Skip to content

Match day thread: Reading

Comments

• @Shev said:
    Cheers @bluntphil -some nice insight there!

In other news, there are not one but two threads on the Sunderland forum celebrating our loss. I wish they could see how this makes them look to normal, sentient beings...

Had a quick look. Truly bizarre.
    Some fans seem to think we're a horrible fusing of Westley Stevenage and the old Wimbledon but much worse.

However, it's funny there's no moans about our "style" this year isn't it? A few managers praising us too, rather than bitter comments about knowing what we're about and "gameplans".

Reminds me of past times when we were a soft touch. We need this to change very quickly or we'll just be fulfilling fixturez and awaiting next season.

• @ChasHarps said:

The low cross he parried out was in the second half, we we lucky that the spill/parry fell to Stewart.
    Their goal Stewart got turned to easy, but the striker although hitting with pace, has not directed t away from the keeper.
    A keeper with more agility and quicker feet would be disappointed to concede that goal.

If you wanted to make the point that almost all of our players are not quite as excellent as it seems is needed for this league at the moment, I think you're knocking at an open door. If you wanted to suggest Allsop is notably deficient to a culpable degree, I think not.

• It's as simple as at the moment we don't have the quality upfront to score sufficient goals. Meanwhile, we're quite rightly focusing on not making sloppy championship errors, which is making it harder to create chances.

It would be hard to get the quality striker Gaz needs at this level though. All out tenacity like Samuel, with power and consistent finishing? They don't come around often.

Meanwhile, I thought Reading were pretty turgid, but had a great striker in form who made the difference.

• Are we really complaining about a narrow 1-0 defeat away to the (currently) 21st best team in the country?

• Yes, we are struggling in front of goal currently but as others have noted the focus has to be about becoming solid defensively before we can start to take risks going forwards.

Yes it’s disappointing that we haven’t got any points yet, but results aside the last two games have shown that we can at least compete with teams in this division.

The two loanees have fitted it pretty well and seem to be good additions that have strengthened the team.

We will come good. Whether good enough to avoid relegation, possibly not, but I’m sure a lot more managers will be echoing the comments from Readings last night.

P

• Not so much complaining about the loss, more discussing the harsh realities of the league, and how at the moment we're unable to create chances.

The only stand out chance we've created all season, was within the first 2 minutes of the first game.

• We will pick up points this season. This run at the start is a bit of a flattener, but we have been a bit unlucky with how many injuries there have been. I think we have the makings of a team that can pick up enough points to survive but it is looking hard right now. The only really disappointing result so far really is Rotherham, and perhaps Millwall. We will hopefully pickup a win soon though!

• @bookertease said:
    The two loanees have fitted it pretty well and seem to be good additions that have strengthened the team.

Adeniran has certainly strengthened the midfield but I'm not so sure about Knight. He looks competent and a useful addition to the squad but I wouldn't say he's better than Charles, who brings so much intelligence and calm to defence, and Tafazolli, who has superior athleticism and will be useful for set pieces, traditionally our main supply of goals.

• In other news, Accrington are the new Wycombe. Doesn't that quote seem so familiar.

• @aloysius said:

@bookertease said:

Adeniran has certainly strengthened the midfield but I'm not so sure about Knight. He looks competent and a useful addition to the squad but I wouldn't say he's better than Charles, who brings so much intelligence and calm to defence, and Tafazolli, who has superior athleticism and will be useful for set pieces, traditionally our main supply of goals.

I love Charles, but he was shown up for pace a few times in the opening weeks. I can only assume that's why Knight has been brought in and immediately deployed in defence. We have tightened up markedly as a result, and I really like the look of him. Charles will definitely get game time though, and I would be quite open to seeing him utilised as one of 3 at the back at some point.

• According to the Bfp Ainsworth's on the lookout for a new striker.......

• @prufrock_91 said:

The only stand out chance we've created all season, was within the first 2 minutes of the first game.

And it's hard not to wonder just how different things might have worked out had that gone in.

• @bigred87 said:
    According to the Bfp Ainsworth's on the lookout for a new striker.......

What’s teletext like these days?

• I think we're a bit "nice", like we're pleased just to be there but don't really think we belong.

We need an arrogant big head like Keith Scott who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread, and a right horrible bastard who'll go round and kick a few people. We need an edge. We haven't really got any horrible players at the moment

• @eric_plant said:
    We haven't really got any horrible players at the moment

I'm sure you'll find a few Sunderland fans who'd disagree.

