Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton

Comments

• Better performance but still some way off looking like we're going to get remotely close to staying up.

Adeniran our MOTM for me, we need more quality loans

• @Wanderers82, the poorest performance of the day has been yours ...

• I can’t understand why the goal was ruled out. Adeniran when the ball is played in maybe? But certainly looked to me as though it should have stood.

Overall Luton were the better side and could have scored more. We might have pinched a draw and looked better in the final 15 when we attacked with a little more quality on the ball. Certainly it feels like progress again from last week.

Nonetheless, the break is welcome.We need another 2-3 Adeniran type loanees and getting Bayo or Ikpeazu fit would surely make a big difference. I fear without that we don’t pose enough of an attacking threat and teams subsequently feel comfortable throwing men forward, leaving us overrun.

• @JohnBoy said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    How do I get Phil Catchpole commentary please?

Click the cog and select away from the commentary options.

There wasn't a cog to click on the IFollow live streaming screen, only the listen live which we did, bit as soon as we went back to live streaming, the extremely biased home commentary team came back!!!!

• Really entertaining 2nd half, Luton possibly created the better chances, but we could easily have got something from that game. Hugely unlucky with the disallowed goal. Could've been a goal, could've been a penalty, but we got neither. 2nd goal straight after was very harsh on us.

• Much improved performance overall and could have snatched a fairly unlikely draw.
    Luton may not be the strongest side we’ll meet but, under the Reverend Nathan they are a strong attacking force and, as their results have shown since he returned earlier this year, a hard side to beat. There were a few individual pluses too. Curtis and Dennis were both impressive and Stewart really looks the part. Rocky put in another excellent shift and Josh, Fred and Scotty all did well in the short time they were together.

• @Wanderers82 - the school reference is secondary to me calling you out as an Oxford fan with a free afternoon who uses it to troll another club’s fans’ forum.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@JohnBoy said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

There wasn't a cog to click on the IFollow live streaming screen, only the listen live which we did, bit as soon as we went back to live streaming, the extremely biased home commentary team came back!!!!

Maybe it depends what device you're using, as on a laptop it's bottom right.

It's hard to admit, but Luton had 16 shots to our 5, a couple off the line etc.
    We had a couple of half chances, and due to ifollow being so poor coverage versus sky/BT sports, none of us can really be sure whether that was offside or not at the end.

• Just getting Ikpeazu, Bayo, Gape, Tafazoli back will give us, (the fans), a big boost! We really are struggling up front at the minute and we need more confidence to keep the ball better.

• @Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@JohnBoy said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

We had a couple of half chances, and due to ifollow being so poor coverage versus sky/BT sports, none of us can really be sure whether that was offside or not at the end.

Was using a laptop, but maybe because it is a Mac book?

• A real shame today. Didn't get a close enough angle on the offside, but it looked like Kashket was onside when the ball was played forward, and even so the lino put the flag up so early.

JJ's delivery was disappointingly off, and when he did get one right Stewart almost forced an own goal.

Adeniran and Thompson buzzed about nicely, Horgan looked bright in patches too.

I can't figure out Freeman though, slows play down needlessly and often seems to not want the ball.

Would like Gaz to get another big striker in on loan if Ikpeazu can't get fit

• Anyone seen the video of Bayo in training? He looked pretty quick to me (all things being relative) and must be close to a return, rejuvenated and raring to go after the knee surgery. Uche not quite ready by the sound of it.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    A real shame today. Didn't get a close enough angle on the offside, but it looked like Kashket was onside when the ball was played forward, and even so the lino put the flag up so early.

JJ's delivery was disappointingly off, and when he did get one right Stewart almost forced an own goal.

Adeniran and Thompson buzzed about nicely, Horgan looked bright in patches too.

I can't figure out Freeman though, slows play down needlessly and often seems to not want the ball.

Would like Gaz to get another big striker in on loan if Ikpeazu can't get fit

Freeman often picks it up in acres of space, but does next to nothing with it.
    Such a frustrating player.
    Adeniran at least looks a bit more direct and looks to run directly forward when there's the chance to.

• I think Ainsworth always saw these four games as a pre season so the real work starts in a couple of weeks.

So dissapointed about the disallowed goal today. We don't that kind of rubbish on top of everything else. We deserved a point today.

• @micra said:
    Anyone seen the video of Bayo in training? He looked pretty quick to me (all things being relative) and must be close to a return, rejuvenated and raring to go after the knee surgery. Uche not quite ready by the sound of it.

