Skip to content

World Exclusive

After weeks of in depth investigative journalism, it has been exclusively revealed in the Bucks Free Press today that Wycombe Wanderers are the poorest club in the Championship, !! We don’t have the resources of Norwich and Watford etc and that fans who are expecting Wycombe to be spending more to be realistic. Is that the best BFP can come up with. The article is patronising and a bit disrespectful to the fans and can I suggest lots of people in High Wycombe who absolutely know the financial restraints our club has been working to over many years. We know Ainsworth and Dobbo have done an amazing job and with help from the Couhigs the future is much brighter.We know that it will be a sensational achievement if we stay up . Fans know the facts. My concern that the platform of the BFP is being used as another platform to ‘ have a pop’ at fans whose views / opinions differ.

Comments

• At least we don't have the huge debts of Bournemouth, Watford, Derby etc. so every cloud!

• I was more interested in Currie being the same fee as Devine.

Could have sworn Devine was 250k, but both chairboys on the net and wiki have it as 200k, so maybe I just either imagined it, or got it mixed up with Scotty's 250k move to Reading.

• Next level persecution complex.

• Luckily our fans knowing the situation we are in and revering the management team we have don't go on football forums complaining about the lack of acceptable transfers and moan about going down without a fight. For that, I for one, am grateful.

• Having posted that this was a persecution complex, I’ve now had some time to think about it and I think it’s entirely possible that this BFP article was aimed entirely at just @davecz, so apologies.

• The author of the piece has form going back years for taking the views of a small number of fans and applying them to the entire fanbase

• @drcongo and @eric_plant - are you really telling me you learnt something new about our club from the article?

• @eric_plant - sorry was the question to difficult. My original post was about the complete lack of anything new about our club and it’s financial state.You then comment about my views are from a minority aspect. So I was asking what did you learn new from the article. Can’t be much easier than that .

• Hold on. I’ll grab the BFP and see what this storm in a teacup is all about. I fear I may feel compelled to comment.

• @davecz said:
    @eric_plant - sorry was the question to difficult. My original post was about the complete lack of anything new about our club and it’s financial state.You then comment about my views are from a minority aspect. So I was asking what did you learn new from the article. Can’t be much easier than that .

Eh?

• @eric_plant - thank you for your very articulate response. I bet you were in the debating society at school .

• @davecz said:
    After weeks of in depth investigative journalism, it has been exclusively revealed in the Bucks Free Press today that Wycombe Wanderers are the poorest club in the Championship, !! We don’t have the resources of Norwich and Watford etc and that fans who are expecting Wycombe to be spending more to be realistic. Is that the best BFP can come up with. The article is patronising and a bit disrespectful to the fans and can I suggest lots of people in High Wycombe who absolutely know the financial restraints our club has been working to over many years. We know Ainsworth and Dobbo have done an amazing job and with help from the Couhigs the future is much brighter.We know that it will be a sensational achievement if we stay up . Fans know the facts. My concern that the platform of the BFP is being used as another platform to ‘ have a pop’ at fans whose views / opinions differ.

As the author of the article to which you refer, I would like to respond to your comments.
    Why do you assume that every reader of the BFP is a football fan with knowledge of the game’s financial structure?
    Why do you assume that every reader, even if they are WWFC fans, knew about the fees other clubs have spent on players this season or knew about the record transfer fees of the clubs mentioned?
    Although the majority of fans are fully aware of the club’s financial constraints, a quick review of social media would indicate that a sizeable number certainly aren’t.
    You are perfectly entitled to find the article uninformative, but I don’t agree that it is patronising and disrespectful.
    I am open to ideas that you may have for the subject matter of any future articles.

• If the web version of the BFP article is the same, I can’t see much wrong with it. The final paragraph could appear to be a tad patronising to well-informed fans but not all people who consider themselves fans, but rarely attend perhaps, will have that much idea about the relative financial strength of clubs.

The rest of the article is actually quite informative

• Perfectly reasoned article.

It'd be one toxic local paper to not try and take a positive spin on things surely?!

I vividly remember a similar article MON wrote in his programme notes in that first season in the league after we'd lost a couple of games and the drone army were getting restless.

• Although i do not read the Bucks Free Press in any if its forms, after years of Gasroom complaints about poor quality and often very poorly composed coverage of the team I now understand there is an insider propagandist being employed by this publication who seems to be writing positive articles about the club of general interest which may raise its profile amongst the local populace. I find it patronising and wish to complain to anyone who will listen. I dont pay my taxes, my season ticket or my trust money to be oppressed in this way.

• edited October 2020

Yep. We should actually embrace having 4 or 5 pages actually about Wanderers.
    It wasn't that long ago that we'd be buried deep inside, as the Wasps guff littered the main pages. Even for 6months after they'd bored off to wreck another club.

• @Malone said:
    Yep. We should actually embrace having 4 or 5 pages actually about Wanderers.
    It wasn't that long ago that we'd be buried deep inside, as the Wasps guff littered the main pages. Even for 6months after they'd bored off to wreck another club.

That’s precisely why I volunteered to write for the BFP this season

• Not quite up to Stuart Earp’s standards* but a decent enough start.

*one for the oldies

• I knew Stuart and he was arguably the best WWWFC correspondent the BFP has ever had. If I get anywhere near his standard I’ll be delighted.

• Pete Lanlsley was very good. Got stitched up by the club unfortunately

• Stuart Earp was the best sports writer the BFP had in my time of reading it. Seem to remember his reports on the cricket were pretty good too (unless I’m imagining it).

Pete Lansley was pretty good and in the right place at the right time. His Out of the Blue book was a brilliant and evocative and captured that real buzz around the club at that time.

• My brief is different to those guys. The BFP cover press conferences, interviews with the manager etc, but I have to come up with more offbeat angles.

• I don’t live near enough to ever read the BFP, but I appreciate anyone who volunteers to write about Wycombe for it. Anything that could pique the interest of locals who don’t usually go is a very worthwhile exercise.

As a side note, egocentrism is often used as a synonym of selfishness, but more accurately it’s actually an inability to view anything objectively, resulting in an entirely subjective world view where a person thinks anything and everything can only be of relevance to them, so they’re incapable of seeing things from the perspective of others.

• Who was the female Wycombe reporter the BFP had back in the mid-90s - often brilliantly critical of A*** S****?

• Claire Nash

• Not only was Stuart Earp (or Wyatt as we tended to call him) an extremely good journalist, he was always ready to chew the fat about any aspect of the playing side of things and I’m afraid I may have overdone the calls to him at times. That will surprise no-one I guess.

• @eric_plant said:
    Claire Nash

That's it, cheers. She was great. Haven't read the BFP in years now.

• My wife looks forward to the BFP. For someone born and brought up in Ireland and having spent 60 years in many different parts of the UK before we moved to Wycombe in 1974, she is incredibly well informed about the local area and, in particular, she has got to know and formed friendships with scores of people, not least in the nursing profession where she worked for nearly 50 years. As a result, there is still much in the BFP to interest her, including the wonderful old photographs of Wycombe and surrounding places through the last century or so and, very sadly, obituaries of people with whom she has lost contact and others in the community.

I know it’s all available on line but she doesn’t “do” IT.

• @micra If your wife spent 60 years BEFORE moving to Wycombe in 1974 that means you good lady is 106 by my calculations!