Skip to content

Match day thread: Millwall

Comments

• Thank goodness for the intelligent comments from the Millwall fan above, they balance out the less intelligent comments from one or two of our posters.
    I am encouraged by the fact that we have become more competitive with each game. We have only looked out of our depth against Blackburn and in the first half against Swansea. We have good players coming back from injury.
    We have been the victims of some poor refereeing decisions. We will get better.

• @glasshalffull - Sorry thought you posted recently that you never question or undermine the knowledge of some of the posters on the forum. I quote’’ less intelligent comments’’. Oops.

• I have never been reluctant to question the negativity and lack of realism displayed by certain posters.If that comes across as doubting their knowledge of football then so be it.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    What I refuse to do though is defend this group of players to trolls intent on moaning, destroying and generally disrupting. If you are not going to support the team at the moment just say nothing at all. That goes for those answering them too. Don't give them anything to breath on.

How’s that going for you Righty?

I’m remaining positive, but today was a real sickener. We’ll find a formula that will give us a fighting chance. That formula will almost certainly include Gape and Ikpeazu in some capacity. Their ongoing absence is a real concern.

• @davecz my opinion and I realise I am likely to get shot down or cyber bullied (WAAAAAH!) and this opinion which is mine is not constructive at all is that you are a depressingly negative one note mixer who is on a bit of a roll at the moment. I think we'll survive. You don't. Deabte? I think that's your season sorted for you. It seems an opposition fan is more positive about your team's chances than you are...

• There were so many positives today. Curtis Thompson was back to his skilfully competitive best, Kashket was a threat every time he got the ball in or near the penalty box, Allsop looked sound and was only beaten by a penalty and a Worldie from former Southend stalwart Ryan Leonard, and 19 year old debutant Anis Mehmeti impressed with his composure, skill and vision - he is described as an attacking midfielder and he already seemed to have an understanding with Kashket. I can see those two becoming key members of the squad in due course.

We were lucky today in one respect - ie the number of near misses and shots which struck the post and bar - but I don’t think it would be too unkind to say that we had a makeshift back four (as we have on at least one other occasion this season).
    We have seen both Stewart and McCarthy playing out of position and, as I understand it, Josh Knight played as a box to box midfielder for Peterborough last season. When Tafazolli returns Stewart would be able to move back to the position he occupied for the whole of last season and Josh Knight would be a candidate for centre mid behind Uche Ikpeazu. We would then have a very tall spine.

May I add my own appreciation of the mature and intelligent words of reassurance from @MillwallMatt. As someone else has said, it’s a marathon not a sprint and we know it will take time to adjust but there has been steady improvement already and there are important players (perhaps one or two not yet in the building) waiting in the wings.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I have never been reluctant to question the negativity and lack of realism displayed by certain posters.If that comes across as doubting their knowledge of football then so be it.

I question whether you have to be more intelligent to interpret the phrase "less intelligent".

• @MillwallMatt said:
    Millwall fan here with a connection to the wanderers. Grew up in Bucks and my first ever season ticket was with Wycombe through the kids football i played growing up, so that combined with a number of wanderers mates means I've always kept an eye on Wycombe and normally get down to a game or two a season to catch up with old pals.

Funny game today really - I never felt comfortable even though I think the second half demonstrated that we have a couple of players that are a bit of a level above those you'd have faced in league one (Jed Wallace and Ryan Woods in particular), but never felt Wycombe were out of it. Also a far better game than I had expected what with two team famed for being direct and defensive.

The disallowed goal was clearly, obviously and embarrassingly wrong from the Lino and should have stood. Far from the only ropey bit of refereeing though - think we had a pretty decent shout for a penalty first half when Stewart got the wrong side of bradshaw and brought him down.

Overall as a comment on Wycombe though - Luton and Barnsley were both dead and buried at points last season and both survived after tightening up over the winter and earning the right to play a bit. I wouldn't be too disheartened by the start as the step-up from Lg1 to Champ is huge these days and it takes time to adjust. There will be players getting time in this league who will be playing international football within a couple of years (although none of ours will!) - you just don't face that quality regularly in league one.

If Ainsworth can get you guys a bit more competitive in the middle of the pitch I reckon your defence is good enough to give you a chance, and Jacobsen will create and score goals, and I think Samuel looks a really decent player. Hope Fred comes good for you but I've always felt he had the physical attributes but can't impose himself against technically good defenders like he can against the cloggers below.

Once that first win comes and a couple of players get off the mark things will improve substantially. There's also nearly always at least one team that the wheels completely come off in this league - with Weds already adrift due to the deduction I reckon surival is absolutely doable as long as you don't get too adrift too quickly.

No idea what we're aiming for this season. Got some real quality in the side but no depth which will prob be our undoing.

Good luck for the season, hope you guys stay up and some of the non-entity sides like QPR and Reading drop instead.

Thanks for your positive and encouraging comments, Matt. I hope the season goes well for you, too.

It was an interesting game to watch today; different to the previous three against established Championship teams. Your style seemed more familiar to me during the game and I thus fancied our chances to get something, especially after we scored. Your chap Smith is handy in the air, isn't he?!

