Skip to content

Chairboys Central 2020/21 content

Starting a thread for non-match bits so I don't clog this place up. Overview of Josh Knight: https://chairboyscentral.com/2020/10/07/new-blue-josh-knight/

Comments

• Good stuff, thanks.

• Thanks @chairboyscentral. Really helpful and informative as always

• Interesting thoughts and insights as usual.

• @Jonny_King you are a m a z i n g. Crazy, of course, but amazing. Thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Have only watched part of the FA Cup semi-final video but two things struck me - how combative we have been for most of the last 20 years and what an absolutely outstanding ‘keeper we had in Martin Taylor.

You’ve been missed on the Gasroom recently. Not surprising of course in the circumstances but great that you are able to watch most games on the small screen and occasionally on a much larger one.

Looking at the photograph I was puzzled by the 1985 date. Unless you were a giant five year old that can’t be right. As I reckon you are the right side of 40, even that ridiculous theory doesn’t hold water - unlike that shoe en route to Leeds.

Hope you and yours are keeping well.

• That was an excellent read. "...and a Plymouth-supporting friend, keen to see a team doing well..." made me smile, and “stung the palms of McCormick with a thumping shit” made me laugh out loud.

• Ditto - superb work.
    Certainly makes me feel sheepish at dragging myself 4miles to some games feeling hard done by!

@Jonny_King , what sort of work do you do that seemingly can only be done in the south and south west? Or is that just chance that it took you solely to those places?

• All of that and you also volunteer to edit The Wanderer? I salute @Jonny_King but he is a madman!

• Great read and brought back wonderful memories of going on the coach up & down the country before I had a car, a son and a bit more disposal income!

My first two away days on the WWISC coach were consecutive Tuesday night away trips to Wrexham and Oldham in October 2000.

That got me hooked on away day coach travel and by the time I'd gone all the way to Bury and back for two pints of lager the following season and no match, there rest was history.

• @micra said:
    @Jonny_King you are a m a z i n g. Crazy, of course, but amazing. Thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Have only watched part of the FA Cup semi-final video but two things struck me - how combative we have been for most of the last 20 years and what an absolutely outstanding ‘keeper we had in Martin Taylor.

You’ve been missed on the Gasroom recently. Not surprising of course in the circumstances but great that you are able to watch most games on the small screen and occasionally on a much larger one.

Looking at the photograph I was puzzled by the 1985 date. Unless you were a giant five year old that can’t be right. As I reckon you are the right side of 40, even that ridiculous theory doesn’t hold water - unlike that shoe en route to Leeds.

Hope you and yours are keeping well.

Must admit i thought he was a bit older than 34!

• @Jonny_King from one Devonian exile to another, I salute you. I am not keen enough to make the 450 mile trip very often even by car unless I have other reasons to be in the SE to combine the trip.

If ever we are allowed to games again and we are playing say a Bristol side , do give me a shout and if I am going maybe I can pick you up from say Exeter Services or Topsham to make the trip a little easier. (I should recognise you OK - as a relative northener I presume you'll be wearing a cloth cap and eating a black pudding. No room in the car for the whippet though....)

• Not sure where you get 34 from @Malone. I just saw 1985 under a picture of @Jonny_King (and many others) in which he looked within a few years of the guy I met a couple of times last season (or the one before) with fellow Independents selling The Wanderer in Hillbottom Road.

• It's his username, not the date ?

• So he is 35 then. Probably. Unusual usual name (or even username).

• edited October 2020

@micra said:
    Not sure where you get 34 from @Malone. I just saw 1985 under a picture of @Jonny_King (and many others) in which he looked within a few years of the guy I met a couple of times last season (or the one before) with fellow Independents selling The Wanderer in Hillbottom Road.

Well, there was this line....

"I left home and High Wycombe behind aged 18 as I travelled down to the south coast in 2004 to start a job in Portsmouth"

So I added 16 on... but then ahem, hadn't noticed the 1985 in his username! So he's more likely to be 35 I grant you, but not if he has a late year bday :)

Anyway, as we were...

• Good article, cheers @Jonny_King @chairboyscentral regardless of ages

• Apparently it’s a username (somewhat oddly) but you are more eagle eyed than I am @Malone and I hadn’t spotted the very obvious clue in the line you quoted. Cheers mate, I’ll sleep well tonight!

You callow youth @Jonny_King.

• Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the kind comments and also to @chairboyscentral for the invite to pen something.

I have indeed (just) turned 35, (Micra, I had to add 1985 to my username, as 'Jonny King' was already taken). To add to the confusion - that photo is ancient, from about 2008/2009, but I realised I didn't have any more recent ones than that. It's from an away game at Exeter and was actually taken by an Exeter-supporting friend from one of their stands.

