Skip to content

Away kit/ change kit

2»

Comments

• edited October 2020

@floyd said:
    White shorts and quarters looks magnificent. It's a shame we seem unable (or unwilling) to have light blue or white shorts in case of a 'shorts clash.' Even yellow shorts with the quarters would be preferable.

Not sure about that

• It’s a bit of a mess I grant you, but we look like wycombe wanderers at least. I did say it was my third preference.

• Either way, I agree that we need to be finding ways to wear the quarters, rather than finding excuses not to.

• @floyd said:
    It’s a bit of a mess I grant you, but we look like wycombe wanderers at least. I did say it was my third preference.

Exactly, it's the instantly recognisable Wycombe Wanderers kit. Any neutral fan just flicking across the highlights or leaving it on in the background would have no idea who Luton were playing. I hate it just as much when teams come to Adams Park and play in their away kit when there is no clash, makes it much harder to associate games with specific opposition. Exeter are certainly an example, I don't remember then ever wearing their classic red and white stripes against us.

• Spot on @Croider - it's all the more baffling as this is such a brand-conscious era (to the point of annoyance), yet so many football clubs are willing to dilute the strength of their brands. Obviously money talks, but at our level (or Exeter's) how much difference is it making?

• I would love to think that the colour of our kit for away games is the only thing we’re worrying about come the end of the season!

• That combination that @chairboyscentral magicked up is truly the stuff of nightmares. It would certainly get people talking about us but in a very off-brand way.

Who knows, maybe the club have ordered some light blue shorts but they're stuck in the wrong queue at the O'Neills factory, scheduled for delivery around February.

• That narrative is getting a bit tiresome now

We're allowed to think about more than one thing.

1. I really hope we stay up this season
    2. I really hope we wear our blue quarters wherever possible

See?

• Apologies, I had forgotten that people are not allowed to write posts that don’t meet with your approval.
    I’ll try harder next time.

• Thank you Eric we are capable of considering more than 1 issue at a time. It annoys me that we seem to be going against our own charter. We are supposed to be creating a world wide brand surely the quarters are a big part of that brand. Buy a set of white / light blue shorts !

• By the way talking of mismatched kits remember Reading away in the League cup 1996? We had to mix and match the two awful Alan Smith home and away kits we definitely looked like up Sunday morning pub team.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I would love to think that the colour of our kit for away games is the only thing we’re worrying about come the end of the season!

When we've lost the first 23 games of the season, only scoring 7 goals, I think we'll be looking for anything we can find that's not football ;)

• @glasshalffull said:
    Apologies, I had forgotten that people are not allowed to write posts that don’t meet with your approval.

Appalling

• Under what circumstances might we wear our 3rd choice kit ? If Blue is clashing with the home team's kit then Yellow won't clash. I can't think of a colour that both Blue and Yellow would clash, necessitating a White/Red shirt.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Apologies, I had forgotten that people are not allowed to write posts that don’t meet with your approval.

To be fair you did set up a false opposition.

• @Stewie63 said:
    Under what circumstances might we wear our 3rd choice kit ? If Blue is clashing with the home team's kit then Yellow won't clash. I can't think of a colour that both Blue and Yellow would clash, necessitating a White/Red shirt.

I assume there will be a shorts clash with Watford (black). But I imagine there will be some kind of obligation to the sponsor to wear it x number of times. It's a nice alternative to the yellow anyway.

• @peterparrotface said:
    @micra It came up red and white hoops on mine like Doncaster!

I was talking about Bristol Rovers wearing all blue shirts, more royal than pale. Probably 60s or 70s.

It came up solid green on mine.

• I'm just getting a nasty feeling that the 2nd and 3rd kits are now going to be classed as away kits and we wont be seeing the quarters away from home. Really, really hope I'm wrong as I agree the blue quarters make us stand out from others, and it is in the club charter. Will be a first minus mark for the Couhigs from me if they do this.

• White shorts with the quarters just about acceptable; yellow/mango whatever, definitely not.

• Surely we could have both the shorts and socks in both colours of blue and just use as necessary

• The fact that we don’t seem to have shorts and socks in both shades of blue adds to the suspicion that we won’t see the light and dark blue quarters away from home if this is the case it’s very disappointing. It would be nice to have a statement from the club. Some people may consider this matter trivial But to me it’s all about the club image and heritage

• If it comes down commercially to sponsors versus iconic image, then I guess the business imperative will always take precedence.

• edited October 2020

Noticed someone this morning that someone was wearing light blue shorts with a dark blue stripe down the side. It made me think that this could/would be a good compromise between the traditionalists, (me being one), & the referees that consider our dark blue as a clash? Like these Chelsea ones:
    https://www.soccerbox.com/premier-league/chelsea/away-kit/chelsea-kids-away-shorts-20-21-che20kash

• edited October 2020

We'll wear - or should wear - the home kit away to Norwich, Forest, Barnsley, Bristol City, Stoke, Rotherham and Middlesbrough.

As far as I know, it's not a set rule that shorts can't clash, but more refs at this level/this season seem to request a change - Watford wore yellow shorts at Sheffield Wednesday, Swansea wore white shorts against us. Tbh, the more contrast the better - Reading wore their home kit against us last season and it wasn't great.

• There are bound to be one or two “minus marks” @HolmerBlue in the eyes of us traditionalists but there have been numerous “plus marks” over the last eighteen months. We are very fortunate.
    Rob Couhig may be the least wealthy of all the Championship owners (according to a recent Sun on line article setting out their assessment of the total wealth of each owner) but he must be the most sensible by a country mile.

The majority of the rest are either billionaires or in the hundreds of millions category - apart from Luton who are fan owned.

Further googling reveals (and forgive me if it’s common knowledge) that the refusal of the Premier League clubs to bail out EFL clubs is based on the potential for the billionaires of the Championship to do it themselves.

• Luton aren't fan-owned in the traditional sense - I think it's a consortium of a few supporters with deep pockets. Similar to Benham at Brentford - a fan but a millionaire one.

• The Supporters Trust at Luton owns 50,000 shares in the club’s holding company, Luton Town Football Club 2020 Ltd and, interestingly if accurate, currently holds the right of veto over any changes to the club’s identity - “the only organisation that has this right in English professional football.”

• That's interesting. You just never see them in lists of fan-owned clubs, so I assumed it was a bit different.

• Could be the odd millionaire amongst the LutonTrust members of course. We were fan owned for seven years or thereabouts but didn’t a former chairman put the personal maximum into the Share Scheme?

• It looks to be a similar set up to ours, where the Trust have 20% (I think) of shares but more robust rights

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/company-details/