Skip to content

Anyone else finding themselves getting a bit emotional ahead of Saturday?

Comments

• Not just the opening paragraphs @eric_plant

Bloody good job there’s no one else in the office today.

• Yes, thanks for the post @eric_plant. An emotional article although I have yet to see the improvement to the toilets, presumably that will be waiting for us when we return! It does make me look forward to Saturday, it's such a shame that we are are going to be Armchairboys - still I know we will make the very best of it.

• There are a few inaccuracies in the article aren't there?

• You’ve missed them through the tears.

Don’t like the habit of coating off people who have left the club, no need to name Lambert like that for me.

• Agree @peterparrotface and let's hope we upset Paul Warne again this weekend.

• Excited and emotional @eric_plant. Funnily enough, it was this very article that had this effect on me this morning. As for inaccuracies, the McCarthy situation is quite badly misrepresented. It didn't detract from the overall tone of the article for me though.

• The Times article got me quite emotional. Matt Bloomfield might be my favourite player ever.

Those of us who have supported this club since the early nineties are surely among the most fortunate of football supporters.

• And those of us who’ve been supporters since the late ‘sixties are even more fortunate. Very different times, of course, but everything was closer geographically and physically with standing and mobility between halves all adding to the general smoke filled atmosphere. The dearth of information about players etc between matches was a mixed blessing.

• The whole situation for me is getting ever more emotional/surreal. Reading all the recent articles just brings it all home. The saddest part is not being able to go to AP yet. The only consolation with that is that everyone's in the same boat.

• Yes, as we are not going to probably be able to get into grounds until well into the new year (fingers crossed), it is vital we survive in this league so that we a) finally get to see all the big teams at AP and away next season and b) can laugh at Sunderland for failing to come up again.

• For me it all seems a bit surreal without being able to go to matches. I am emotional for that reason.

• @micra said:
    And those of us who’ve been supporters since the late ‘sixties are even more fortunate. Very different times, of course, but everything was closer geographically and physically with standing and mobility between halves all adding to the general smoke filled atmosphere. The dearth of information about players etc between matches was a mixed blessing.

As was the difficulty in finding out the score if you didn’t live locally - and forgot to read the Sunday Telegraph* Many a time I only found out the result by looking at the table two weeks later and subtracting the most recent result.

*politically dodgy opinions (albeit on the sane end compare to its current slavering views) but a cracking paper for sports reporting and the only one that included lower league results and tables.

On the subject of the lower leagues, with the decreasing likelihood of crowds being allowed anytime soon it is going to be really tough for a lot of our former sparring partners in L1 & L2.

Have they announced any financial support does anyone know? If not surely many clubs will suffer

• Torygraph was always the paper of choice for sports reporting. I am disappointed however that their Total Football pullout, not unlike The Game in the Times...only seems to mean totally Premier League and International Football unless some poor EFL club is going to the wall.

• I wonder whether playing in empty away grounds next season may actually help our quest to stay up. It'll certainly be far less intimidating visiting those grounds without fans in, especially given most of our players won't have played in grounds that big so regularly.

Equally though, you could argue we lost an advantage at home with a very different atmosphere at AP.

• Apologies to the three Torygraph Total Football reporters on the Gasroom.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    For me it all seems a bit surreal without being able to go to matches. I am emotional for that reason.

Saw someone this morning who had to stop themselves saying "you down the ground (dain the graind) tomorrow?"

• @peterparrotface I wasn't remotely emotional. Until I saw those vowels.

• That's what Countdown will do to a man

• That dain the graind captures magically the sound (saind) of a very elderly little lady who, along with her long late husband (another Frank) and daughter, I got to know when we first came to Wycombe in ‘74.

The mention of Caintdain reminded me that I have 36 episodes to catch up with. I never will, of course.

Not sure how many on here are aware of the wonderful Matt Berry (alias Michael Squeamish) but the sound of local vowels also called him to mind. My daughter tells me he featured in “The IT Crowd”. I tried to get it on Catchup but apparently I’d need to resurrect or upgrade my subscription.

Thanks @peterparrotface for stirring happy memories. Frank’s widow, now approaching 90, is happily still with us.

• I'm surprised to learn you're a Matt Berry fan @micra. If you have Netflix, the whole of his show Toast of London is on there and well worth watching. I once went to visit someone at a private club in London and Matt Berry provided the voice in the lift announcing the floors.

• Laugh out loud funny. Not something I do that often. Apparently I’m “dry”.

• Matt Berry was in a (terrible) play in London with some other young actors off the telly and afterwards he happily posed for photos and signed autographs for my daughter and was very jolly. 'Thanks for coming out for this...' he said...with the emphasis on 'this'. @micra check out Toast of London and What We Do In The Shadows...hilarious.

• Love The IT crowd... he was great in that, much better than the bloke he took over from

• I can’t wait for tomorrow, everyone at the club should be proud. As fas regardless of how the season goes the players and staff have given us chance to mix with the big boys!!

• currently watching Watford and Middlesboro thinking, 'this is our division!'

• We will have no problem staying up if Watford and Middlesbrough are the norm. Terrible football.

• Sorry about that @HolmerBlue. Not sure if it was a remarkable coincidence but I’d not seen the name @KevBerry before and I tried to tap his username to see when he joined and inadvertently tapped thumbs down under your post! Will now rectify.

• Win 2-0 tomorrow and go top of the league!