Skip to content

JJ in PFA L1 team of the year

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/september/jj-named-in-pfa-team-of-the-year/

For some reason the graphic has him at right-back, with the right-back at left-back. A nice achievement, either way.

Comments

• edited September 2020

Yes, this sort of graphical misrepresentation of the full back positions happens quite a lot and irritates me (possibly more than it should) every time!

• What a superb achievement for a player many thought would be oft caught out this season gone!

• Well deserved, we should have had at least one more in that team.

• Madness that anyone ever thought JJ would "get caught out" in League 1. I hope this shuts up that bloke in the terrace who screams at JJ to get a tackle in every time JJ's hustling a winger into the perfect position to dispossess him.

• edited September 2020

Absolutely deserved, but you can't overlook the importance of upgrading Adam El-Abd for Darius Charles - thus allowing JJ to thrive. Surely the best season of his career.

• Only one (now no longer) Peterborough player in there...writs in the post?

• @drcongo said:
    Madness that anyone ever thought JJ would "get caught out" in League 1. I hope this shuts up that bloke in the terrace who screams at JJ to get a tackle in every time JJ's hustling a winger into the perfect position to dispossess him.

That took me back to 99, when my schoolpal shouted "do something then" to Devine away at Reading, about 5seconds before he lashed that 20 yarder in :)

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Absolutely deserved, but you can't overlook the importance of upgrading Adam El-Abd for Darius Charles - thus allowing JJ to thrive. Surely the best season of his career.

That decision was an absolute masterstroke by Gareth.
    Gave JJ the platform to concentrate on his strengths.

• @drcongo said:
    Madness that anyone ever thought JJ would "get caught out" in League 1. I hope this shuts up that bloke in the terrace who screams at JJ to get a tackle in every time JJ's hustling a winger into the perfect position to dispossess him.

He was getting caught out in L1 to be fair, madness to think back to our first season in L1 where almost everyone was dropped at some point as they tried to mix it up a bit and we got the occasional win amongst some shoeings , notes of patience required this season. He has been revitalised going forward and defensively in addition to the set pieces, better cover helped as will having more than one player who can take a corner so he doesn't have to run forward every time.

• edited September 2020

That 2018-19 season may always fall between the cracks owing to having amazing promotion seasons on either side, but there was some fantastic drama, and a great story arc that would befit a movie in it's own right. I remember seeing the first away game, a 3-0 defeat to Doncaster, and feeling as though we may be out of our depth. Then, despite having to wait several games for our first win, there was that 1-1 draw away to Plymouth where we suddenly looked great, followed by beating Bradford away for our first win. Following that, everything clicked, and we had that sequence where we were coming back to win 3-2 against teams, scoring last minute winners at Accrington, and rising up to 9th, only to hit that absolutely awful spell of late goals conceded that found us fighting relegation. But three wins of the final five secured safety, with the final day 1-0 over Fleetwood securing a respectable 17th and a feel-good finish.

It is crazy to think that a rollercoaster season like that will always be the red-headed stepchild compared to 2017-18 and 2019-20.

• There certainly can't be many clubs that have had a more exciting rollercoaster this last 5-6 years.

• I think this season should definitely be one of acclimatisation before we launch our promotion campaign to the Premier League in 21-22. Don't want to boom and bust.

• I disagree @MindlessDrugHoover next year prem and champions league winners year after that.....