Skip to content

Comments

• Four ‘keepers. We are Big Club.

• The HDR on these signing announcement photos is truly awful.

• @drcongo said:
    The HDR on these signing announcement photos is truly awful.

In simple person terms, what is HDR?

• Feels a bit unnecessary to me but good to have genuine competition for the starting keeper position I guess.

• I wonder if he was the keeper quoted in the Guardian article.

• Assuming he's on much reduced wages, this is good news. Let's hope he knuckles down and we start to see the 'keeper that everyone knows he can be.

• @Glenactico said:
    Feels a bit unnecessary to me but good to have genuine competition for the starting keeper position I guess.

If he can get back anywhere near to the form/condition that got him called up to the England squad he will be the starting keeper. However, the ball is now in his court as you would say.

• We don't need him and considering our low wage budget is waste of a wage for a midfielder upgrade that we need.

• edited September 2020

@chairboyscentral said:

@drcongo said:

Short for High Dynamic Range - it's a photographic technique that involves mixing three separate exposures into a single shot so that you get detail in both the brightest and darkest areas. It's very useful for certain mixed lighting situations where otherwise parts of your photo might be blown out (over exposed) or very dark.

Where it should never ever be used is in taking portraits in broad daylight outdoors, and if you turn it up as high as in these photos you end up with your subjects looking like they've come down with a hideous flesh eating virus.

Edited to add the link

• @trevor said:
    We don't need him and considering our low wage budget is waste of a wage for a midfielder upgrade that we need.

Why didn't you ring Gareth to advise him we didn't need another goalkeeper before Stockdale signed on the dotted line!

• @drcongo said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@drcongo said:

Short for High Dynamic Range - it's a photographic technique that involves mixing three separate exposures into a single shot so that you get detail in both the brightest and darkest areas. It's very useful for certain mixed lighting situations where otherwise parts of your photo might be blown out (over exposed) or very dark.

Where it should never ever be used is in taking portraits in broad daylight outdoors, and if you turn it up as high as in these photos you end up with your subjects looking like they've come down with a hideous flesh eating virus.

Edited to add the link

Ah right, thanks. I did think they'd all been looking a bit peachy.

• I'm not overly sold on Stockdale as much as some others but I'm working on the theory that Gareth and Dobbo know what they are doing far far better than I do.

• @mooneyman said:

@trevor said:
    We don't need him and considering our low wage budget is waste of a wage for a midfielder upgrade that we need.

Why didn't you ring Gareth to advise him we didn't need another goalkeeper before Stockdale signed on the dotted line!

So you think we need him then

• Stockdale seems like a good lad, though I am also a little relieved the pen did not roll under his hand when he was trying to sign the contract!

• @trevor said:

@mooneyman said:

@trevor said:

What any of us think is immaterial, trev, the important thing is Gareth thinks we do

• @Wendoverman My thoughts exactly. I'm quite surprised to be honest.

• So a bit like Father Ted, we've got the number One, plus an old fella and a young lad...

• @trevor said:

@mooneyman said:

@trevor said:

All Championship clubs need a minimum of 2 experienced keepers in their squad. Our young keeper(s) are needed for the "B" team to develop their careers properly. We could have signed a keeper on loan, but their club would probably insist on us playing him.

We do have a bigger wage budget (even though it is small compared to other clubs) that should enable us to have reasonable cover for every position.

• @drcongo said:

Gaz looks like the sort of bloke who sits alone by the fruit machine in a back street boozer, trying to catch your eye so he can chat to you about how his wife took everything.

• @mooneyman said:

@trevor said:

@mooneyman said:

@trevor said:

All Championship clubs need a minimum of 2 experienced keepers in their squad. Our young keeper(s) are needed for the "B" team to develop their careers properly. We could have signed a keeper on loan, but their club would probably insist on us playing him.

We do have a bigger wage budget (even though it is small compared to other clubs) that should enable us to have reasonable cover for every position.

Didn't think we could afford a b team to be honest.

• No reason to believe Stockdale is on big money. He has earned a good wage for a number of years but been unhappy and badly treated by his club. At 35 may now be more interested in enjoying his last year or two than earning a high wage. With Anderson having started games in America, likely that mid season loans ruled out in event of Allsopp injury/loss of form. Understandable arrangement for both parties.

• @Wendoverman said:
    So a bit like Father Ted, we've got the number One, plus an old fella and a young lad...

As long as the goalies know the difference between small players and players who are far away. Anyway, Feck, down with this sort of thing.

• Assuming that the two young ‘uns aren’t (yet) considered Championship quality it feels like an experienced quality keeper is a must on the bench this season.

We are going to need to make the most of every opportunity and scrap for every single point this season.

In the past we could have shrugged our shoulders if our GK had got injured or sent off and simply accept it as 3 or 1 point lost and hoped for a valiant display to salvage something (see Plymouth away) and hoped over the course of a season we’d claw it back.

No way can we approach games like that this season.

Whether Stockdale is that right person at the right tome is another question that I am in no position to judge of guess. I do imagine he is on a relatively low wage probably linked to doing coaching courses or whatever other aspirations he has for life beyond playing football. We have managed these types of players well generally over the years and I think I’d a real asset of GA and co.

Personally I think it’s a great signing (but I’m often wrong)

• @trevor said:

And if Allsopp got injured?
    We'd be down to absolute rookie keepers.

A second keeper is pure insurance.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I'm not overly sold on Stockdale as much as some others but I'm working on the theory that Gareth and Dobbo know what they are doing far far better than I do.

Feels like a solid theory to me.

• @trevor said:

@mooneyman said:

@trevor said:

@mooneyman said:

@trevor said:

Didn't think we could afford a b team to be honest.

Correct, you just don't think!

• Well unsurprisingly I'm happy. Think he'll be an excellent addition to the squad and if he can recapture form/confidence will push Rocky for the number one slot. ?

• Well said Mrs Stockdale.

• To get Stockdale match fit would he be played in B team matches? We've not got anything else apart from league games before the New Year.

Solid signing but we can't afford to have the half prepared Stockdale of his last loan spell. Maybe he's the one to go out on loan? Do the rules allow with a call back?

• Great signing - Obviously a well liked member of our close knit team, will be one of the generals with a wealth of experience for the young keepers and no doubt a future(possibly present) GK coach.