Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton

Comments

• I agree that JJ was disappointing today and, as an honest guy, he would probably also agree.

• @Malone said:
    How you viewed today I think depends on your general mindset, which ranges from outrageously negative (Wanderers82 / Trevor) through to outrageously positive (Ffloyd, glassfullyfulluup etc)

The worrying thing is again we barely looked like scoring, a couple of half chances, that you wouldn't even remember after games most seasons.

As per @Username , we really need Uche to be the answer up front.
    But I fear that just like Gape, too much will be expected from both. Bearing in mind both are basically totally unproven at this level.

Still.. 2 weeks to forget about it all, then it's an onslaught of games.

Sums it up fairly well. My personal realistic hopes for the season have gone from hoping to stay up, to hoping to not be the lowest ever championship point scorers.

• edited October 2020

@trevor said:
    judging by the stats we where pretty much outplayed wouldnt you say .

Surely you know by now the stats are meaningless in our games. Having watched the game I thought we did ok and would have our first point and goal but for an awful decision.

• @Right_in_the_Middle has passed out. It’s all too much.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@trevor said:

Surely you know by now the stats are meaningless in our games. Having watched the game I thought we did ok and would have our first point and goal but for an awful decision.

What was awful about the decision?

There's no definitive camera angle on ifollow and Fred was offside just before he's out of shot so it's definitely a possibility that he was off.

Stats aren't "meaningless" either , just not necessarily useful on their own.

We were better today but can you honestly say they didn't have significantly more chances to score? They deserved the win, but we at least kept ourselves in with a chance of nabbing a point

• @Username said:

@Malone said:
    How you viewed today I think depends on your general mindset, which ranges from outrageously negative (Wanderers82 / Trevor) through to outrageously positive (Ffloyd, glassfullyfulluup etc)

The worrying thing is again we barely looked like scoring, a couple of half chances, that you wouldn't even remember after games most seasons.

As per @Username , we really need Uche to be the answer up front.
    But I fear that just like Gape, too much will be expected from both. Bearing in mind both are basically totally unproven at this level.

Still.. 2 weeks to forget about it all, then it's an onslaught of games.

Sums it up fairly well. My personal realistic hopes for the season have gone from hoping to stay up, to hoping to not be the lowest ever championship point scorers.

I must admit I did look up a couple of previous worst teams.
    Rotherham with 23 points and just 5 wins being the pick.

They started better than us too.

They did score 40 goals though. That'll require a real step up in output!

Ahh, gallows humour is all we have now :)

• @Username said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@trevor said:

There's no definitive camera angle on ifollow and Fred was offside just before he's out of shot so it's definitely a possibility that he was off.

We were better today but can you honestly say they didn't have significantly more chances to score? They deserved the win, but we at least kept ourselves in with a chance of nabbing a point

You have your view. I have mine. The only stat that counts are goals and a team that scores one out of 10 chances gets the same as a team who scores one out of one.

Today was another step forward

@Username said:

@trevor said:

You have your view. I have mine. The only stat that counts are goals and a team that scores one out of 10 chances gets the same as a team who scores one out of one.

If your only measurable that counts is goals, and we lost 2-0, how was today a step forward?

• I’m not sure if I had a different ‘aspect’ view to others on iFollow but I could clearly see Fred when the ball was crossed in. Defender was touch tight and goal side of him. It wasn’t a foul on Fred who got a touch/mis-control through where Kashket finished clinically. Kashket was both behind Fred for the touch (and several yards onside anyway). We were denied a goal by a truly awful decision.

Generally much better today. A lot more solid first half with Thompson and Adeniran (who looked stronger and fitter than last week, and played well) in the middle. Almost no threat going forward though but didn’t look like being breached on every attack, much improved. Second half I thought we played well. Had chances, forced a couple of saves, hit the post and had a perfectly good goal disallowed. That being said though, as much as we’re better going forward, we looked more open and Luton had some gilt edged chances apart from the goals. A fair result but we could’ve nicked a point had it not been for that poor decision.

Think a midfield 3 of a fit Thompson, Gape and Adeniran could be solid, but not much flair or attacking from there. Hopefully Ilpeazu is going to be the focal point for attacking we need desperately if we’re going to get goals at this level.

• @micra said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle has passed out. It’s all too much.

That backfired on me. When I tapped it out, @Right_in_the_Middle had just petered out at the end of a post that I can no longer find. When you’re a slow typer you shouldn’t post when others are chipping in at a rate of knots.
    Apologies @Right_in_the_Middle.

• No goals. Barely a sign of a goal. No points. Hopefully the end of the premiership transfer window will allow us to get someone who can change that.

I think Ainsworth always saw these four games as a pre season so the real work starts in a couple of weeks.

I think that’s a really interesting thought. It does feel a bit like anything out of these games was a bonus and that it will be in 2 weeks that we get a real feel for how we’ll look this season.

• @Quarterman The offside was against Fred or Parker not Kashket

• @bookertease said:

I think Ainsworth always saw these four games as a pre season so the real work starts in a couple of weeks.