• @davecz said:
    @glasshalffull - Sorry thought you posted recently that you never question or undermine the knowledge of some of the posters on the forum. I quote’’ less intelligent comments’’. Oops.

Knowledge & intelligence are not the same.

• @davecz said:
    @drcongo - I am interested in your views . What comments of mine do you find idiotic ? I’m keen to debate .

All of them. But in particular this

@davecz said:
    we don’t look like scoring certainly with Samuel upfront.

on a day where we have just done exactly that.

• It was a bit more encouraging yesterday, and obviously Joe's goal being ruled out was sickening, but I was pleased to hear Gaz acknowledge the sloppy mistakes that led to the Millwall goals.

As to what we coud do differently to deny chances, surely there is more that the keeper could do. I know I am one of those who bang on about this, but shouldn't Allsop be coming off his line to deny Smith the chances with those headers and take the pressure off his defence? There were some crosses from Romeo and Wallace in the second half from deep in particular that he had ample time to read and space to collect and yet Smith gets to challenge the full-back for them on our 6-yard line.

• Looks like Kashket did indeed foul the keeper so I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. Fair play to the linesman for spotting it.

Big shame as I think the keeper would have struggled anyway such was the precision of the delivery. Maybe it's something they've worked on and got caught out this time

• Ps completely agree about Allsopp. Baffles me week in week out when I come on here and read people saying how well he's played. It was one relatively easy way in which we could have immediately improved the side. I can only think that him following Brown means that Gaz and Dobbo want a keeper that stays in his goal

• Allsop and our back four have always been vunerable to a back post cross but the Millwall guys weren't loopong them in like so many last year where I was shouting at Allsop to claim them. They were whipping them in and I can't see Allsop being able to get them regularly.

It was a shame for those putting in the crosses that they didn't lead to loads of goals. Bayo would have a hattrick with that level of service. The Millwall centre forward missed every one and the only ones that led to goals were where in engineered the foul by slowing up and where he could lay it off with his foot.

• @eric_plant said:
    Looks like Kashket did indeed foul the keeper so I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. Fair play to the linesman for spotting it.

Big shame as I think the keeper would have struggled anyway such was the precision of the delivery. Maybe it's something they've worked on and got caught out this time

Kashket’s foul on the ‘keeper was when he scored. Neither he nor any other Wycombe player got near the ‘keeper for the disallowed goal. Kind of rough justice there.

@our_frank frank, as one who described Allsop’s performance as “sound” I confess that the comment was based (in the interests of much needed positivity) on what he did rather than what he didn’t do. You are right about his reluctance to come out for crosses. I can only think that the consensus among the coaching staff, based on a long history of observation, is that goals (or penalties) are just as likely (or more likely) to result if he comes out and fumbles or punches/parries the ball straight towards an oncoming opponent.

• Kashket fouled the keeper for JJ's disallowed goal. It was the correct decision and an excellent spot by the linesman.

I too was adamant that it was a terrible decision but fair play to Dean Ashton on yesterday's Qwest highlights who spotted it and pointed it out

• @eric_plant said:
    Kashket fouled the keeper for JJ's disallowed goal. It was the correct decision and an excellent spot by the linesman.

I too was adamant that it was a terrible decision but fair play to Dean Ashton on yesterday's Qwest highlights who spotted it and pointed it out

no chance was that a foul ....the game has gone mad

• Crikey. My apologies @eric_plant. My only defence is that the only replays I watch are the ones shown on iFollow at the time and, because I failed miserably to get the match on my laptop, I had to watch myopically on the tiny screen of my iPhone. But I did spot Kashket grappling with the ‘keeper as he performed his badly executed dragback! We really must cut down on the fouling or at least be a bit more subtle about it.

• I don't think there was a foul for either goal.

• Ok. I can't see Kashket holding the keepers hand. The lino is reported to have said he saw a shirt pull so that doesn't tie up.

Just for one moment lets assume it did happen and its deemed a foul? How many crosses in to the box would be completed legally if any hand or arm holding were blown up? That's without shirt pulling, holding and simple rugby tackling.
    If we then add the one inch offside rule the top flight have been inflicted with too the whole game breaks down.

JJ's goal should have stood yesterday but if it was a foul how many others weren't given and how many penalties could there have been?

• Eyes of beholders ‘n’ all that @Chris.

• Beauty and fouls.

• Anyone know who was captain yesterday?
    Sean Morrison just voted Man of the Match for Cardiff as much as anything for his organisation and inspiration as captain. Who was the last Wycombe captain to wield that kind of influence?

• Paul Hayes in his pomp. I’m not a fan of strikers as captain but he was brilliant at it.

• He spent a lot of time trying to curb Sido’s wandering spirit.

• For all his shortcomings I thought Adam El-Abd was excellent at organising the defence. Not sure he was inspirational.

• Wonder if we might see Darius on Tuesday. Would that make us too vulnerable to rapid right side attacks?

• Very difficult. We need JJ on the pitch (although his free kicks have been a bit “iffy” lately).

• Are you talking to yourself @micra ??

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Are you talking to yourself @micra ??

Perhaps Mrs Micra has sent him to Coventry!