Skip to content

No new midfielders

Comments

• I posted this first

• Don't know anything about him, but fingers crossed!

• Bloomfield's given absolutely everything to this club for nearly 2 decades, he's taken pay cuts to stay, and he's sacrificed time with his family to be at his very best.

In addition to that he's one of the nicest blokes you could ever wish to meet.

He's rightly revered as a club legend - that is what he is. And by the way, he's a very good footballer.

I'm delighted to see him playing for Wycombe in the Championship. It's beyond my and I'm sure his wildest dreams. He cried when we won at Wembley. So did I. That's the sort of connection a player has with supporters that most can only dream of.

• Here is the thing @Username . If you really think he struggled in League One it's obvious you will write him off after two Championship games playing out of position.
    Clearly others, me and the current manager included, think he offered a great deal and are willing to give him time.

I agree 100% he's not a 46 game midfielder but with Gape and Thompson coming back alongside his years Ofoborh being recruited I am supporting him to produce this season.

• Probably my favourite thing about Blooms is people seemingly being surprised when he plays, or plays well, has run his nuts off forever, looks fitter than he ever was. Obviously found out when we got promoted twice in recent years.

• @eric_plant said:
    Bloomfield's given absolutely everything to this club for nearly 2 decades, he's taken pay cuts to stay, and he's sacrificed time with his family to be at his very best.

He's rightly revered as a club legend - that is what he is. And by the way, he's a very good footballer.

I'm delighted to see him playing for Wycombe in the Championship. It's beyond my and I'm sure his wildest dreams. He cried when we won at Wembley. So did I. That's the sort of connection a player has with supporters that most can only dream of.

Couldn't agree more with all of that, but none if it contradicts anything I've said.

I'm delighted for him, and happy he's getting the chance to play in the Championship, the question is how much we rely on him this year.

• Every year I watch these threads mutely, but this time I can't hold my tongue. What does "Championship standard" mean?

Clint Hill played 72 games in the Premier League. Was he Premier League standard?

Callum McManaman played 46 games in the Premier League. Was he Premier League standard?

Steve Hodge played 24 games for England. Was he international standard?

I'm sure loads of people argued that their clubs/nation could have done better than those players. For my own part, I'd say that none of those were the best players of their type at that level; but they had a combination of talent, professionalism and intelligence that meant they could do a necessary job for their teams at that level for a reasonably extended period. And isn't that what we're expecting from many of our players? They won't stand out amongst their Championship peers, but we need them to do the job required of them within the team.

God knows, I'm sure I've read in recent years on here that Kashket and Jacobson (just for example) weren't "League 1standard", but they seemed to manage all right for us.

So is Championship standard Ollie Watkins last season? Or Matty Pearson last season? Or is it just bollocks?

• @our_frank said:
    Every year I watch these threads mutely, but this time I can't hold my tongue. What does "Championship standard" mean?

Clint Hill played 72 games in the Premier League. Was he Premier League standard?

Callum McManaman played 46 games in the Premier League. Was he Premier League standard?

Steve Hodge played 24 games for England. Was he international standard?

I'm sure loads of people argued that their clubs/nation could have done better than those players. For my own part, I'd say that none of those were the best players of their type at that level; but they had a combination of talent, professionalism and intelligence that meant they could do a necessary job for their teams at that level for a reasonably extended period. And isn't that what we're expecting from many of our players? They won't stand out amongst their Championship peers, but we need them to do the job required of them within the team.

God knows, I'm sure I've read in recent years on here that Kashket and Jacobson (just for example) weren't "League 1standard", but they seemed to manage all right for us.

So is Championship standard Ollie Watkins last season? Or Matty Pearson last season? Or is it just bollocks?

Oh...I know this one....it’s ‘b’ isn’t it?

• @eric_plant said:
    Bloomfield's given absolutely everything to this club for nearly 2 decades, he's taken pay cuts to stay, and he's sacrificed time with his family to be at his very best.

Obligatory POTD

• I suggest fans of Derby (two games no points) Barnsley (two games no points) Huddersfield (two games no points) and Forest (two games no points) will be far more worried about their players not being up to it after two games than we should be.

• The issue for me is that if Bloomfield is going to play, he needs to be fully fit, firing on all cylinders, at his tenacious best. This league is such a step up that a tired Bloomfield will never offer much, given his game is based so much on running and breaking up play. Saturday's performance doesn't reflect well on him and he'll be the first to admit that. And at 38 there will be many more days where he won't be able to keep up with play. That's why we need much more strength in depth. The Echo doesn't make mistakes so we're clearly about to sign Dennis Adeniran. He seems like the sort of tenacious midfielder we need to complement Bloomfield in the squad.

