Skip to content

Fantasy premier league 20/21

Evening all,

If anyone else partakes in the fantasy premier league, I created a League for fellow Gasroomers.

Just for fun, no prize for the winner other than bragging rights i'm afraid.

Please find the link to join here: https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/auto-join/ok9xpt

Comments

• I know I’m no fun @BSE but I don’t participate in fantasy leagues and therefore don’t partake of the prizes.

• Sadly, I suspect that, in the same way as most people no longer seem able to say university, participate has also become a problem. At least until the second half of the 20th century partake was rarely if ever used to mean “take part in” but it’s easy to see how linguistic laziness would take over or overtake. Languages are constantly evolving of course and that’s part of the fascination.

• @micra said:
    Sadly, I suspect that, in the same way as most people no longer seem able to say university, participate has also become a problem. At least until the second half of the 20th century partake was rarely if ever used to mean “take part in” but it’s easy to see how linguistic laziness would take over or overtake. Languages are constantly evolving of course and that’s part of the fascination.

Innit.

• @micra I do normally enjoy reading your posts, but in this instance quite frankly i think you're being rude & pretentious. I posted in the football section of a football forum, i have not asked for nor do I want English tuition from you. If you want to argue over the use of words & grammar i suggest you go sign up to a language forum here is one: http://linguistforum.com

• On a more positive note, thanks to the 10 people that have so far signed up to the fantasy league.

• Pretentious, moi? Surely not. But, seriously, I did think at the time that I was being a bit of a prat and I normally keep my pedantry well hidden from the Gasroom (whilst often comparing notes with friends and family who, especially my fellow ancients, have observed the changes in English usage over many decades.

If I have caused offence, I apologise.

• I should have said “these days” after “well hidden”. Innit.

• BSEBSE
    edited September 2020

Fair play Mirca, It takes a certain type of man to apologise. So apology accepted.

I must also apologise. I saw the red mist and went a bit off the deep end myself.

For a bit of context as to why.This is not something i ever intended to share with the gasroom but hey ho. I suffer from Mild learning difficulties. So i do and still do work relatively hard on my English. In an attempt to try & put together semi coherent messages/sentences trying being the word. So i did in the moment get my back up a bit and go a bit overboard myself.

• Just joined the forum and now joined to this fantasy league. Many thanks.

• Is anyone running a Chairboys league for the Sky Super 6 please?

• @AlanCecil said:
    Is anyone running a Chairboys league for the Sky Super 6 please?

Why not? Code DGKJA5 if anyone fancies it