Skip to content

Third kit

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I think that's pretty disrespectful. Pete remained more than 4,500 miles away from home, in a different country, during a global pandemic, to dedicate himself to the club. He's absolutely embraced it and watches most games with the fans.

Superbly put. The Couhigs have kept the show on the road over the last 14 months when the wheels would've completely fallen off without them. As far as I can see they thoroughly deserve to celebrate our recent success.

• And I'm sure the Yeovil fans would argue something similar if their attempt at taking them over had succeeded. Also, obviously, Pete and his family now have a financial stake in ensuring the club survive, rather than just doing it for the love of the club. Again, having supported this club for many, many years, having travelled many, many miles, it's grating that the owners nephew makes such a point about being there when no one else can.

Also, I don't believe this point to be disrespectful, and as I said previously, I don't dispute the impact of the family on the club.

• Bit disappointed with the kit if I'm honest

Was hoping for something far more garish and hideous

• For balance, I have travelled thousands of miles to watch WWFC over the years, and have absolutely no problem with Pete Couhig’s attendance at Brentford today.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    For balance, I have travelled thousands of miles to watch WWFC over the years, and have absolutely no problem with Pete Couhig’s attendance at Brentford today.

Me neither. I guess if he didn’t go, someone would be along to claim the Couhigs didn’t care enough.

• And that person might well be @Tom. Very gracious and accommodating of him to say “I don’t mind Pete”!

• I like the kit a lot - it’s not the most imaginative given that the red and white quarters has already been redone once since the “Essandoh” kit.

However I think the sponsor logo looks less obtrusive with this colour scheme than it has elsewhere, the “barcode cross” design gives it a slight England vibe, and I think the general design works better for me than it does on the home shirt.

• I'll be honest I'm not to fussed about the kit either, why do we even need a 3rd kit ?

I'm more concerned that the kit we wore today is now being refer to as the away kit ! We should, and I hope we will be wearing the blue quarters at every opportunity.

• @Tom Thanks for the input.
    I hope you are not asked to contribute in the way that the Couhigs have, in time, commitment and money.
    Drumming is much more fun

• That is definitely not our drummer! The writing style is totally different.

But yes, have to say that is an absolutely baffling attitude from @Tom.
    It sounds like you've totally misunderstood or underestimated Pete C's role.
    I think it's brilliant he's made a sacrifice to be his uncle's figurehead here.

He's embraced it to a level noone could ask for more from.

Do you also have issues with the others in our party being there?

• @davecz said:
    Totally agree with @chairboyscentral . Pete Couhig has been away from his family for months to ensure our club survives during the epidemic. So tor @Tom to say he doesn’t understand what it’s like to support our club , is absolute nonsense. Just think where we’d be without the Couhigs.

I believe that the vast majority of us appreciate what the Couhigs have done for us and they fully deserve to celebrate our success. Doesn't @Tom comprehend that without them our club might not even exist now, or certainly wouldn't be a Championship club. Would he have preferred to have the type of owners like Orient, Blackpool, Bury, Wigan etc had or have?

• @Tom Apologies if you are not the drummer

• From everything I've heard and read about Pete Couhig, he's been very much immersed in English football culture for a long while, just not Wycombe specifically, so I think he knows exactly what most of us are feeling on matchdays etc. Let's not go down the old 'were you at Carlisle away?' route when discussing loyalty; we all show it in whatever way we can. Until the Couhigs prove otherwise, I don't doubt theirs or their right to be on camera or wherever, showing off their colours and being part of the celebrations.

• edited September 2020

@Tom said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Such an odd way to launch the kit and strangely about Pete Couhig rather than the players.

I don't like this style of marketing but it is done. I suppose I am going to have to get used to a different style.

I agree. And I'm going to go against the grain on this one. Whilst it's great to see the players and manager celebrating our recent success, the one thing that really grated was seeing the Couhigs front and centre. Now... I don't begrudge them being there, and their involvement has helped the club no end. However, the bit that grates is that they haven't sat on a coach for 6 hours to see us lose by a goal at Hartlepool, stood in the rain at the Manor Ground. They don't really know what it means to support our club, and yet they've been there to witness the best of it, as they have more money that you or I. I've got no doubt it's an unpopular opinion, and I'll get shouted down, but it doesn't sit right with me

So it would make you happier if no-one was allowed to the stadium for games, rather than the Couhigs?

Because this isn't some binary choice, where either a group of die-hard-Hartlepool-on-a-rainy-Tuesday-night-supporters can go, or the directors. They aren't depriving those people of limited match day tickets.

Only representatives of the club can attend, which they are, because they bought us at our lowest financial ebb, and have turned the club round to our best standing and security ever.

• People running the club who didnt see a goal in the north in the 1980s getting to go to games? It's a disgrace no doubt the EFL have failed again!

• Would Tom prefer PC either sat there looking glum, or didn't even go?

Literally can't win with some people.

Posting something with a "i know I'll get slated" type comment says it all!!

• I think the third kit launch was very 'Couhig'.

Very respectful kit design with a great nod to historic events. We can't under estimate this from new owners. It should be applauded.