• @glasshalffull - can I suggest that it’s a bit of a lame comment saying I defer to the manager’s judgment . Surely you can have an opinion that differs from our manager.

• I think I was more happy for Bloomfield for that promotion than anyone else, even GA. I feel as though in some ways he had given so much without ever being front and centre for a signature moment (when we got promoted in 2017-18, El-Abd was team captain). For him to be the one lifting the trophy (with Bayo) in our greatest moment gives him a deserved iconic image that will remain indelibly written in everyone's memories for ever. That's not to downplay everything he had done up to that moment...I was just thrilled that he finally got that incredible payoff for his service.

• @davecz said:
    @glasshalffull - can I suggest that it’s a bit of a lame comment saying I defer to the manager’s judgment . Surely you can have an opinion that differs from our manager.

Agree with this, but also it could be that you think GA knows we need someone but just hasn't found the right option, and are concerned that managers can't always find a signing even if they want one for whatever reason.

• @Username said:

@davecz said:
    @glasshalffull - can I suggest that it’s a bit of a lame comment saying I defer to the manager’s judgment . Surely you can have an opinion that differs from our manager.

Agree with this, but also it could be that you think GA knows we need someone but just hasn't found the right option, and are concerned that managers can't always find a signing even if they want one for whatever reason.

...and that it's not exactly a mystery what the reason is. We might be far less skint than we would have been pre-Couhigs or pre-championship but aren't in the same shops as most of our rivals.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Maybe tomorrow we'll have a new midfielder announced on loan and everyone will be happy...

He’s exactly what we want/need. He athletic, strong and good on the ball but can be a little frustrating at times, hoping he kicks on here, he’s done well for Everton u23s.

• Sounds promising.

• edited September 2020

@glasshalffull said:
    I get that this is a forum for different opinions, but as ever I defer to the manager’s judgment on who is good enough and who isn’t. He has a pretty good track record in that area.

@davecz said:

If I am reading that correctly, after saying he realises this is a forum for different opinions @glasshalffull (towing the company line of course) goes on to suggest HE was deferring to the manager's judgement @davecz . We may be oldies in rose-tinted glasses but we know we cannot keep you rebellious freethinking truth-tellers down.

• I wonder if we do pre-appointment interviews with prospective loanees/employees where we explore their willingness to be Wycombised

• I think it takes so long because GA and Dobbo seek out those who are clearly already Wycombised to some degree but just need the last bit coached into them.

• @Username said:

And Bloomfield is an absolute club legend, but there's a reason why he's never been above league 1...

Could if be something to do with the fact that the only team he has played for had never previously been above league 1?

(I actually think if he had been 10 years younger he would have thrived at this level. May be a little harder at his current age but he is an intelligent footballer and deserves the chance to adapt his game).

As an aside, it isn’t always about natural ability. Sometimes sheer hard work and perseverance to improve can be enough. A local lad up here who was never viewed as being that naturally talented worked on his game all the time to become one of the country’s best forwards (Kevin Keegan)

• Kevin Keegan is from Booker?

• Kevin Keegan The only Brittish player to win European Footballer of the year Two years running.
    Yet you still hear people saying he was just a manufactured footballer.
    Keegan combined talent, with bravery and incredible work rate to be the finest centre forward I've seen in an England shirt.

• No but he was born a couple of miles from where I now live and went to the same school as my daughters did 50 years later.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:

@ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Maybe tomorrow we'll have a new midfielder announced on loan and everyone will be happy...

He’s exactly what we want/need. He athletic, strong and good on the ball but can be a little frustrating at times, hoping he kicks on here, he’s done well for Everton u23s.

If the checkatrade is anything to go by, you will know its a big step up to the championship. Its numbers, but not sure its going to improve us massively.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@ryan_w_kirkby said:

@ryan_w_kirkby said:

If the checkatrade is anything to go by, you will know its a big step up to the championship. Its numbers, but not sure its going to improve us massively.

I'm not judging on the checkatrade, I've watched him plenty of times and when I heard yesterday he might be coming i was very happy.

• edited September 2020

Bloomfield hasn't been "up to it" for every season since Gormania, according to some posters.
    Every season he comes through stronger, and remains well in the manager's plans.

Eventually that will end, but I'm not even sure this is the season for that yet.
    But he needs to play the very precise role he's played previously, not being one of the two deeper mids.

Pattison is probably best suited in the same role as Bloomfield, so again isn't best suited where he's currently playing, it's circumstances dictating it.

Freeman is probably another who again best suits that furthest forward midfielder.

I guess we've been spoilt by how Gape has always been available until now, and it's exposed a massive gap. Horribly coinciding with Thompson missing for whatever the reason.