Skip to content

Match day thread: Reading

Comments

• I thought that was a pretty impressive performance. Fred and Mehmeti made a huge difference, Curtis and Dennis were excellent throughout. Every time we go through a bad patch I start questioning the use of Bayo, and I’m usually wrong, but today and on Saturday I thought we were worse with him on the pitch as we lose the ability to press high, and when you’re playing against a good side who are happy to knock it about across the back to protect a lead you really need that high press.

• Odd isn't it to suddenly see loads of comments on here from people who were silent when we were getting promoted. Back to your hovels, you rancid little trolls.

• Still only 3 points from 21st place.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Odd isn't it to suddenly see loads of comments on here from people who were silent when we were getting promoted. Back to your hovels, you rancid little trolls.

They certainly seem to revel in the misery.
    Whereas personally I'm finding it quite a tough watch this season.

• @drcongo said:
    I thought that was a pretty impressive performance. Fred and Mehmeti made a huge difference, Curtis and Dennis were excellent throughout. Every time we go through a bad patch I start questioning the use of Bayo, and I’m usually wrong, but today and on Saturday I thought we were worse with him on the pitch as we lose the ability to press high, and when you’re playing against a good side who are happy to knock it about across the back to protect a lead you really need that high press.

If we were mid-table, you'd find little to complain about today apart from our toothlessness in attack. But we're not and I tend to agree with @malone's prognosis.

• Bayo certainly changes the way we have to play, but our best chance came because he was occupying two or three defenders. we really need Fred to have more games like tonight.

One mistake, one shot on target, one goal. Really tough to take.

• @Stewie63 said:
    Still only 3 points from 21st place.

How long into the season is it going to be until this sort of post stops?

15 games in? Only 12 points off etc?

• @eric_plant said:
    Haven't been impressed with Reading at all

Would be surprised to see them at the top come the end of the season

They certainly aren't the most inspiring team to watch but they've ground out some impressive results this season. Considering the amount of money they've lavished on their squad beyond the club's means, they really ought to be where they are.

• I fear we may be setting some unwanted records... a real shame i don't think any of us thought we'd start with a 0-0-6, Reading needed one chance tonight and comfortably saw the game out. I can't help thinking we are messing up not investing a bit more, could be 30years before we are back?

• @kiscokid said:
    Sky commentator dreadful and clearly hates Wycombe. Sky no replays or camera angles either. So glad to be back with Phil & Glenn Hoddle/Redknapp clone for the second half

Sky commentator was too bland and unemotional to show hatred towards anyone or anything but it’s very unusual nowadays to have one person on their own, no-one to spark off. I switched to my iPhone for most of the second half and enjoyed @bluntphil and Csnvey Man.
    Many green shoots tonight but not enough shots. Probably deserved a point on the balance of play and the improvement in style (ie slick interpassing) was very encouraging. The three recently arrived youngsters (Knight, Adenarin and Mehmeti) all impressive. The upward trajectory continues.

• All is not yet lost is, I think, the point, @malone.

• edited October 2020

Promotion or bust according to the guy Phil had on RTBs. I don't envy them.> @ReadingMarginalista said:

@eric_plant said:
    Haven't been impressed with Reading at all

Would be surprised to see them at the top come the end of the season

They certainly aren't the most inspiring team to watch but they've ground out some impressive results this season. Considering the amount of money they've lavished on their squad beyond the club's means, they really ought to be where they are.

• @drcongo said:
    I thought that was a pretty impressive performance. Fred and Mehmeti made a huge difference, Curtis and Dennis were excellent throughout. Every time we go through a bad patch I start questioning the use of Bayo, and I’m usually wrong, but today and on Saturday I thought we were worse with him on the pitch as we lose the ability to press high, and when you’re playing against a good side who are happy to knock it about across the back to protect a lead you really need that high press.

I agree with all that, mehmeti is a really good prospect let himself down with the shot though.

• Weird mix of feelings after that - definitely our best performance so far but I absolutely have the same sinking feeling as @Malone. It feels like Ikpeazu is the only hope we have of scoring the goals we need and if we can't get him fit and firing soon then it may be too late.

Still, Reading have spent millions and had to chuck on loanees from Benfica and Porto before they could score. We more then matched them on the whole tonight and that should be a huge source of pride for us all.

• At this point in time, being perfectly realistic, I do feel we are extremely likely to get relegated. Whether it is being completely outplayed (Blackburn, some of Swansea), last gasp goals (Rotherham), unfairly ruled out goals (Luton, Millwall) or having the better of the play and losing to a single chance in 90 mins (Reading), we are losing in every way possible. I hate to bemoan luck, but ours has been awful. I can't help but think if Horgan had scored in the first minute against Rotherham, the whole season would be very different.

That being said...this team could lose all 46 and I would beam with pride, as long as they continue to play with that commitment and persistence. We are not "garbage", "disgraceful" or anything like that. We have achieved the unthinkable, and now have to face Goliath every week. I am never going to moan about a team whose wage bill is about 10% of the league average. We have gone toe to toe in so many of these games. It may not be enough to save us over the course of a season, but it reinforces all the pride I felt at that promotion.

