Skip to content

Premier League transfer window

The Premier league has spent £1.218 BILLION this transfer window.
Meanwhile the EFL clubs are anticipating a £200 million pound hole in their finances. Must be time for a transfer tax?

Comments

• Might as well ask the Tory government to stop giving multi-million pound Covid contracts to their mates.

• My post an hour or so ago on the Away Kit thread touches on this and may be of interest.

• A few things @EwanHoosaami
    1. Given the level of transfer fees and wages in the Championship one has to have little sympathy for the Premier LEague stance
    2. Given many clubs have sold their stadia for multi million pund deals again one could reasonably feel that many clubs in The Championship have adequate access to funds
    3. Given that the Championship has failed to agree a salary cap why should the Premier League fuel the current profligacy of many clubs in the division?
    4. The PFA pension is currently funded by a 1% levy on all transfers in England
    5. If there was levy to create a "hardship" fund or greater solidarity payments how would it be distributed? Who would decide who was eligible and on what basis?

• Given it looks like there will be no bail out coming from the Premier League does this help us or not?
    A portion of the money would be nice but would it give us any advantage over others?
    Maybe we will benefit from others cost cutting and although unwanted a few points deductions going around.

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    5. If there was levy to create a "hardship" fund or greater solidarity payments how would it be distributed? Who would decide who was eligible and on what basis?

This is the key point in my view. If you simply distribute money to clubs in financial trouble due to their previous profligacy, won't that reward those clubs that have overspent. Indeed, it might actually encourage additional spending by owners in the knowledge that there is a safety net should things go pear shaped.

As an example, would it have been fair if Bury's debts had been paid off by such a fund, bearing in mind that they had accrued due to ridiculous overspending for a number of years, whereas Wycombe got nothing despite struggling for years to pay off Sharkies debt?

The only fair way to distribute a "hardship" fund would be to distribute money equally so that well run clubs are not disadvantaged.

• I think the fairest way would be to distribute money based on average gate receipts. I realise it’s a bit simplistic in terms of other revenue lost by the closure of grounds (sponsorship, spending at the ground, etc) but it is the one thing a club can legitimately say to the government: we are losing x amount of gate receipts because you have told us we can’t admit spectators.

Where the money comes from is a different matter

• The pay out should be the lever for tougher financial and ownership rules and kick off some central hardship fund for unforseen (or for now - covid related) expenses or losses of income with the newly agreed raft of compliance rules needing to be obeyed in order to qualify and some rulings about the circumstances that would lead to repayment. Won't hold my breath.

• Someone on here, possibly @Username, posted a great suggestion which was that the money isn't available to clubs going under until they're restructured to the 51% fan ownership German model.

• There's nothing fair about coronavirus, @mooneyman. The whole point of this fund is to keep clubs alive and players paid. To do that it will have to reward profligacy. If we were in League One we would only be able to claim the £2m or so we spent on wages, whereas Sunderland will probably need to claim at least £10m. Should players be forced to take massive pay reductions so that no club gets more than the new salary cap plus running costs for the ground? Yes in principle but in practice that will just leave families destitute and clubs being sued into bankruptcy.

On another note, this season's obscene net spend by the Premier League on transfers negates any possibly excuse they could come up with not to bail out Leagues One and Two. As for the Championship, I think it should stand on its own two feet.

• I believe that between most posters there is a balanced mix & match to which could apply. It was running through my mind that the issue of profligacy would rise to the fore & it is a conundrum that would need to be addressed. Sad thing is, whilst tribal, football needs opposition to survive. Caveats will need to be added & enforced if any clubs need a hand out, such as salary caps & restructuring towards a fan owned model.