Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @mooneyman said:
    In my opinion he had shown a lot of potential Eric and this could have been developed by Gareth and co. Better than Aarons and Smyth.

Agreed, took a while but started to show real class. He was part that fairly awful pre-couhig window where him, Bryn Morris and I think one other loanee were stolen away by people who could actually pay for them thereby killing what had been a good start.

• Bit harsh on JJ

• Matty Ingram just criticised on Sky for coming too far out of his goal to collect a ball. Obviously don't know their basic Gasroom knowledge.

• Randell Williams was the finest exponent of backward somersaults (after scoring) I have ever seen.

• Craig Mackail Smith just scored for Bedford again.

• Angelo Balanta playing left wingback (I think) for Wealdstone at Chigwell Construction Stadium. Guess where that is - trips off the tongue doesn’t it. He’s 30 now but still scoring every 4 or 5 games. I think the Weston playing on the left wing is probably Myles. Dagenham of course.

• Balanta is playing for Dagenham

• Dagenham of course.

• "hopeful Premiership journeymen such as Guppy"

Had to stop reading right there.

• I was so delighted for him when he got that cap, though.

• edited October 2020

I got Guppy 11 on an England shirt after that, I was so proud :)

And that lineup v Belgium was a proper quality lineup, Shearer, Beckham etc, all of them.
    It's not like now where you'll have some 10 appearance merchant hastily called up.

Guppy should have got more caps. I recall he was either on the bench or injured for that Scotland playoff double header. Plus he racked up B caps and overage U21 caps too.
    So "One cap wonder" certainly doesn't tell the whole story.

Greatest irony was the guy who brought him to Newcastle then didn't bother using him, ended up giving him the cap!

As for that article, it's pointless. Back then all wingers played on their "proper" foot, nowadays tonneloads don't as they like to "cut in"
    And we have a tonneload of fullbacks.

• @drcongo said:
    "hopeful Premiership journeymen such as Guppy"

Jonathan Liew is absolutely dreadful. He's also describing Jason Wilcox as a Premier League journeyman, by which he presumably means Premier League winner?

• @eric_plant said:

@drcongo said:
    "hopeful Premiership journeymen such as Guppy"

Jonathan Liew is absolutely dreadful. He's also describing Jason Wilcox as a Premier League journeyman, by which he presumably means Premier League winner?

Is he the one that Jonathan Agnew called a c***?

• It's a crime that Guppy didn't get more England caps. In his time at Leicester he put in more crosses that reached a teammate than anyone else in the league, including Beckham.

• Paul Smyth joins Charlton on loan

• edited October 2020

The silence is deafening

Wrong thread, but hoping the fact there’s been nothing from the club means there might still be something in the pipeline.

• They’re not going to pipe up

• ..,,,that there’s nothing in the pipeline.

• First half Matt McClure hat-trick in 10 minutes for Gloucester City, in their 6-1 home win against Blyth Spartans. Crazy that they play in National North.

Elliot Benyon scored for Oxford City in their 4-0 home win v Tonbridge Angels.

• Spotlight on Eberechi Eze in the build-up to Palace v Brighton including live footage of our former hero, smiling away as usual despite Schlupp getting the nod ahead of him. Typically, in all the studio chat about his trials and tribulations at several big clubs, no mention (that I heard) of his successful development at Wycombe.

• Stuart Beavon scored his fifth of the season for Mickleover, in their 3-0 win at Ashton United.

• Luke O’Nien sent off for Sunderland, giving away a penalty in the process.

• The Mackems seem very under-enthused about both Scowen and O9...I wonder if we would see them back at AP at some point?

• The Mackems seem to get quite upset about lots of things over quite a short period of time. Would be horrible having to play under that pressure before you even think about the crackpots running the club

• @Wendoverman said:
    The Mackems seem very under-enthused about both Scowen and O9...I wonder if we would see them back at AP at some point?

Next season id say.

(I'll get my coat)

• 09 seems to really have them baffled...he is a great guy who will play in any position asked and always gives 100%...but seems to be considered a poor player. They don't want him in midfield but think it's crazy he's being asked to play out of position...!

• Sammy Wood and Ade Azeez both on the score sheet for Dover tonight.

• Alfie needing knee surgery https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/mawson-undergoes-surgery/
    Hopefully recovers quickly.