This might be our only season in the second tier - I would rather see it as the prize for what we achieved last season, than adjust my expectations to being annoyed we can't always cope against players who cost millions.

• @HCblue said:
    All is not yet lost is, I think, the point, @malone.

Yep - i will take my negative hat off to bed I think, as I'm thinking worryingly along the same lines as some of the ultra negative chaps tonight.

See you all saturday.

• Reading were the best team we've played bar Blackburn - super solid defensively and had enough quality to make what little they created count. We created more against them than either Derby or Middlesbrough did. Still look a little light up front, but let's judge our attacking output once Ikpeazu is back. Mehmeti was excellent again, what a find - hopefully gets a chance against the club that let him go on Saturday.

• Solid performance and very impressive in some respects. Reading top of the league, but only managed 1 shot on target all night. That 1 bit of skill has won it for them. Ikpeazu's absence is very frustrating, as he looks to be exactly the kind of player we're missing.

Fred looked close to his best when he came on and gave us a cutting edge we lacked previously. Let's hope this gets him going, as he's been below his usual standard so far this season and we need him on form.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    that was absolute garbage, let's wait for GA saying we were great....we have been terrible and toothless all season,.we.are brining on our B team to be our saviour....its not fair on him...this season is going to be an impossible task.

What on earth was the point of that post? Piss-poor wind-up from a Col U fan?

• @Wanderers82 said:
    that was absolute garbage, let's wait for GA saying we were great....we have been terrible and toothless all season,.we.are brining on our B team to be our saviour....its not fair on him...this season is going to be an impossible task.

Grow up

• Norwich and Watford the next two...

• Sorry even with our injuries, we must have someone better than Samuel. Hardworking but really no threat at all. Why not try Wheeler or Fred upfront.

• edited October 2020

We are probably unlucky in so far as we invested heavily in Uche who appears to be a "sicknote". Hopefully we will eventually see him earning his money on the pitch.

Midfield and defence are doing ok but we are so powderpuff up front without Uche and up till now Bayo.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Reading were the best team we've played bar Blackburn - super solid defensively and had enough quality to make what little they created count. We created more against them than either Derby or Middlesbrough did. Still look a little light up front, but let's judge our attacking output once Ikpeazu is back. Mehmeti was excellent again, what a find - hopefully gets a chance against the club that let him go on Saturday.

Thought Swansea were miles better

Wasn't impressed with Reading at all.

• Played 6 ..... lost 6.

Goals For 1.

Relegation favourites.

• Fred coming on gave us such a filip. He plays intelligent balls with pinpoint accuracy and, today more than previously, looked up for the fight. That chance he had towards the end on the volley shows what he can do down the middle. I see quite a few on here were calling for Bayo to come on though once again I respectfully disagree. He was robbed of the ball too often, didn't even jump for it at the one corner we had and his flick-ons when he does get the ball rarely connect. I'd love to see us try a front three of Wheeler, Fred and Horgan soon with Fred in the middle.

Adeniran clearly man of the match, he was everywhere in the middle of the park in the way that Bloomfield used to be. I look forward to a middle three of him, Thompson and Gape, whenever the latter is ready to play again.

• @mooneyman said:
    We are probably unlucky in so far as we invested heavily in Uche who appears to be a "sicknote". Hopefully we will eventually see him earning his money on the pitch.

it would be good to get some kind indication on when.we can expect to. see our injured players back...the list is ever growing

• @floyd said:

Promotion or bust according to the guy Phil had on RTBs. I don't envy them

When has anyone ever envied Reading?

• @eric_plant said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Reading were the best team we've played bar Blackburn - super solid defensively and had enough quality to make what little they created count. We created more against them than either Derby or Middlesbrough did. Still look a little light up front, but let's judge our attacking output once Ikpeazu is back. Mehmeti was excellent again, what a find - hopefully gets a chance against the club that let him go on Saturday.

Thought Swansea were miles better

Wasn't impressed with Reading at all.

Oh crap, totally forgot Swansea. Yeah, they were.

• That game could easily have ended a draw, which would have been a very good result.

We are really suffering from the Rotherham, Millwall and Luton games where we could and should have got point on the board. Had things gone just slightly differently in those games we would be on 4-5 point and feel a lot happier.

Overall we played well I felt. All over the pitch players were competitive and it was nothing like the mauling we got from Blackburn and Swansea.

The clear and obvious problem now is up front. Samuel and Kashkett are fine players themselves but that combination together against Championship defences isn’t going to be able to deliver goals. We need Ikpeazu and/or Bayo fit to give us a chance. The goal Reading scored tonight was a hoofed ball that the striker turned into a goal from nothing. That is precisely the sort of thing we need Ikpeazu for.

If Ikpeazu is out long term I’d be tempted to try Fred up top, perhaps with Horgan - who looks very handy in my view - given licence to roam around him.