Skip to content

Rob Couhig in Daily Mail

edited October 2020 in Football

Sorry if this has been posted already.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8837245/ROB-COUHIG-clubs-dont-money-weeks-blood-streets.html

'ROB COUHIG - WYCOMBE CHAIRMAN: A lot of EFL clubs need money today, and if they don't get money in the next few weeks there will be blood on street'

Comments

• I understand Biden and Antifa want to destroy the pyramid...people are saying it!?

• "If clubs don't get money in the next few weeks there will be blood on the streets." Could he get any more Trumpian than that?

Also, "It will give us an opportunity for major infrastructure repair to our stadium that we intended to do but will be able to do it in a better way."

How much money are we spending on this stadium? We've just been given about £9m, very little of which appears to be going on the playing squad (48 hours left to show otherwise....) The only way we could be spending more than that on the stadium is either building another access road... or building a new stadium.

• Do you know how long the legal/planning/scoping/construction process is for a new access road, and how hugely expensive it would be?

It's not something you can knock up in a season. You wont even get the tarmac down for 9 million quid.

• I had my tongue firmly in cheek, @OxfordBlue. But I am intrigued over what stadium improvements have been budgeted in at costing more than £9m.

• "very little of which appears to be going on the playing squad"

We've signed 13 players this summer - at least two more still to come - and the wages of those already here will have gone up considerably.

• @chairboyscentral we've signed two players who are likely to be first choice names, both from Scotland. Three back-ups, two U23 loanees and six B team players. I'm sure the squad have all been given pay rises but let's not pretend we've been profligate.

• Don't think that we can just splash £9M as if it will be replaced automatically next seaso. Plus, let's be honest, I doubt us mortals really know how far the club was really run down before the Couhig family took over. Plenty has gone into the squad already with additional B team players & some 1st team. The loss of revenue for the most of this season will be significant and will possible soak up a lot of that cash. If we retain our Championship status, I have doubts that the financial rewards will be of the same level and if not what then should we have spent the entire pot? Sustainability will mean a bit of patience I think.

• edited October 2020

@aloysius said:
    @chairboyscentral we've signed two players who are likely to be first choice names, both from Scotland. Three back-ups, two U23 loanees and six B team players. I'm sure the squad have all been given pay rises but let's not pretend we've been profligate.

And nor should we have been profligate. We've got to build a squad that we can largely keep together if we go straight back down.

Tafazolli and Adeniran are also first-choice names. McCarthy is a great rotation option. We've strengthened pretty much everywhere we needed to and will get the remaining business done in the next couple of days.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Don't think that we can just splash £9M as if it will be replaced automatically next season.

This is an important point. We potentially have to budget for inflated wages in League One next season. I'm sure there will be relegation clauses in some contracts, but I very much doubt they are in all of them. It's just one more reason to be frugal in the current climate.

• @micra needs a roof over his head that doesn't leak! That's probably north of £250k.

• "and put in cost-controls that are truly important if clubs are to get away from the current lottery system."

This is the key bit, hopefully he's seen more detail that suggests this will happen, otherwise it looks like clubs are just biting at the first sign of cash available and forget the future.

The Prem were never going to get away with not stumping some cash up at the moment, interesting to see what they get in return.

• @YorkExile said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Don't think that we can just splash £9M as if it will be replaced automatically next season.

This is an important point. We potentially have to budget for inflated wages in League One next season. I'm sure there will be relegation clauses in some contracts, but I very much doubt they are in all of them. It's just one more reason to be frugal in the current climate.

I think being frugal, however much it may hurt on the pitch, will see us come out of this as a stronger club than most. Doubt we will be in a multi million pound debt situation as many other clubs will.
    I think it was Exeter a few years back were being quoted as the "richest" professional club as they had zero debt & had sold Grimes to Swansea for £7M? A lesson to take note of.

• Its the old conundrum stretch yourself or cut your cloth risk relegation but still have a club to support. Why arent we spending money? Why arent we buying xxx surely we can pay his wages now? Why no news? What are they hiding? Some things never change...

• It was interesting that Gareth said Rob C had released funds to bring two players in.

People seemed to read that as them being done deals and imminent.
    Maybe they are still - as we definitely don't rush to release our news - as seen with a lot of our signings this season - all over the press before we hear officially.

If they aren't imminent/arranged though, you wonder why Gareth would have made public such news?!