The guerrilla marketing campaign to launch though was odd and for me classless. Maybe that is age but that was my thought when I saw it.
    I am enjoying seeing club marketed in different and sometimes unique ways. Lors will be successful but I don't see why it's frowned up to call out something that looks wrong. Last seasons cheerleaders are an example.

I feel bad that I opened the door to @Tom "s extreme view. I don't agree with him. I just don't agree with the Couhig's every time either.

• This is quite an extreme response to Tom's fairly reasonable expression of his opinion. If you go back and actually read his initial post, he quite clearly states that he doesn't have an issue with them being present at games and a part of the celebrations, he just doesn't particularly like them being "front and centre". The point gets lost a bit in the needless reference to historical away days.

I like what I've seen of Pete so far. However, with specific reference to the celebrations on the pitch at Wembley, I actually agree with Tom's point. I think in the immediate aftermath of our greatest ever achievement, it would have been classier to leave the players and management/coaching team to celebrate. I also think it was a slightly tacky way of "unveiling" the new third kit yesterday. Just my opinion, though.

• They weren't sat front and centre of the game yesterday. They were sat in their allocated seats in the stadium.

If Sky Sports choose to direct a camera towards them sat in said seats, therefore putting them 'front and centre' of the shot, there's not much they can do about that is there?

I don't remember Pete taking a front and centre position for the promotion celebrations either. He's visible in a couple of photos, and why not?

• edited September 2020

Messers Beeks & Parry used to get a fair bit of on pitch action back in the day and I doubt they ever lobbed in the money that the Couhig family have. No criticism by the way, if we were ever peeved it was only jealousy!

Bearing in mind Rob has been pretty much stuck in the US since effectively saving us, I think the criticism is a bit churlish.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    They weren't sat front and centre of the game yesterday. They were sat in their allocated seats in the stadium.

If Sky Sports choose to direct a camera towards them sat in said seats, therefore putting them 'front and centre' of the shot, there's not much they can do about that is there?

So the launch of the third kit was entirely dependent on Sky Sports happening to focus on them at some point in the second half? After asking permission from Brentford to break director protocol about wearing football shirts on the boardroom? And asking the two Cherry Red Records owners as part of your limited guest list?

Whilst I don't like what happened you have to admire the planning. To suggest it was a random act is not acknowledging the execution.

• I reckon this is the most the launch of a 3rd kit has ever been discussed

• @eric_plant said:
    I reckon this is the most the launch of a 3rd kit has ever been discussed

Job done ✅

• I can’t wait for the launch of the replica wrestling vest. Be interesting to see how they approach that one.

• Put this together with the guy on Facebook complaining about what GA wears and it's shaping up for another great season.

• @floyd said:
    Put this together with the guy on Facebook complaining about what GA wears and it's shaping up for another great season.

He was just a random Spurs fan who joined the group to tell us he didn't like our managers attire.

• I can understand @Tom wanting to be there, we have experienced so much together over the last year without yet being able to 'be there together'. If it helps I am seeing Pete Couhig as Superfan, in the great tradition of American heroes. Hopefully he won't have a chance to go to Carlisle for a while, but I guess we will see him at Middlesborough next May.

As others have pointed out we did have quite a big and appropriate audience for the first view of the new 3rd kit and presumably some very happy sponsors.

Finally as an idea, would a 'Director for the Day' lottery competition by the club work? I guess it would raise money, and let one of our own be there without needing Couhig or Cherry Record style finances.
    I guess I would promise to wear the 3rd kit if I could go to Blackburn - I like the idea it references the quarters on our 'own' kit. So I look forward to a future Mardi Gras kit in quarter form although a sponsor would need to do something special to stand out.

Talking of advertising and competitions - don't forget the Score and Goalscorer Competition thread.

• @JohnBoy said:

@floyd said:
    Put this together with the guy on Facebook complaining about what GA wears and it's shaping up for another great season.

He was just a random Spurs fan who joined the group to tell us he didn't like our managers attire.

The sad thing is it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

• If you saw PC in the stand but did not hear the commentator pointing out the new third kit does it still count as an official launch?

• I actually get the 'front and centre' thing as a concept. One of the things that bugs me about American sports is how owner-centric they are. Aside from ice hockey, the trophies are presented to the owners rather than the team captains, which always rankles.

That being said...I love seeing RC and PC act like fans. It is actually a relief and a comfort. Yes, I am under no illusions that this is a business proposition at the bottom line, but I also don't think they can be at such 'close quarters' with the club without falling in love with it, and it does seem like they are. Knowing that tough times always come eventually in football, I would rather have owners who are enthusiastic to the point of launching the kit themselves (can you imagine Stan Kroenke doing that?) then act without any passion. Far too many clubs have owners who do not seem like fans of the club, and are unrelatable to the supporter base. Whereas PC acts a lot like how I would be tempted to act if I had the money to own Wycombe Wanderers.

No-one knows where this journey will go with the Couhigs, and how they will act if we hit a rough patch down the line. But I would rather have owners who are massively involved, and are willing to lose their dignity (in a manner of speaking) punching the air and yelling when we score a goal, as opposed to looking on with folded arms and a unconcerned air.