Skip to content

Comments

• Available for tomorrow.
    COYB

• Good to have the option of a strong, pacey player in midfield.

• Naughty, Chris!

• I'm expecting good things from him. I've seen him play plenty of times and believe he's what we need.

Maybe need a game or 2 to get upto the pace of the championship but he's defentily got ability, I've stated on other discussions it's a good move for all in involved.

• Thanks @ryan_w_kirkby - good to hear from someone who's seen him play a bit.

• Sounds promising, another couple along the same lines please!

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    I'm expecting good things from him. I've seen him play plenty of times and believe he's what we need.

Maybe need a game or 2 to get upto the pace of the championship but he's defentily got ability, I've stated on other discussions it's a good move for all in involved.

How would you describe his strengths as a player?
    Did he get games in Everton’s reserve team or just Under 23’s?

• @glasshalffull said:

@ryan_w_kirkby said:
    I'm expecting good things from him. I've seen him play plenty of times and believe he's what we need.

How would you describe his strengths as a player?
    Did he get games in Everton’s reserve team or just Under 23’s?

Trying my best here not to offend.... he’s athletic, strong, likes to run with the ball, can be a little frustrating at times though. Watched him in the U23s, he’s definitely worth a go.

• Thanks for that, sounds promising.

• Sorry to be a pain @ryan_w_kirkby but you mentioned frustration in an earlier post and it left me then wondering what it was about him that induced that reaction.

• I'm inferring that @ryan_w_kirkby may have reservations about his use of the ball while seeing him as admirably athletic and enthusiastic.

• Not sure on what evidence you’re inferring that @HCblue ! Whatever, we’ll probably get a chance to make snap judgments ourselves in a few hours time.

Relieved to hear from you. You’ve been conspicuous by your absence for too long.

• I am likely to be wrong but I noted @ryan_w_kirkby's description of Adeniran's strengths and noted what he did not include among them to infer what he might think him to lack.

As quite often, I have been easing my way back in after the off-season. Life has a habit of intruding during the off-season. I hope you are well.

• I try to limit my Gasroom visits during the close season but I always seem to find the odd item to comment on. Once matches resume the addiction takes hold and my verbosity takes hold.

Mrs micra and I shielded for three months and, because of underlying health issues, the good lady has only ventured out a few times since. I should be going for walks but don’t. I clock up half a mile twice a week going round ASDA and Morrisons and that’s about it. But, yes, thank goodness we are both well.

• If only I knew how to edit. I originally said my verbosity knows no bounds (which, sadly, it doesn’t/does), changed it, then found I’d used that phrase a few words earlier. I can almost see your annotation - “must do better” !

• Glad to hear the positive news.

One never says "must do better" these days. Too prescriptive. "Micra would enjoy the rewards to be found from expanding his range of truisms".

• How dare you question my range of truisms ! Not sure what they are when they’re at home (as l believe the expression used to go).

• @micra said:
    Sorry to be a pain @ryan_w_kirkby but you mentioned frustration in an earlier post and it left me then wondering what it was about him that induced that reaction.

Just he makes the wrong decisions at times when he's on the ball, but he's only young. Plus if I just put all good stuff I might build everyone's expectations up to high!

• Great response. Many thanks. I think we may have seen an instance of that in time added on when he managed to keep the ball when surrounded by two or three opponents but then losing it rather than hoofing it upfield. The initial bit was almost Eze-like.

• Hard to judge him on one game, but he looks like can keep it, and move with it better than most of our other options.
    Often played backwards a bit too much, but again, a hard game to do much in!

• edited September 2020

Didn't notice him much first half, but thought he looked useful at times after the break.

• I thought the two players making their full debuts, Tafazolli and Adeniran, both played well in our much improved second half display. We were up against a team that finished in the playoffs last season and were in the Premier League two years ago. Their two scorers Ayew and Lowe cost a combined £21m. Glad to see that the majority of people understand how difficult this league is going to be, but the handful of people posting negative comments need to get a sense of perspective.

• A mere glance at the two squads shows a huge gulf in class that we simply can't expect to overcome. How much must Gibbs-White alone be worth? >20M?

I appreciate that the players never let their heads drop and kept fighting right until the end. I imagine they will do so all season

• As @glasshalffull says £21million of strikers is yet another reminder of what we are up against. But we need to do something to stop this post game review of how awesome and how expensive the opposition are. Or we might not have bothered with the play offs really. We need to get something different sorted as an attacking team. Bayo can do that of course but depending on a 38 year old to save us is a non starter. Samuel and Kashket can be willing but against superior defenders and with a less than impressive collective strike rate thats not gonna do it either.
    As each defeat piles up and performances to go with scorelines premiership clubs will be less likely to let their precious best to come to Wycombe for a weekly beating.
    Dobbo and GA wanted this challenge and oh boy they have it. But at the moment it looks like more questions than answers to me.

• We're putting a lot on Gape and Uche's shoulders I think. A lot of us are using the absence of both as a big factor in the displays so far, but it's still to be seen if either are game changes at all at this level.

Let's really hope they are!

Today's second half was a lot better than the first one, but still next to no chances created against a Swansea who knew they had the game wrapped up.

Horgan surely has to play, and surely out wide.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:-

"we need to do something to stop this post game review of how awesome and how expensive the opposition are. Or we might not have bothered with the play offs really"

I beg to differ.

Even if we don't win a single game this season, and finish bottom of the Championship, our finances will be far better than had we not won the play-offs.
    We will have had a seasons experience of playing against Championship teams, all our players will be better for that.
    Our squad will have been improved by the addition of players like Uche, Tafazolli & Horgan.
    The infrastructure of the ground has seen some significant improvements such as the floodlight upgrade and the digital advertising boards.
    We will finish the season in our highest ever finishing position and that will be higher than Ipswich, Sunderland, Oxford It's & Peterborough.
    I'll always remember those moments screened from Wembley, seeing Matt Bloomfield, JJ, Bayo, Darius Charles, Stewart, GA, Dobbo, Pete Couhig celebrating the win.

If you think all these thing aren't worth bothering with then I pity you.

• We remain on target for our highest ever league finish.

• Great post @Twizz. ‘Not bothered with the play-offs,’ my goodness. I shall be reliving those games long after I’ve forgotten losing today.

• I fully agree with @TheAndyGrahamFanClub. We never (or at least I didn't believe) that liitle old Wycombe would ever get in the Championship. I don't believe it is a defeatist attitude to accept that there is a very good chance that we will end up back in League one next season.

Unless the Premier League help out Football League clubs, it is inevitable that some will unfortunately cease to exist. Our promotion and the extra money gives us the opportunity to secure our short term financial future, provided that we don't overstretch ourselves trying to compete with other clubs with relatively massive wage budgets.

I think the B team is critical for our future success in that it gives Gareth and his staff the opportunity to develop young "cast offs" into first team players and then hopefully significant transfer value à la Brentford and Exeter.

Unfortunately, I worry that the "Trevors" of this world will be calling for Gareth's head if results do not improve. However, I am confident that our owners will have the common sense to ignore such demands.

• @floyd said:
    Great post @Twizz. ‘Not bothered with the play-offs,’ my goodness. I shall be reliving those games long after I’ve forgotten losing today.

Hear, hear.