Skip to content

On the bright side.......

Peterborough's 'Tour of Vengeance' (©️ Darragh MacAnthony) got off to a great start!!!

Comments

• Bottom of L1!!!!

• And we are outside the relegation zone.

• And Oxford still have a play off hangover.

• And whatever happened to that club we played at Wembley just over five years ago? Were they playing one of the big clubs?
    Schadenfreude all round, if only briefly.

• Sadly I understand Sarfend are one of the many teams caught up in the dodgy owner/winding up orders / having to play kids net so I don't revel in their troubles. Could have been us last term had the unsuitably dressed in your face up front and centre owners had not elbowed their way in.

• Peterborough on the other hand...

• Not forgetting @Wendoverman our friends just down the road! ???

• Highest ever league position and yet feeling strangely empty. Fearing difficult times ahead.

• @micra said:
    And whatever happened to that club we played at Wembley just over five years ago? Were they playing one of the big clubs?
    Schadenfreude all round, if only briefly

You’re right @Wendoverman. but my memories of that match linger longer than most. The cynical scrape on Sam Saunders’ Achilles within a few minutes of kickoff, some fairly uncongenial exchanges between the respective sets of fans before kickoff and the trauma in particular of the manner of defeat have shaped my attitude, I suspect. More recent memory falls into the “what I had for breakfast” category and their ownership trials and tribulations had completely escaped me.

It’s too early in the season to compensate for my faux pas by offering commiserations to followers of The Shrimpers but you are right about the ownership situation and we owe an enormous debt of gratitude to the Couhigs and to our Trust colleagues who invited them to take a peek at little old Wycombe.

@Wendoverman said:
    Sadly I understand Sarfend are one of the many teams caught up in the dodgy owner/winding up orders / having to play kids net so I don't revel in their troubles. Could have been us last term had the unsuitably dressed in your face up front and centre owners had not elbowed their way in.

• This nicely sums up Southend's plight...i had to watch it several times before i understood what was going on!

• That is certainly sad. On a par with that backpass by Darius to “Stocko”. But that mattered rather less!

• Well, let’s hope it did!

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Highest ever league position and yet feeling strangely empty. Fearing difficult times ahead.

Coventry lost yesterday as well. Dont lose heart. We lose we learn.

• That is absolutely incredible defending, or lack there of.

So casual with an opponent a few cm in front of you, and seemingly one of these setups where they insist on playing out from the back irrespective of circumstance.

• Sorry @Malone you don’t usually lose me but I’m afraid you have on this occasion.

• @micra said:
    Sorry @Malone you don’t usually lose me but I’m afraid you have on this occasion.

The clip posted 4 posts up.
    I probably could have done it as a reply to the post, but thought it was still close enough to see what it related to :)

• I was a bit confused when I saw that last night. Isn't the rule that the opposition have to be out of the area when the kick is taken? Therefore, the attacker in that instance (who has remained in the area throughout) shouldn't be able to play the ball, which is presumably why the Southend defender case is a little quizzical.

• If the defending team takes the kick without giving the attacking players time to leave the area the attacking players are ‘live.’

• @our_frank said:
    I was a bit confused when I saw that last night. Isn't the rule that the opposition have to be out of the area when the kick is taken? Therefore, the attacker in that instance (who has remained in the area throughout) shouldn't be able to play the ball, which is presumably why the Southend defender case is a little quizzical.

Good point, presuming that it wasn't a foul that happened, quite coincidentally where you'd re-start a goal kick from!

Still horribly casual from the defender either way. You're not Baresi. Just get rid in that situation.

• @Malone said:

@micra said:
    Sorry @Malone you don’t usually lose me but I’m afraid you have on this occasion.

I probably could have done it as a reply to the post, but thought it was still close enough to see what it related to :)

Nice irony (which you were no doubt hinting at, given my obsession with “unnecessary” copying down!)

It certainly looked crass whatever the rule ramifications.

• @micra said:

@Malone said:

@micra said:

Nice irony (which you were no doubt hinting at, given my obsession with “unnecessary” copying down!)

It certainly looked crass whatever the rule ramifications.

You certainly couldn't imagine Stewart trying to do that!

While we're not quite as severe as the league 2 rule of 1 touch to get it, and 1 touch to boot it, we certainly don't mess about in defence.

• @Malone said:

@our_frank said:
    I was a bit confused when I saw that last night. Isn't the rule that the opposition have to be out of the area when the kick is taken? Therefore, the attacker in that instance (who has remained in the area throughout) shouldn't be able to play the ball, which is presumably why the Southend defender case is a little quizzical.

Good point, presuming that it wasn't a foul that happened, quite coincidentally where you'd re-start a goal kick from!

Still horribly casual from the defender either way. You're not Baresi. Just get rid in that situation.

Yeah, surely if you're confused have the discussion when the ball is safely in Row Z. Not sure exactly what is going on at Southend but it's resulting in them playing kids and disappearing without trace if they aren't very lucky.

• That's so bad I wouldn't rule out Southend throwing games for financial gain.