Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• That first half away at Mansfield (2005 or 6?) was one of the greatest displays by a Wycombe player I've ever seen in all my 40+ years of supporting. Up there with the times I saw Ardiles and Gasgoigne.

• Kevin Betsy was arguably the most graceful and polished player I've seen in a Wanderers shirt.
    He had such perfect balance and poise, I've always scratched my head to why he didnt spend more of his career in the top two divisions.

• I go on about it an awful lot but his performance up at Bury the season we went up under Waddock was just unbelievable.

As was his last game during his first spell away at Chelsea.

I, like @ChasHarps , don't understand why he didn't play at a higher level for a long time

• He is one of my favourite ever Wycombe players. And of course, that goal at Milton Keynes...

• That's a hell of a signing for Bedford Town.

• Interestingly the Bedord Manager resigned two days ago citing disagreements with the owner on player recruitment!

• I am amazed CMS could not find a League berth but good for Bedford Town. Hope he starts banging them in again. To be honest I always thought he would have been great played through the middle when he was with us.

• You’re always honest aren’t you @Wendoverman ?

• edited September 2020

Great bit of business for Bedford, no doubt helped by the suspension of the National Leagues... Same level as Adam El-Abd.

Best of luck to CMS.

• @micra said:
    You’re always honest aren’t you @Wendoverman ?

Honest Wendoverman is what they call me @micra at the end of the day

• I’m not gonna lie, I knew that all along. Earlier in the day ? Whose nose.

• He should absolutely tear it up at that level. If the manager has gone, I wonder if it's a step toward management too.

• Not so sure as those posts above. Couldn’t get a game at (almost) demoted Stevenage. When a players ‘legs go’ they really do go, his game was always about pace. That hat-trick for us a couple of seasons back probably his swan song.

• I did not think CMS would get a league club this season for the same reasons as Perfidious Albion. Neither he nor a Adam El Abd could get many starts for Stevenage last season who were bottom of league 2. Football is a tough game but it’s also a very public arena, well covered by scouts. That means good players tend to get picked up and move up the leagues and the reverse for players who are moving down.

• Be interesting to see how Eberechi fares for Palace v Chelsea (just about to kick off).

• The commentators seem overwhelmingly interested in Chelsea.

• Just been reading about Ikechi Anya, who has left Derby after not playing a game for the last two seasons. Looks like he's had a few injury problems. Shame, because if he was fit and didn't demand massive wages, he might have perhaps been worth a punt.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ikechi-anya-derby-county-watford-4132025

• Sean Devine has resigned as Buckingham United manager.

• That was quick! Difficult owner perhaps.

• He was appointed at the start of last season, the club announced in July that he would continue this season, but Assistant Manager John Walton has taken over.

Just one league game this season, a 3-2 defeat at Bovingdin, line-up included Sonny Devine at no. 9. Last season in Spartan South Mids 2 they were third from bottom when the season was suspended.

• Not sure what made me think he’d only just been appointed @Steve_Peart. Still quick though. And I assume Sonny literally is.

• @micra, I haven't seen Sonny play, assume he is Sean's son. I don't remember Sean being that quick. When Watford manager Graham Taylor came to AP to assess Sean as a transfer target, he wanted to know if he scored his goals singly or in multiples.

• Sorry @Steve_Peart. I meant quick in the sense of resigning after one game.

@mooneyman said:
    Interestingly the Bedord Manager resigned two days ago citing disagreements with the owner on player recruitment!

Aah, the source of my confusion. I somehow (unbelievably) confused Bedford and Buckingham.

• CMS, Rendell and Southwell were all on the scoresheet for their respective clubs last night.

• And mcclure

• Looks like we will be seeing Randell Williams against us as Barnsley, Stoke and Preston are all trying to sign him before the window closes. Such a shame we couldn't have got him.

• Was he that good?

• edited October 2020

In my opinion he had shown a lot of potential Eric and this could have been developed by Gareth and co. Better all round player than Aarons and Smyth.

• I do think it was a shame we couldn't have kept him at the time, but I'm also not hankering to have him back. Decent player with maybe the best cross since Matty Phillips though.