Skip to content

Marching bands

I think we can all agree that cheerleaders are a rather distasteful import from the US. But marching bands are brilliant. Remember that mad game at QPR when we had two players sent off for being similar in skin tone? Pre-game there was a touring school doing some mad shit from the US. It was the perfect oeur d'eurve for the madness to come. What the fk was a high school marching band doing at Loftus Rd? We lost bravely in the end but one of the great forgotten Wycombe games for me. Bring on the marching bands and let chaos unsue i say

Comments

• Horses duvets weren’t involved were they @LX1 ?

• Marching bands are great.

• That QPR game was one of the best games I've ever been to, even though we lost. 4-1 down, Senda and Jocky sent off by a clown of a ref. Back to 4-3 and I think Simmo hit the post in the last minute to snatch a 4-4 draw!

• The dive from Kevin Gallen to spark it all off was one of the worst I've ever seen.

Hylton-esque

• @eric_plant said:
    The dive from Kevin Gallen to spark it all off was one of the worst I've ever seen.

Hylton-esque

My dad was one of the most mild-mannered characters I’ve ever known. Still remember him charging down an aisle swearing and gesticulating like a madman after that dive!

Also recall a chant of ‘one bin laden, there’s only one bin laden’ being directed at the marching band, which was a touch controversial!

Had everything that game.

• edited October 2020

I wasn't even at that QPR game, but just watching it back on video is enough to get the real anger flowing beyond belief.

Mixing up Senda and McSporran, who don't look anything alike was sinister enough, but to then compound his error by putting us massively at a disadvantage down to 9 men was criminal.

Has to be top in the worst decisions against us in our football league years.
    The Stefan Oakes handball non pen v Leicester and Sean Gregan smashing Baird for no red up there too.
    Cousins handball on the half way line v Col Utd for a red too!

• Agree till Cousins. That was blantant no?

• The drummer's ears just pricked up. "Marching band, you say.....?"

• @Malone said:
    I wasn't even at that QPR game, but just watching it back on video is enough to get the real anger flowing beyond belief.

Is it possible to see the video anywhere online Malone? I was at the game but cannot remember much apart from feeling pretty outraged.

• Interesting how memories and/or press reports play tricks.

I was at that game. The BFP reports a 21 man melee (only excluding the QPR goalkeeper) . My recollection is that McSporran stayed half a pitch away from the handbags until he was called over by the referee to be sent off. Which is right I wonder.

I have no recollection whatsoever of pre-match bands - marching or not.

• If I remember, one was sent off for mistaken identity, the other for pointing it out.

• Definitely one, (can't remember which), stayed a good distance away from the melee.

• The referee was Phil Prosser (cue obvious insulting nickname!) who, if I remember correctly, is himself a man of colour, making his mistaken identity even more puzzling.

• Didn't the tannoy announcer make a joke at half time about it? I think it was 'will any more Wycombe players get their marching orders in the second half?' or something along those lines.

I recall a sensational torrent of abuse cascading down the away end after the penalty/sending off incident. It was absolutely magnificent.

• As I recall it McSporran was the only outfield player who didn't get involved in the scrap.

Senda held his hands up magnificently to be fair. Throwing haymakers all over the place. Was good to see

• I too was at that game, and I am ashamed to admit that it is the only time I have ever thrown a missile onto the field of play. Being home from uni for Christmas, my mother had seen fit to thrust a sandwich and some salad into my hands as I left the house that morning. So enraged was I by the double sending off that the softened cherry tomatoes were pulled from my coat pocket and launched in the general direction of the referee.

The nine man comeback and very near equaliser from Simmo was absolutely remarkable. I recall Holloway giving it large to the media after the game about the "champagne football" his QPR team had played, having nearly given up a 2 goal lead at home against 9 men. I was never a huge fan of his beforehand, but that was the final straw for me.

• I think I would have been outraged @YorkExile if my mother had thrust salad my way too!!!

• At the time people seemed to find that hilarious.
    Now it just sounds utterly horrible.

• @glasshalffull said:
    The referee was Phil Prosser (cue obvious insulting nickname!) who, if I remember correctly, is himself a man of colour, making his mistaken identity even more puzzling.

Didn't remember that but you're right.
    May well have been a linesman tipping him off originally, but that doesn't explain furthering an error with a second red.

I dare say he was lucky he didn't make such a call against a team with more volatile fans.

• @Shev said:
    The drummer's ears just pricked up. "Marching band, you say.....?"

I will only support if we have two marching bands playing different songs at the same time with their two bands of mates threatening each other.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Shev said:
    The drummer's ears just pricked up. "Marching band, you say.....?"

I will only support if we have two marching bands playing different songs at the same time with their two bands of mates threatening each other.

At the same time but not necessarily in time.

• @YorkExile my dad launched his programme pitch-wards. Honestly, he rarely ever raised his voice!

• did Taylor save a penalty? I was in a QPR stand with a QPR-supporting friend. I remember leaping to my feet and punching the air for some reason (I think the penalty save), feeling many eyes upon me, and then being aware that there were people like me in pockets all over the stand. I remember that and the overwhelming sense of injustice mixed with gallows humour.

• Couldn't find a link to the "Rumble at Loftus Road" but found this one: -

A game I simply don't remember! Astonishing given there are 4 sendings-off.

• Danny Senda's slide there is magnificent.

• A foul up there with Terry Evans against PNE in 95/96.

• I was at the QPR game with a friend, we couldn't get tickets in the away end so ended up in the gods with some of the hardcore home fans.... had to keep quiet the whole game, was very hard

• @Twizz said:
    Couldn't find a link to the "Rumble at Loftus Road" but found this one: -

A game I simply don't remember! Astonishing given there are 4 sendings-off.

Quite oddly edited. The commentator who i seem to remember is a bit of a "back of the net" merchant,doesn't say it once and nothing at all about the second disallowed qpr goal.

• @floyd said:
    A foul up there with Terry Evans against PNE in 95/96.

That foul & subsequent red card was a thing of beauty. Could see it coming a mile off! ?