I think that’s a really interesting thought. It does feel a bit like anything out of these games was a bonus and that it will be in 2 weeks that we get a real feel for how we’ll look this season.

Our next four games are Millwall, Reading, Norwich and Watford. We can't afford to be having a "pre-season". Entirely feasible that Sheffield Wednesday will be above us by the time we play them after those 4 fixtures.

• @username I know, that is why I have described why Fred wasn’t offside first (I just also mentioned Kashket to make it clear no one was offside).

• Not sure I’m outrageously positive @malone. There were real frustrations and disappointments today, but they’ve been covered by others. If you must know I’m disappointed and concerned about several things, on and off the field, this week.

As I explained at the start of the season, it’s all about perspective. We might lose a lot of games this season, but not so long ago we were losing pretty often in L2. We’ll have some really low moment this season, but we’ll also have some pretty good ones. I’d hate to get to next May and realize I’ve spent the entirety of our first season in the Championship complaining about misplaced passes. It might never get this good again.

• We spent a bit of time going to the exact moment and it's unclear even then. Would have been a red lines VAR job in the premier league so it's definitely not a howler

• @Brownie said:

@bookertease said:

Our next four games are Millwall, Reading, Norwich and Watford. We can't afford to be having a "pre-season". Entirely feasible that Sheffield Wednesday will be above us by the time we play them after those 4 fixtures.

I predict we will get a draws against Millwall and Reading, get spanked by Norwich and then get our first win against Watford

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

@trevor said:

If your only measurable that counts is goals, and we lost 2-0, how was today a step forward?

Because it is not about the stats. How many more times FFS?

• @Brownie said:

@bookertease said:

Surely all 46 games are tough in this league. Not sure we can pick and choose who we beat. Ainsworth has talked alot about the early games being about learning. A pre season of sorts. I am getting really frustrated with people not giving this team time to learn.

• Luton were the better side, but it was much more marginal today than against Blackburn and Swansea. I don't think Luton could've felt too hard done by if we had snatched a point.

With key players missing, it's about making small improvements and adjustments to our game, week on week. 4 games without a goal is poor, but we certainly carried more threat today.

• Expect more loan signings once the prem teams squads have settled...

• Competitive for the 1st 15 mins against Blackburn, competitive for the 2nd half against Swansea but never really in with a chance of getting anything out of that game, competitive for the whole game today - looks like progress to me.

The Christmas spell last year from when Mousinho helped Bayo out of three games was about as fruitless - was it one point from 5 games. I think that turned out ok.

• @Right_in_the_Middle - how many games do we need to give the team and management time to learn? We need to learn quickly otherwise it could be all over by Christmas.

• Dreadful stuff

• The only thing I can think happened for the disallowed goal was Parker coming back from an offside position and interfering by getting near the cross as it headed towards Fred.

Otherwise - we were outplayed, but could have nicked it. Our fortunes this season will be reliant on breaks like that going our way.

Why we are not carrying a set of light blue shorts in our kit repertoire is a much more worrying matter in my opinion. The traditions of the club are it’s very fabric (in this case literally).

• @railwaysteve said:
    Competitive for the 1st 15 mins against Blackburn, competitive for the 2nd half against Swansea but never really in with a chance of getting anything out of that game, competitive for the whole game today - looks like progress to me.

The Christmas spell last year from when Mousinho helped Bayo out of three games was about as fruitless - was it one point from 5 games. I think that turned out ok.

We were competitive the whole game v Rotherham too.
    I'm less sure we're developing in any great way and it's more down to the level of team we're playing.

• @mooneyman said:

@Brownie said:

@bookertease said:

I predict we will get a draws against Millwall and Reading, get spanked by Norwich and then get our first win against Watford

Reading Norwich and Watford will win, possible point vs Milwall

• @Malone said:

@railwaysteve said:
    Competitive for the 1st 15 mins against Blackburn, competitive for the 2nd half against Swansea but never really in with a chance of getting anything out of that game, competitive for the whole game today - looks like progress to me.

We were competitive the whole game v Rotherham too.
    I'm less sure we're developing in any great way and it's more down to the level of team we're playing.

Exactly this. Rotherham are almost certainly going to massively struggle this season, they were arguably more fortunate than us to to come up and haven't added that much.

Swansea and Blackburn are more established teams and we couldn't compete

Luton still had the majority of their team from league 1 with the odd addition of championship quality. We competed but were clearly second best.

I do think we've improved and learnt, but other than the Swansea and Blackburn scores being the other way round, it's effectively followed the relative strength of the opposition we've faced

• @leeronhagg said:
    The only thing I can think happened for the disallowed goal was Parker coming back from an offside position and interfering by getting near the cross as it headed towards Fred.

Otherwise - we were outplayed, but could have nicked it. Our fortunes this season will be reliant on breaks like that going our way.

Why we are not carrying a set of light blue shorts in our kit repertoire is a much more worrying matter in my opinion. The traditions of the club are it’s very fabric (in this case literally).

Agree re the shorts ! Pathetic, blue and orange do not clash !!