@micra I've missed the Gasroom too, but sadly I've found I've just not had the time to keep up to date with it these days. I still read the odd thread now and then, but I have been so busy with various projects, I've had to become a lot more ruthless with productivity, chiefly what I do online! I am keeping well though thanks, although I did have a brief moment of unbridled fury this afternoon, but I can't think about that too much right now.

@malone I'm a military musician (yes, that is a real job thank you very much) so have been at the mercy of wherever I've been posted. Mostly it's been pretty good - I loved living in Portsmouth and Exmouth is nice, if a little quiet. Plymouth is absolutely rancid and I'd held this opinion long before Derek Adams first started his squealing.

@DevC That is a very kind offer, thank you. Might be a while before I'm able to take you up on it sadly.

Raising a beer to all my fellow Chairpeople tonight. Win or lose, it's tough not getting to see and interact with you guys in real life, but we'll come out the other side of this and will hopefully be able to celebrate our miraculous last day Championship survival together. (Paul Emblen's a free agent...)

• Thanks for that @Jonny_King.
    We definitely will meet again (even if the ranks have been thinned a little - it’s being so cheerful as keeps me going!)

• My daughter has a friend just starting his training as a military musician in Twickenham @Jonny_King should I warn him he might end up in Plymouth?

• That’s a great read and pulls at the heart strings of all our away day memories, not that I’ve been stupid enough to get on a Plymouth coach! I did however end up in the home end in Stockport and forgot where I was sat.
    My local game is tonight and I’m hoping we can put on a fine display against the overspending Hob Nobs.
    The last sentence sums up our manager, players and the ethos of the club.

• @Wendoverman said:
    My daughter has a friend just starting his training as a military musician in Twickenham @Jonny_King should I warn him he might end up in Plymouth?

Indeed @Wendoverman. Who would want to live in a vibrant city with a stunning coastline, a national park on its doorstep and a national marine park adjacent, the joys of the SW Coast path running through it, sandy beaches just down the road, good quality varied restaurants, a thriving live music scene, a theatre recognised as a national leader In regional theatre and a recently opened museum likely to be similarly regarded and a city not scared to run the "moaning adams" species out of town (although that took longer than it should to be fair). Who would want any of that when you could live in the world-renowned cultural nirvana that is High Wycombe or better still Wendover…..

I cant help remembering our Neanderthals singing "you live in a shithole" to the home fans at Bootham Crescent without even a hint of irony or self-awareness.

• Because all football songs are based on fact, right dev?

• @DevC said:

@Wendoverman said:
    My daughter has a friend just starting his training as a military musician in Twickenham @Jonny_King should I warn him he might end up in Plymouth?

Indeed @Wendoverman. Who would want to live in a vibrant city with a stunning coastline, a national park on its doorstep and a national marine park adjacent, the joys of the SW Coast path running through it, sandy beaches just down the road, good quality varied restaurants, a thriving live music scene, a theatre recognised as a national leader In regional theatre and a recently opened museum likely to be similarly regarded and a city not scared to run the "moaning adams" species out of town (although that took longer than it should to be fair). Who would want any of that when you could live in the world-renowned cultural nirvana that is High Wycombe or better still Wendover…..

I cant help remembering our Neanderthals singing "you live in a shithole" to the home fans at Bootham Crescent without even a hint of irony or self-awareness.

What a stunningly ignorant piece of rubbish. Some people love the delights of Devon and others love living on Wycombe. All depends what interests you and what network of family and friends around you.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@DevC said:

@Wendoverman said:

What a stunningly ignorant piece of rubbish. Some people love the delights of Devon and others love living on Wycombe. All depends what interests you and what network of family and friends around you.

So Minuses for Plymouth please, you know Dev likes to be thorough...

• I would have had trouble not piping up with "Shit Ground, No fans" had I been allowed in at Wembley btw, the silliest chants often outweigh any attempts to merely shout about how crap a place is, or team are.

• @Malone said:
    Because all football songs are based on fact, right dev?

Are you suggesting we are NOT the greatest team the world has ever seen @Malone?

• The brilliance of that chant is in the proclamation that we are BY FAR the greatest team, not just some lame greatest team.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:
    Because all football songs are based on fact, right dev?

Are you suggesting we are NOT the greatest team the world has ever seen @Malone?

Before this season we obviously were.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@DevC said:

@Wendoverman said:

As a response to the express criticism of his home town, it was perfectly reasonable and in any context wholly undeserving of the first sentence of your reply.