Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @floyd said:
    That’s extraordinary money! Well done Exeter.

I know it's complicated but they have made a fortune in sales and sell ons since people started suggesting there was no longer any money to be made from youth teams. Ollie Watkins earned them a big chunk last week.

• Indeed @StrongestTeam, Exeter have done an almost impossible job very well.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@floyd said:

Ollie Watkins earned them a big chunk last week.

£4.2m no less!

• @YorkExile said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@floyd said:

Ollie Watkins earned them a big chunk last week.

£4.2m no less!

Good business. How does that compare to our Ibe sell on clause?

Hopefully our B team concept will bridge this gap until we can get a youth system back

• Exeter are in some ways fortunate to the catchment area they have for young players.

For first team signings relocating/travelling to Exeter every day may be a hindrance and make things a little harder. But with only Plymouth and maybe occasionally Bristol for competition in Young players they can mop up a whole host of talent. Our situation is obviously very different and hence the B team approach to taking on Premier League academy 'drop-outs' or local players showing potentially for a Pro career. Salford City have suggested focusing more on this route in the knowledge they can't compete in the local area with development.

• Obviously Randell Williams didn't come through the Exeter youth system. As of now he hasn't been signed by Peterborough either, let alone for £400k. That suggested figure seems very high even with other Lg1/2 interest.

It is rumoured online but not confirmed that Exeter had a 20% sell on for Wadkins. The real figure may have been more or less. Inexplicably it doesn't appear Exeter sold their rights last week for peanuts though.....

Exeter also have a rumoured sell on for Ethan Ampadu - at chelsea, season loan to Sheff U, may well be another nice little earner for Exeter down the road. (they of course also sold Matt Grimes a couple of years ago for a reported £1.75m)

• Getting talent into our youth team was never the problem @RomanHats , paying for it was.

Our old friend DMac has just rubbished the Randell bid btw.

• Since FPP or whatever it is called it certainly is harder for clubs to hold on to talent. With the peanuts the low category clubs are given I think for a club in our region it makes less financial sense to try develop a player from 10-16 y/o. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems far to easy for "big" clubs to take the best players from the smaller ones. For a club like Exeter, there is no big academies who can poach a young player due to geographical distance if I'm correct. Which allows them to keep players a little longer, and often give them senior game time/contracts which allows them to make money from the set-up.

Ibe came to us having left another London club but was playing way above his age group and under new-rules probably could of been taken by another academy for a relatively small fee. If we can work more in the Brentford/Peterborough model of signing young players and developing into multi-million pound players, that would make more sense than investing heavily in the infrastructure for multiple age groups, only to lose youngsters for a fee in relation to how long you've trained them as opposed to their ability.

I may be horribly out of date with this of course and happy to be corrected but I can't see academy football being affordable for smaller clubs in areas with big competition.

• Pierre sent off for Shrewsbury at Portsmouth.

• Grant scored for Swindon.

• Eze makes his Premier League debut

• Ofoborh makes his full debut vs Palace in the League Cup tonight.

• ...and scores Bournemouth's 9th(!) penalty in their shootout win.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Ofoborh makes his full debut vs Palace in the League Cup tonight.

Not much chance of getting him back then, damn!!

• Derby close to agreeing terms with Jordon Ibe for a free transfer move.

• @robin said:

@Last_Quarter said:
    Ofoborh makes his full debut vs Palace in the League Cup tonight.

Not much chance of getting him back then, damn!!

I hope we make sure we close him down on the edge of the box when we play The Cherries! :smiley:

• Think I'm clearly going insane - 31 games McGinn played for us according to Wikipedia and I can't remember a single one

• Seem to remember he scored a great goal against Exeter (I think). Earned him the nickname 'Top Bin McGinn'.

• I'm exactly the same. Just don't remember him at all!

@WestLondonWanderer said:
    Think I'm clearly going insane - 31 games McGinn played for us according to Wikipedia and I can't remember a single one

• The name sounded familiar but I too have no memory of him as a Wycombe player. 30 games. Wonder how many of those was as a sub/unused sub?

• Correction, 31!

• I liked McGinn, was quite a classy player.

• I remember him. He showed promise but at the time we had 09, Bloomfield and Murphy (and possibly Gape on loan??) so he was largely a sub I think.

• edited September 2020

Really tidy "nice" player with a good long pass or shot. Signed around same time as O'Nein. Disappeared off the radar quickly only playing the odd minute or non important games, possibly due to injuries, work rate or just not fitting the style. I'm surprised he had that many appearances tbh but always seemed to have people wanting him to be picked.

• Seem to remember height v home sick and wanted back to Scotland. Check out that old footage of the Wycombe players going mental when the fa cup tie at Spurs was announced. Think it is McGinn who just sits there.
    Of course his younger brother is at Villa.

• One of those players who is good when you have the ball but not great when you don’t.

• Was definitely one of the better passers in the squad at that time, but never seemed to be that much of a battler. Maybe that was his downfall.

• A bit in the mould of John Cornforth, a tidy composed passer of the ball, but struggled to get around the pitch. Ainsworth never seemed to have the confidence in McGinn to ever give him an extended run in the team.

• Paul Smyth on for QPR.