Skip to content

Championship salaries

For anyone who doesn't follow the excellent Price of Football on Twitter, this set of figures from the 18-19 season shows the average weekly player wage at each club. Two years on I wonder if we're even close to that Rotherham figure? I'd be very, very surprised. Football is an utter basket case of a business.

Comments

• The problem has always been...do you want a well run club club living within its means to go and watch every week or do you want your club battling for promotion every season...sometimes you cannot have both.

• And yet, as Wycombe proved last season, paying more in wages doesn't necessarily add up to promotion. No doubt there is a reasonable correlation but it's the lunacy of so many clubs chasing the dream, spending unsustainable amounts, in some cases breaking financial laws, to win the prize that only 3 clubs each year can actually win.

• I joked with a friend about Wycombe being equal on points with Forest and Derby and he replied 'Yes, but they will just buy a load of players and get out of it...' which is true. I suspect neither will be promoted this year, but they'll probably spend several times what we will to try and stay in the division!

• This may sound like pessimism, but my priorities are as follows:

1 - The club always remains in existence.
    2 - The club remains in the football league.
    3 - The club is successful on the pitch.

The fact that we are somehow managing to hit #3 with all of the challenges and obstacles of the football financial climate is simply incredible!

• Well said @Shev I wholeheartedly concur

• I suspect given various comments from the club that we have a playing budget of somewhere not much north of £4m equating to an average weekly wage across a 25man squad of £3076

Whilst I doubt any of this years championship teams are spaffing the £57m plus a year that Villa were I suspect many are spending 10 times our likely budget

• An average of 3K a week is a surprise to me. Big time Charlies!

• Interesting that Rob, in his recent interview with Matt Cecil, came out and explicitly said we were paying Championship-level salaries.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Interesting that Rob, in his recent interview with Matt Cecil, came out and explicitly said we were paying Championship-level salaries.

It would be transfer market suicide to publicly say otherwise. I'd expect us to be offering significantly bigger deals than we would in league 1, but still by far the smallest in the league, likely since Yeovil.

• Forests wage bill must be incredible right now, they must be looking at getting a few off of it before the transfer window closes after making so many signings

• Did Forest pick up 16 million for Matty Cash?

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Interesting that Rob, in his recent interview with Matt Cecil, came out and explicitly said we were paying Championship-level salaries.

Possibly some, probably not to all or most, difficult to quantify anyway.

• A work colleagues brother in law plays for Blackburn on 24k a week silly money. Chelsea pay 14 years olds 450 a week no wonder it’s difficult to compete.

• Cash was £14m plus add ons...for a player ‘released’ by Wycombe when we closed our academy. Sad but true.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Cash was £14m plus add ons...for a player ‘released’ by Wycombe when we closed our academy. Sad but true.

We probably did lose some players with potential, but in Cash’s case we released him because he was too small and lightweight. He discussed this in a clip out there on the t’interweb. Probably would have released Messi too then I guess !

• He probably was too small and lightweight to be in the first team squad at 14, so clearly would have had to be released once the academy was closed.

• @NewburyWanderer said:

Technically anything we pay can now be classed as "Championship wages" as after all, we are in the Championship!

I'm not certain that is what Rob would have meant.

By all accounts our playing budget last year was 2-2.2M based on the FFP regulations (or whatever the acronym is for L1).

I find it hard to believe we would have doubled that but with the extra players coming in for the B team and signings, perhaps we have.

Does anyone know if transfer fees are meant to be included in the %?

• @Croider said:
    He probably was too small and lightweight to be in the first team squad at 14, so clearly would have had to be released once the academy was closed.

We released him from the Academy before it was closed

• We picked up Jordan Ibe who was released by Charlton I believe. It is really almost impossible to predict talent. All the academies have squads of 20 at each age group, they often only actually want 2 or 3 players in each group. Some of the premiership clubs have franchises who feed into the big brand club, so often hundreds of kids in each age group. Josh Scowen was a very average player and would have been a make weight up to 18 ish then suddenly blossomed in to a player that was too good for us.

• Finding rough diamonds/late developers who have serious potential is an incredible skill to have. But in our management team we seem quite blessed in that department.

• Didnt we get Steve Guppy after he'd been released by Southampton ? Went on to get an England cap ! Loads of players get released and still make it

• We also had Terry Howard who was sacked mid game by Orient ! And he was fantastic for us

• Sheff Utd rejected the opportunity to sign Diego Maradona in 1978 (they actually came close but didn't want to pay extra fees to agents on top of the 200k transfer fee they'd agreed)

Doesn't get any better than that

• As I understand it Forest got shot of Andy Cole and more recently Patrick Bamford

• @eric_plant said:
    Sheff Utd rejected the opportunity to sign Diego Maradona in 1978 (they actually came close but didn't want to pay extra fees to agents on top of the 200k transfer fee they'd agreed)

Doesn't get any better than that

That's incredible! Now that is an alternate history that would be interesting, to see the least...

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Cash was £14m plus add ons...for a player ‘released’ by Wycombe when we closed our academy. Sad but true.

No doubt Forest’s version of @trevor welcomed him to the club with ‘released by Wycombe, must be non-league standard’ type messages.

• And Forest's version of @davecz would have been complaining about Bamford not scoring triple figures every season.