Skip to content

No new midfielders

Season only a few days and no new midfielders. We have strengthened our defence and attack but in area where we lack speed and creativity , no signings or even rumours. My feeling is Bloomfield and Thompson should only be back up squad players to more regular midfielders who have the energy and legs to be able execute the press we want to play. Hopefully some news soon.

Comments

• You're right to be worried given our inexperienced, unproven manager.

• Pattison is Bloomfield-in-waiting. We do need more in midfield (especially goals), but we still surely have 4-5 loanees to come in, besides whichever permament signings we may still make.

• @davecz are you implying that Thompson doesn't have the legs for a midfield role?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    @davecz are you implying that Thompson doesn't have the legs for a midfield role?

He is always a slow starter to the season or when back from injury - once up to full fitness of course he is an engine.
    Who is the player second from right on team awards group photo taken at training ground yesterday? Is he the midfielder who played in the West Ham friendly?

• I really don’t get this ‘we need to sign x midfielders’ thing.

We are Wycombe. Everyone knows we don’t actually need any as we just hoof the ball over midfield.

• Did you not see the Brentford game @bookertease ? (I realise you were probably tongue in cheek.)

• Congratulations on finding a second subject to post about @davecz!

However, "no signings or even rumours" is a bit of a stretch given that Karacan is in the latest photos on the official website, and has been named and discussed on here while playing in the friendly against West Ham as it was live streamed on YouTube.

• It's not Karacan

• @micra said:
    Did you not see the Brentford game @bookertease ? (I realise you were probably tongue in cheek.)

Me???

• @chairboyscentral said:
    It's not Karacan

Gutted.

• @drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    It's not Karacan

Gutted.

That's not say he wasn't hiding at the back somewhere...

• It looks a lot like Karacan to me @chairboyscentral
    What makes you so sure it isn't him?

• @Sherrinford said:
    It looks a lot like Karacan to me @chairboyscentral

It looks nothing like him, plus Neil Harman confirmed it's this guy (an extra training 'keeper from last season). The club wouldn't leak a new signing like that.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Sherrinford said:
    It looks a lot like Karacan to me @chairboyscentral

It looks nothing like him, plus Neil Harman confirmed it's this guy (an extra training 'keeper from last season). The club wouldn't leak a new signing like that.

Didn't they do it with the new 3rd kit?

• Fair enough, I can see the resemblance and agree it would be unusual for the club to reveal a signing like that. Not the tallest keeper though is he?

• Season starts tomorrow and still no new midfielders. Will be interested to see we line up tomorrow in midfield. Will McCarthy and/or Wheeler be drafted in? May be fortunate we are playing Rotherham, another relegation favourite.

• Thought we play three in midfield (especially against a side like Rotherham who apparently play narrow). Pattison, Bloomfield, Freeman and Thompson should be sufficient surely? And I’ve probably missed someone out.

• Yes if those players can't be used you'd have to question why we kept them.

Therefore it's a good test today whoever gets the nod.

• Even I’m getting a bit edgy. Could this be the big day?

• Even a distinct lack of rumours about new players and loanees. Perhaps we are going to do a lot of late trading hopefully. With the official summer window closing on 5th October but then there is a domestic only window ( which is more appropriate for us ) closing on 16th October , there is still time.

• Pardon my hignorance @davecz but what is a domestic only window?

• No international transfers.

• Not sure how to do the link thingys... but yesterday and today's rumours on twitter were Josh Sheehan, ex Swansea I think, and Jackson Irvine ex Hull.... both midfielders

• Have we got any new midfielders yet? Only one and a half days to the next game.

• Just had a quick google out of interest, Irvine has played over 30 games for Australia... now were in the championship are we big enough to sign internationals !?

• Irvine has been released by Hull who have been relegated. Sheehan plays for Newport County. Not very exciting rumours . Certainly do not appear any better than we already got.

• Blackburn Rovers (a) on Saturday. In a league game. Doesn't that put a skip in your step and a smile on your face?

• Joe Jacobson was released by Shrewsbury, who had been relegated. He's now a Championship player

Wycombe released Darren Currie when we were relegated. He joined a team who reached the Championship play offs

• Wasn't Grimmer released by Coventry? Bayo by Wimbledon? If a boy can play and fits in with the squad...not sure it matters. I suspect as usual, we will have signings who we are unsure about but end up exciting us on the pitch, but if you are expecting exciting high profile signings this season @davecz you might be disappointed.