• @eric_plant said:
    Uche Ikpeazu is our marquee signing and he hasn't played yet and we've heard the square root of fuck all what's wrong with him

Can't believe people can blithely wave their hand along with some nonsensical justification of it

We've lost six straight games and we can't score goals and no-one is even mentioning it. It's absolutely ridiculous

Same goes for Dominic Gape, probably our best player

It's just wrong

@bigred87 said:
    According to the Bfp Ainsworth's on the lookout for a new striker.......

Hopefully that doesn't mean Uche's injury/illness is long term.

• Didn't Uche play at the end againt Blackburn? Which makes it all the stranger.

Sean Devine was out for 18 months without an official word.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    In other news, Accrington are the new Wycombe. Doesn't that quote seem so familiar.

They lost 4-1 to us at home in a really important game, so Barton is clearly serious about preferring to lose to teams with a style he dislikes.

• edited October 2020

Uche was at the ground Saturday without any really obvious problems (no casts, no limp, no crutches etc), hopefully he'll be back soon.

Knight can hit a very accurate long ball to Bayo and in general looks an upgrade to the team. Adeniran has been our best player, but we desperately need more if we're going to beat the worst points total ever.

The technical step up is enormous, even bigger than anticipated personally, even a set piece team like Millwall could keep the ball in a way we could only dream of

• We kept the ball much better last night with some impressively slick interpassing. With the younger blood coming in and developing their understanding of each other’s game this aspect can only improve.
    I think there is little doubt that once Tafazolli gets fit Josh Knight will move into midfield, the position I believe he played throughout last season for Peterborough when he scored that cracking goal of course. Having said that, what a great midfield trio Thompson, Adenarin and Mehmeti would be. As I’ve said before, I can see Mehmeti and Kashket developing a great understanding.

• Surely Gape will be in the midfield three (or more) when fit Micra?

• Gape would be a must for me as well.

I actually think Adenarin might be a real star in a more attacking midfield area.

• Mehmeti is the new Freeman / Ryan Sellers! I'm not sure a couple of perky cameos means he should be considered an automatic choice even for the bench. I was surprised he was played ahead of Wheeler last night.

@Username just out of curiosity how do you know that Uche had no obvious signs of injury on Saturday? Have you got special access to the ground somehow?

• @floyd said:
    Didn't Uche play at the end againt Blackburn? Which makes it all the stranger.

Sean Devine was out for 18 months without an official word.

A mysterious off season injury that even a hint of rumour about is heavily scorned on the gasroom.

• The Phrase of the Thread award goes to @HCBlue for "notably deficient to a culpable degree".

Quality succinctness.

• Maybe Uche has one of them mystery colds that wiped out an entire career of a former player?

• @Username said:
    Uche was at the ground Saturday without any really obvious problems (no casts, no limp, no crutches etc), hopefully he'll be back soon.

Knight can hit a very accurate long ball to Bayo and in general looks an upgrade to the team. Adeniran has been our best player, but we desperately need more if we're going to beat the worst points total ever.

The technical step up is enormous, even bigger than anticipated personally, even a set piece team like Millwall could keep the ball in a way we could only dream of

I'm enjoying the positive posts from some people. It's excellent. But I'm certain that if we lose 27 games in a row their routine won't change.

Rotherham hit a record low of either 23 or 27 points (i forget now) yet scored 40 goals.
    We have one in 6 games, down to some utter madness from Millwall's keeper.

Yes Horgan could have scored game one. Jj could have been allowed etc but this season we're measuring "good chances" as a metric itself!

We're hoping Gape and Uche coming in are massive game changers.

• You seem quite down @Malone . Hope we get a win soon to help you out.
    We've had runs like this under Ainsworth in both Leagues One and Two and come through them.

Even if we don't we've got through a lockdown season in better financial shape

• Getting quite tedious now @malone.

We're all aware of our manifold failings and struggles so far. You'll have to forgive some of us for not donning sackcloth and ashes, and thinking that a marquee signing and our most consistent performer in recent seasons will help out.

• @Malone said:

Rotherham hit a record low of either 23 or 27 points (i forget now) yet scored 40 goals.

23 points. Conceded 98 goals though, which we probably won't d......

Nevermind.