Skip to content

Match day thread: Millwall

Comments

• Looking at the pictures put out by the club on twitter, us there any chance the lino thinks the ball goes in off the arm of Fred?

It didn't, and as far as I could see a good goal was disallowed but ...

https://mobile.twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status/1317487394694856704/photo/2

• If the stats are to be believed we have had 10 shots on target in five games, whilst our opponents have had 37. I think it is reasonable to say that we were more competitive today than we have been since the opening day, and it is nice to score a goal at last, so it is not all gloom, but we clearly still have distinct weaknesses that all our opponents have been able to exploit.

If we could achieve 10 points by Christmas that would be a significant achievement.

• @aloysius said:

I fear Bayo showed in his 25 minutes why it might be a season too far against Championship defenders, though these five matches have shown that our only real option is to double down on the long ball to a big man up front. At least with Bayo back we can play to our strengths, and hope that Kashket, Horgan, Wheeler or Fred can benefit from the second balls. An update on Ikpeazu's injury status would also be nice to have.

Give him a chance! He's just come back from a knee op after less than an hour of football in eight months.

• @Twizz said:
    Looking at the pictures put out by the club on twitter, us there any chance the lino thinks the ball goes in off the arm of Fred?

It didn't, and as far as I could see a good goal was disallowed but ...

https://mobile.twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status/1317487394694856704/photo/2

He indicated it was for shirt pull.

• Looked like work in progress today, with the emphasis on progress. Probably almost as hard for the players to have JJ's goal disallowed as it was for us watching at home, therefore it was encouraging that we looked at least as likely to score as them in the last 15 minutes. I wish we could have been there today as the crowd reaction might have encouraged a conference between the referee and the 'guesswork' linesman.

We would have been happy with that as our second game this season.

• The disallowed goal is genuinely one of the worst decisions I have ever seen.

I can accept when officials miss things. it's hard to have to look at lots of things all at the same time. What is completely unforgivable though is giving things that didn't actually happen.

And the referee is not blameless. He was looking at the goal and he must have known the keeper wasn't fouled. All he had to do is go over to the linesman, ask him what he thought he'd seen, and overrule him.

An absolutely pathetic display from the officials and it's left a sour taste in the mouth

• @davecz said:
    Clearly a better performance but realistically did we ever look like winning the game. What is happening with all these injuries? Are we just unlucky at the moment or have we bought a duff in Uche? Why did we buy Parker? How can Horgan play for the Republic and cannot start for us.
    I share the same concerns as @Malone that we are likely to end up with the lowest points ever. Average points to stay up is 45. We now need an average of more than 1 point a game.

You can't really expect Horgan to start when he was playing in Finland on wednesday, particularly when we have another game on Tuesday.

• Someone's zoomed in on the photo and Fred is pulling Kashket's shirt. SURELY he's not given it for that.

• @mooneyman - Surely this early in the season , he should be able to play after a couple of days rest. It’s not as if he has flown half way around the world.. Seems a strange decision as we don’t look like scoring certainly with Samuel upfront.

• @davecz said:
    @mooneyman - Surely this early in the season , he should be able to play after a couple of days rest. It’s not as if he has flown half way around the world.. Seems a strange decision as we don’t look like scoring certainly with Samuel upfront.

We scored with Samuel up front. Today.

Horgan hadn't trained with the squad.

• It was a gutsy positive performance and I think a good game overall, but as others have already said, Millwall were way ahead on the quality and number of chances created.

I think we could have a tough time going gung-ho in the first half and then tiring in the second. I wonder if results continue like this if we might play a more defensive counterattacking style.

• Some can argue the lino is human. Mistakes and wrong decisions happen. However, for one of the most watched leagues in europe we should have better. The lino will go home, watch the highlights and say oh fuck. Ah well. Thats the problem. He wont lose out but the club have, the fans who paid a tenner have lost out too. Three points to us is gold dust. Some may say this is football but i never remember officials being this useless ever. I have seen better at non league.

• This isn't parks football @davecz. We have 7 games in the next three weeks and then another international break when no doubt he will be selected again. Do you really think he can perform at his best playing every minute of every game. The reason we have a squad is so players can be rested from time to time.

• @mooneyman - we need points now, so surely you play your best team. We are only 5 games into the season.

• Didn't watch the game, just watched the highlights..... why was JJ's goal disallowed?

• @davecz said:
    @mooneyman - we need points now, so surely you play your best team. We are only 5 games into the season.

You are very very dull

• The annoying thing, most of all, is being robbed of the catharsis. If we had lost 3-2 after the goal was given, I would be in a much better mood, as it would still have been a lovely moment in what was a very good game to watch.

• I am massively, massively proud of this team, no matter what happens.

• Interestingly, Gareth said that the linesman told him the goal was disallowed for a foul in the 'keeper. None of our players were near him.

• Things always balance out over the season. So at least we can look forward to getting some absolute shockers going our way later on...

• If the lino thinks he can see a shirt pull on the keeper he must need new glasses. He guessed and the ref just made it worse by not putting him right ...

Didn't they say he referred a game in the Nations League during the international break?

• @eric_plant - is that the best you can come up with? Surely you have some constructive comments or opinions about the game.

• @bigred87 said:
    Didn't watch the game, just watched the highlights..... why was JJ's goal disallowed?

No-one who has seen the multiple replays can say.

• OK. I watched it another bunch of times. It is conceivable that Scotty had a hand on the keeper round the back of the defender between the two of them that impeded the keeper's movement. I say that because of the reaction of the keeper in his movements rather than because I could see it clearly. I assume that's what the decision was based on. If it was, I don't quite know how the linesman could have seen it...

• It's almost like they couldn't believe a keeper could make that error, so had to rule it out.

• So it would appear that the goal was disallowed because the linesman thought there must have been a foul and the referee couldn't be bothered.

Oh well.
    We have learnt JJ can score direct from a corner in the Championship.
    We saw in the last 15 minutes how the Wycombe spirit is setback iproof n the Championship.
    We also see that Bayo poses a threat to an unusually overgrown defence in the Championship.

Highest ever finish here we come.

• Every view so far has been from the opposite side to the linesmans view. Would be great to see it from the other side if only to give him an excuse as to why he should ever officiate again.

These decisions are really killing us at the moment. It was a momentum turner in the same way the disallowed goal at Luton was.

• @davecz said:
    @eric_plant - is that the best you can come up with? Surely you have some constructive comments or opinions about the game.

Like you? Hahahahahahahaha