Skip to content

Several new signings incoming...

Comments

• Still trying to work out the intentions myself.

Is it literally to have a b team to play fixtures. Or is it simply to bring in some promising youngsters?
    If it's the former, we presumably will have to pad the team out with first team squad players and staff for a bit first?

• @Malone said:
    If it's the former, we presumably will have to pad the team out with first team squad players and staff for a bit first?

Or trialists?

• First team players getting limited (or zero) minutes in the Championship?
    First team players returning from injury who need a run-out?

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Shev said:
    I may have missed something on this, but do we have any idea as to when the B Team will begin yo play games as opposed to just training?

There's only 6 of them

The rule of 6

• @Malone said:
    Still trying to work out the intentions myself.

Is it literally to have a b team to play fixtures. Or is it simply to bring in some promising youngsters?

I think their intention is to mimic the Brentford B model so arrange one off friendlies and face different types of opposition at different levels, but wouldn't be surprised if they also registered them for a development league to give them regular fixtures too.

Someone else already has mentioned it, but wouldn't be surprised if we see a few days after the close of the transfer window where there's a flurry of signings as there will be a fair few out of contract players due to the circumstances.

• U hope any new signings are up to the standard req

• edited September 2020

@thedieharder said:
    Have we ever had a player to play for Cyprus or St Kitts and Nevis before?

What about the lad who played at right back that came with Saunders from Brentford? Cant remember his name exactly but it sounded Cypriot/Greek. Really sorry we couldn't get him back at the time.

• Nico Yennaris was eligible to play for Cyprus. He represented England at youth level but has now moved to China and has played for their national team. He is also now known as Li Ke

• @RomanHats said:
    Nico Yennaris was eligible to play for Cyprus. He represented England at youth level but has now moved to China and has played for their national team. He is also now known as Li Ke

Thanks @RomanHats just for the life of me I couldn't remember his name! So I got part of my memory right, he was eligible for Cyprus, just didn't end up getting the call up I guess.

• What a shame he went to China...I assume for the dollar...

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@RomanHats said:
    Nico Yennaris was eligible to play for Cyprus. He represented England at youth level but has now moved to China and has played for their national team. He is also now known as Li Ke

Thanks @RomanHats just for the life of me I couldn't remember his name! So I got part of my memory right, he was eligible for Cyprus, just didn't end up getting the call up I guess.

Would be interesting to know the ins and outs.
    China are ranked a million miles aboves Cyrpus, so it'd be strange if he hadn't been offered the chance to play for Cyprus.
    Perhaps he always made his allegiance clear early on.

• Clearly the B team is being put in place to support the long term financial and sustainable future of the club. However has Covid and all the restrictions resulted in this being a flawed strategy in doing it now? Should the club have totally focussed on supporting the first team. Obviously revenues in the Championship are well above League 1 and staying in the Championship next year ( I hope we can) would go much further in sustaining our future. Should we have used the money on the 6 signings for the B team on perhaps 1 or 2 first team players?
    In normal circumstances, the B team would make perfect sense but we are not living in normal circumstances, so once Covid struck, should the club have stopped supporting this initiative.

• @Wendoverman said:
    What a shame he went to China...I assume for the dollar...

His mother's from China, so the move probably had motivations other than money.

• @Wendoverman said:

His Mum is Chinese I believe, was a profile in World Soccer the other month

• @peterparrotface said:

@Wendoverman said:

His Mum is Chinese I believe, was a profile in World Soccer the other month

Aaah...that explains it. Although professionally a step back surely...

• @Wendoverman said:
    How long before the first post questioning money being spent on this when we do yet have the signings (apparently) that will ensure our survival in the Championship?

It took 24 hours but the winner is @davecz

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Shev said:
    I may have missed something on this, but do we have any idea as to when the B Team will begin yo play games as opposed to just training?

There's only 6 of them

Indeed. I thought I had read they would be topped up with players left out of the first team matchday squad, in order to get games. That might have just been speculation, though.

• Basicly signed league Two standard players not good at all.

• @Wendoverman - is there a prize for winning?Sorry don’t quite understand your comment “ when we do yet have the signings ( apparently) that will ensure our survival in the Championship “. Who are they ?. Not sure the new ones can do on their own.

• I was suggesting in jest that it was inevitable that someone would at some point in the thread question the spending on the 'B' team signings when we had not yet secured the midfielders required to ensure our survival in the Championship. Admittedly I had missed out a 'not' in the original post. Does that clarify?

• I am enjoying the posts from those fans who think we can only stay in this league by 'signing more players' and then getting the hump when we sign people for our already announced B team.
    Their anger and annoyance is so good to watch. It will only get worse in the next fortnight whilst they shout for the last 8 years to be ripped up in a self entitled panic

• @trevor said:
    Basicly signed league Two standard players not good at all.

You're not getting this B team/development thang at all are you trev?

• @Right_in_the_Middle - glad your enjoying the posts. Not angry or annoyed, just raising the issue that due to Covid, was the B team the best use of our limited funds.

• The "B-team" basically buys us more tickets at the raffle so to speak. If even one of them becomes a first teamer their value sky rockets and the setup pays for itself with a transfer fee or a valuable first team player. It might even take a few seasons but if we keep recruiting players at this level and come across a late developer the system will have worked.

The raffle analogy is slightly incorrect as a good coaching and scouting team make it more a calculated risk than a gamble.

• @trevor said:

Followed their careers closely have you?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I was suggesting in jest that it was inevitable that someone would at some point in the thread question the spending on the 'B' team signings when we had not yet secured the midfielders required to ensure our survival in the Championship. Admittedly I had missed out a 'not' in the original post. Does that clarify?

Goon fans gonna goon.
    Always.

• @Wendoverman said:

@trevor said:

Well it's waste of spending when can't afford players for the first team.

• edited September 2020

@trevor said:

@Wendoverman said:

@trevor said:

Well it's waste of spending when can't afford players for the first team.

Not according to the people who you predicted would not get us out of League Two @trevor so forgive me for thinking this is quite a good thing. It's not an Academy but it's a start...

• @davecz said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle - glad your enjoying the posts. Not angry or annoyed, just raising the issue that due to Covid, was the B team the best use of our limited funds.

I'm quite happy with it. In fact I would have bought the youth set up back. We are invrsting in the future both on and off the pitch. Saying all this could be better used on a new first team player or two is short sighted.
    The current Covid crisis is not costing us as much as others. Our crowds aren't as big and our promotion got us over a major drawbridge just in time. Investing now whilst others can't is cheaper and will have a multiplier effect in the future.

• An academy would be great but is hugely more expensive than a B Team - lets walk before we try to run.

The B Team gives us a bunch of players our coaching staff have assessed with potential and the right attitude who they will develop into either current season back-ups or even better future season first teamers.