We really need Uche fit asap. A signing that looks to combine Bayo's strength and Samuel's workrate and a definite starter you'd think.

Bayo back as an option is critical too. We don't look like we're going to break anyone down with passing, so going the strength and aerial route especially late on will add an element.

• Number 1 priority is a championship level Freeman type player. We need players like him who are willing to take an extra touch and keep the ball rather than aimlessly kicking it forward, just slightly better

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Really entertaining 2nd half, Luton possibly created the better chances, but we could easily have got something from that game. Hugely unlucky with the disallowed goal. Could've been a goal, could've been a penalty, but we got neither. 2nd goal straight after was very harsh on us.

how where we unlucky we where totally outplayed by a average champiionship side honestly i dont see where going to get any points from now its what happens when you dont strengthen properly .

• We will score in the league this season.
    I bet my gasroom fame on it.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@JohnBoy said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

Was using a laptop, but maybe because it is a Mac book?

I was on a Mac too, the cog is to the right of the volume bar in the bottom right corner.

• @Twizz said:
    @Wanderers82, the poorest performance of the day has been yours ...

Great banter. stick to being boring !

• @trevor said:

@Wycombe85 said:
    Really entertaining 2nd half, Luton possibly created the better chances, but we could easily have got something from that game. Hugely unlucky with the disallowed goal. Could've been a goal, could've been a penalty, but we got neither. 2nd goal straight after was very harsh on us.

how where we unlucky we where totally outplayed by a average champiionship side honestly i dont see where going to get any points from now its what happens when you dont strengthen properly .

Totally outplayed is an interesting perspective. No complaints with the result, Luton were a bit more clinical, but it could've gone either way. On another day, we get a penalty, or the goal is given and we get a draw and I don't think Luton would've had any complaint

• @Wycombe85 said:

@trevor said:

@Wycombe85 said:

Totally outplayed is an interesting perspective. No complaints with the result, Luton were a bit more clinical, but it could've gone either way. On another day, we get a penalty, or the goal is given and we get a draw and I don't think Luton would've had any complaint

You can't really say"on another day we get away with an off side goal" as a counter.

We were better this week, but still second best. We need Ikpeazu fit, and him to be a genuine upgrade on our no9 options.

• Totally outplayed @trevor ? You shouldn’t have switched off at half time. I thought we defended very well and we are starting to move the ball around on the deck a lot more. We are a good way off being a consistently competitive Championship side but that is to be expected. There are good players due to come back from injury and surgery and no do

• Unfortunately we don’t look like scoring even if we were there all day. Clearly need to get Uche fit to give us some hope. Not certain Bayo is the answer . Championship defenders will not be bullied be him.Samuels may run all day but is just not going to score. Hopefully the international break will give us a change to get everyone fit and some quality loanees in ALL areas of the field. Trying to stay positive.

• .....and no doubt two or three loanees.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I think Ainsworth always saw these four games as a pre season so the real work starts in a couple of weeks.

So dissapointed about the disallowed goal today. We don't that kind of rubbish on top of everything else. We deserved a point today.

What do you mean about ainsworth seeing these four games as a pre season?

• @Wycombe85 said:

@trevor said:

@Wycombe85 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54305591

judging by the stats we where pretty much outplayed wouldnt you say .

• @micra said:
    Totally outplayed @trevor ? You shouldn’t have switched off at half time. I thought we defended very well and we are starting to move the ball around on the deck a lot more. We are a good way off being a consistently competitive Championship side but that is to be expected. There are good players due to come back from injury and surgery and no do

we were outplayed....we kept the ball occasionally however JJ was poor with his deliveries today....Alsopp and Parker did well when he come on ....Everton loanee looks good

• Careful @Wanderers82. Don’t overdo the positives.

• edited October 2020

How you viewed today I think depends on your general mindset, which ranges from outrageously negative (Wanderers82 / Trevor) through to outrageously positive (Ffloyd, glassfullyfulluup etc)

The worrying thing is again we barely looked like scoring, a couple of half chances, that you wouldn't even remember after games most seasons. A very generous ref might have given a pen, but we can't really see if someone was offside from the clip angles we've seen.
    Luton had 2 off the line, and 15 chances, and whilst not as dominant as Blackburn by any means, they definitely had the better of things.

As per @Username , we really need Uche to be the answer up front.
    But I fear that just like Gape, too much will be expected from both. Bearing in mind both are basically totally unproven at this level.

Still.. 2 weeks to forget about it all, then it's an onslaught of games.