Skip to content

Match day thread: Brentford (League Cup)

Comments

• I was at the game in my new role for the BFP and I thought the free kick that led to Brentford’s goal was harsh as their player rode JJ’s tackle then stumbled and fell. On the red card, I think the ref might have been influenced by the scream from the Brentford player when tackled (it probably wasn’t audible on TV). Looked worse than it was and on another day with another ref could have just been yellow. Excellent performance though and I was impressed with the quality of our subs, anyone of whom could be a first team regular. We will surprise a few people this season. Bring it on!

• The whole of the back five were outstanding today and it was particularly pleasing to see that Rocky Allsop had regained his confidence. One save from Ivan Toney, described by the Sky commentator as ‘comfortable’, looked far from it as it was what @chairboyscentral would describe as instantaneous. Rocky dropped on the ball and held it securely, making it look easy.

The three attacking substitutes (Kashket, Horgan and Onyedinma) were a handful for Brentford’s defenders and it will be exciting to see them against full strength opponents over the next six months.

Midfield seems more of a work in progress and I imagine we will see various personnel changes and permutations over the next few weeks.

Overall, much to be encouraged by and it will be great to get back to the Park.

• Great performances all round. I’ve just watched the game back and I think Freeman had a good first half with creative passes. The high press worked well first half and will unsettle teams (who are probably not used to it in the Championship). Rocky had a very good game. Forwards all looked lively and what a well created and taken goal. Pens are a lottery...another day we win the shoot out.

• Much was made by @Ram_N_Chairboy yesterday of the absence of nine internationals from the Brentford squad today and I don’t doubt that they are (or have been) regular starters but the squad numbers of those who started today suggest that seven or eight of them are expected to be regular participants this season.

• @Chris said:
    Hulk Horgan

That’s his nickname right there. Nailed it. Hulk it is?

• I think Alex Samual will have a very good season

• There was so much to be pleased about with yesterday's performance. I found it very encouraging ahead of what will be the most difficult season in the club's history in terms of the quality of opposition.

Agree with everything people have said about Parker and Samuel, they were tremendous. I'd mention Jack Grimmer as well, he is a terrific player and Jason McCarthy will not have it all his own way wanting to secure that right back spot.

As an aside, was our bench yesterday the strongest we've ever had? Difficult to remember a better one

• On the whole, very very positive about the game. I know Brentford were missing a couple of probable normal starters, but so were we to be fair. Second half looked closer to how I think we will line up regularly this season.
    Today the team most tipped for promotion to the premier League, played the team most tipped to finish bottom and be relegated back to league 1.. We were not out played, we were not thrashed, we were not embarrassed in any way, shape or form. I think it bodes well for the season if we can keep the performances coming.

• Scotty needed to shoot i thought the call for a foul was a bit contrived.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Scotty needed to shoot i thought the call for a foul was a bit contrived.

I was amazed Kashket went for the penalty and not just dink it over the keeper as we kniw he is more than capable of.
    Wycombe's best finisher (tm @chairboyscentral ) took the wrong option and was lucky not to be booked as the keeper wasn't going to foul him.

Great work for the goal though. Many strikers would have shot in his position

• He didn't have time to get it onto his left foot innit.

• I think if we improve our midfield we will stay up in the championship hopefully.

• @trevor said:
    I think if we improve our midfield we will stay up in the championship hopefully.

Trevor?

• @OxfordBlue said:

@trevor said:
    I think if we improve our midfield we will stay up in the championship hopefully.

Trevor?

Yes?

• @trevor said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@trevor said:

Trevor?

Yes?

Has someone hacked your account?

• @OxfordBlue said:

@trevor said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@trevor said:

Trevor?

Yes?

No do you support oxford

• @trevor said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@trevor said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@trevor said:

Trevor?

Yes?

No do you support oxford

No Trevor. It may shock you to learn some people venture outside their town of origin during their lifetime.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@trevor said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@trevor said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@trevor said:

Trevor?

Yes?

No do you support oxford

No Trevor. It may shock you to learn some people venture outside their town of origin during their lifetime.

I should know I live in somerset these days

• @trevor said:

Keep taking those "happy" pills Trevor!

• I have a question of @chairboyscentral . Did yesterday in any way cause you to revise your view that we will need to change our style of play if we are to survive in the Championship? I thought we tried to keep the ball a little bit more but it was a tweak rather than a wholesale change. Furthermore, the high press pretty much worked and the chances and near chances we had in the last 15 suggested we won’t be run off our feet if we continue with it.

• edited September 2020

@OakwoodExile said:
    I have a question of @chairboyscentral . Did yesterday in any way cause you to revise your view that we will need to change our style of play if we are to survive in the Championship? I thought we tried to keep the ball a little bit more but it was a tweak rather than a wholesale change. Furthermore, the high press pretty much worked and the chances and near chances we had in the last 15 suggested we won’t be run off our feet if we continue with it.

it was a tweak rather than a wholesale change - I've only ever said we'd need to tweak it, and it looks like we're trying to do that - if we'd had 11 men all game then I think we'd have had a relatively high amount of possession by our standards.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@OakwoodExile said:
    I have a question of @chairboyscentral . Did yesterday in any way cause you to revise your view that we will need to change our style of play if we are to survive in the Championship? I thought we tried to keep the ball a little bit more but it was a tweak rather than a wholesale change. Furthermore, the high press pretty much worked and the chances and near chances we had in the last 15 suggested we won’t be run off our feet if we continue with it.

it was a tweak rather than a wholesale change - I've only ever said we'd need to tweak it, and it looks like we're trying to do that - if we'd had 11 men all game then I think we'd have had a relatively high amount of possession by our standards.

What was it in the end, about 30-35%?

• @peterparrotface said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@OakwoodExile said:

What was it in the end, about 30-35%?

28, which is oddly slightly less than we had at Peterborough in January despite Phillips getting sent off quite a bit earlier. So maybe we wouldn't have had as much as I thought. Either way, it looked like were at least trying to keep the ball a bit more. Interested to see how we do as we progress.

• To be honest, it's probably going to be more about not having less possession than last season. Maybe best to judge our physical condition in a few months' time, though.

• 28, which is oddly slightly less than we had at Peterborough in January despite Phillips getting sent off quite a bit earlier. So maybe we wouldn't have had as much as I thought. Either way, it looked like were at least trying to keep the ball a bit more. Interested to see how we do as we progress.

Cheers

• The pitch, which is 105m long for football matches, will also play host to the relocated London Irish Rugby Club.

Poor bastards.

• Loadsa money.

• Can someone explain to me what's going on with the seats?

• Designed by Barry Richardson?