Skip to content

FA Cup draw + local games

The draw was made today for the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round to be played on Saturday 3rd October. Thus is how it affected our local sides:

Chichester City v Risborough Rangers
Burnham v Whyteleafe
Bracknell Town v Marlow

In addition, 2 local sides are at home this weekend if you fancy some live Hellenic League Premier Division football:

Flackwell Heath v Tuffley Rovers
Holmer Green v Shrivenham

Flackwell Heath is £6/£3 to get in and even whets your appetite by promising “paper programmes”. Now there’s an innovation!!!

Comments

• Slightly further afield there are some good ties in prospect:

AFC Dunstable v Hemel Hempstead Town
    Brackley Town v Billericay Town
    Leighton Town v Leiston
    St Albans City v Hitchin Town

One for our older supporters which stands out & brings back some memories:

Corinthian Casuals v Dulwich Hamlet

And finally, for anyone based in the West Country a real local Devon/Somerset derby:

Tiverton Town v Taunton Town

• Craig Woodman at Tiverton Town now I think?

• It would appear that the St Albans v Hitchin game will be behind closed doors (if it is played at all).

Had Hitchin been drawn at home, supporters would be allowed to watch.

There’s logic there somewhere....

• @DevC you are quite correct about the St Albans City v Hitchin Town game being played behind closed doors (I wonder if St Albans would consider switching the game to Top Field, Hitchin to let their supporters see it live?).

Of course the same applies to the Brackley v Billericay tie as Brackley play in the National League North. This Saturday a pre-season friendly between Oxford City & Brackley Town is having to be played behind closed doors.

The absurdity of these regulations is breathtaking. However, once in place the Government seems very reluctant to amend them for fear of being seen to be making a u-turn. If necessary at all, the regulations should have been based on ground capacity not league status.

• Local Hellenis League Premier Division results today:

Flackwell Heath 2 Tuffley Rovers 1
    Holmer Green 4 Shrivenham 0
    Windsor 2 Burnham 1

I watched the Flackwell Heath v Tuffley Rovers game at a bitterly cold Wilks Park. Heathens took an early lead after a keeper error & doubled their lead midway through the second half. Although the visitors pulled a goal back with 10 minutes to go Flackwell should have been out of sight by then. Nice to get a live game in after watching the Wycombe game on Sky.

• Went to Aylesbury Vale Dynamos 2 Edgware Town 3 decent game Scott Mcglesh played centre back for Edgware and scored the winner from the spot.

• edited September 2020

What sort of turnouts do Flackwell get @A_Worboys.

Presumably very easy side street parking round there?

• @Aok84 Great to see Scott McGleish still scoring at 46!

@Malone The crowd at Flackwell Heath today was 83, Holmer Green 48. The largest crowd of the day would have been at Windsor - not sure how many? It’s a pity more people don’t support grassroots clubs during the current quasi-lockdown. They are still the backbone & lifeblood of their communities.

• Went to Kings Langley 3 Nuneaton 2, last minute winner, 35 year old Leroy Lita scoring both for the visitors

• Liked mcgleish very much when he played for us. Anyone else remember him scoring against us for Leyton Orient in League One...Did that game send us down?

• Haven’t yet managed to get to one or more off these games but intend to do so soon to get my fix of live footie. Keep up the good work with telling us what’s on Andy.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Liked mcgleish very much when he played for us. Anyone else remember him scoring against us for Leyton Orient in League One...Did that game send us down?

Did it get Peter Taylor the sack?

• edited September 2020

Given the manner of his departure I was appalled that day to see the warm reception he got from the wycombe fans.

Probably my least favourite former player of all time

• @PrinceOfCrowell No. Taylor got sacked early season. That game was near the end of the season, as Waddock took us down, I think.

• Tues 3rd Oct 2009

• Sounds like it was an eventful game at Bracknell with Marlow eventually going out on penalties after coming back from two down despite being reduced to 10 after a sending off. Also worth mentioning the crowd - nearly 400. Is that allowed?
    Shame Burnham was called off ( despite the effort of locals to make pitch playable), they'd have got a bumper crowd too I should think.

• It'd be very interesting to hear the logic that allows 400 into a ground with 2,500 capacity with a tiny smattering of seating, that deems say 1,000 is not acceptable in a ground four times the size, with loads of seating.

• I'm still finding it strange that people can go to non league games but not league games where there are arguably much better facilities

• @Malone said:
    It'd be very interesting to hear the logic...

Always good to see an optimist on here. Logic seems to be a somewhat ignored feature of most actions/decisions regarding Covid

• It’s ridiculous that AFC Dunstable could host Hemel Hempstead Town in the FA Cup with spectators allowed in but had the fixture been reversed it would have had to have been played behind closed doors.

Likewise, St Albans beat Hitchin Town with no spectators allowed in. Had it been reversed spectators could have been allowed in yet the 2 grounds are almost identical in size and configuration.

The logic (or lack of it) is breathtaking & I have no faith in the Government that they know what they’re doing - apart from wrecking the economy, creating massive problems with other illnesses & making the country utterly fed up.

• You can’t really complain about this Government when you voted for it.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    You can’t really complain about this Government when you voted for it.

That's like saying you can't complain about a manager or a player you initially wanted in.

• I didn't vote for it, and I suspect the majority of football fans didn't vote for it @glasshalfempty, albeit most posters on here probably did, other than the good doctor!

• Even more ridiculous was the Step 3 hosting Step 2 clubs fixtures, where Step 3 fans were allowed in but Step 2 fans weren't!

This humorous press release from Corinthian Casuals (Isthmian Prem) in advance of their home game against Dulwich Hamlett (Conference South) highlights the absurd situation.

http://www.corinthian-casuals.com/news/corinthian-casuals-vs-dulwich-hamlet-statement

• @mooneyman said:
    I didn't vote for it, and I suspect the majority of football fans didn't vote for it @glasshalfempty, albeit most posters on here probably did, other than the good doctor!

I would suspect the majority on here didn’t. Most on here seem capable of putting some thought into arguments/viewpoints so unlikely to have not seen through BJ and co

• @glasshalfempty said:
    You can’t really complain about this Government when you voted for it.

That's about the daftest thing you've ever written

• By my reckoning, there’s about 5 people on here who definitely voted for Alex De Pfeffel’s boys in blue. Clue: I’m not one of them.

• In case anyone's interested, Burnham's FA Cup tie has been switched to their opponents 3g pitch. The game will be at Whyteleafe tomorrow evening

• @arnos_grove said:
    By my reckoning, there’s about 5 people on here who definitely voted for Alex De Pfeffel’s boys in blue. Clue: I’m not one of them.

Technically they voted for 'Bitter Baker' if they were in the Wycombe constituency.
    Judging by old 'Sour dough's' antics in the last 12 months, it seems he was either mislead or deluded into thinking his Brexit Bully boy role would be rewarded with a cabinet post.

• Burnham were the latest (& last) Bucks Non-League side to exit this year’s FA Cup when they lost a rearranged tie 3-1 tonight at Whyteleafe.