Skip to content

Comments

• Excellent.

• Great stuff @glasshalffull - we really are becoming spoiled for content!

• "Their sports coverage has always been excellent" think we'll agree to disagree there, but you don't want to annoy your new colleagues on the first day. They were excellent back in the mid to late 90s, but wasn't everything :)

Looking forward to seeing us feature a bit more all round this season.

• There's a glaring error in the second paragraph of that article.

• I'm sure that will be a popular appointment across the Gasroom!" :smile:

• ‘He’s one of our own...!’

• Excellent news.

Looks like the BFP might be taking coverage of the club seriously for the first time in years

• @chairboyscentral said:
    There's a glaring error in the second paragraph of that article.

The erroneous apostrophe?

• @AlanCecil said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Yep, an all too common sight on there nowadays!

• @AlanCecil said:

@chairboyscentral said:

The BFP need to appoint @micra as their proof reader!

• Hopefully back to the glory days where you really looked forward to reading the coverage.

• I thought this was going to be about @bluntphil but @glasshalffull will do ;)

• I think my old jostling partner Mr Parry has had another amnesia attack in todays BFP, he writes about the historic 1975 Middlesboro cup game, "Wycombe earned a well deserved draw that day(losing to a late goal in the replay) and i was immediately hooked on the team in the distinctive light and dark blue quarters."
    I think Mr Parry must have had a glass too much of the Loakes Park hospitality sherry that day. Wanderers played in light blue shirts, navy shorts that day, and just as they had for the previous nine seasons !!
    Im off to Hemel Hempstead now, for an afternoon kip !!

• I’ve probably said this before but I’m glad we played in simple light blue shirts dark blue shorts through my formative years. It was a fiddly enough job as it was painting it onto a Subbuteo* team - it would have been impossible if we had played in quarters back then!

*Apologies to those of you who haven’t a clue what I’m on about

• @ChasHarps said:> Im off to Hemel Hempstead now, for an afternoon kip !!

Be careful, it's a covid hotspot!

• @bookertease I found that it was better to buy Coventry than Man City, because my navy blue airfix paint adhered better to the light blue shorts than white.

• @bookertease @LeedsBlue did you ever buy an official WWFC Subutteo team when they became available?

• @Twizz i have the feeling I did but think I’d probably outgrown it by then and it’s probably in mint condition in a box in my attic. I’d guess mid-70s before one was commercially available?

• And on this trip down memory lane (and I’m sure I had this as a subbuteo team too) one of my favourite combinations from that era was white shirts green shorts (Hendon?). Always looked classy

• That was Hendon's away kit, Normal strip was green shirts, white shorts, green socks.

• I’m starting to wonder if you’re @EddieMonsoon in disguise @ChasHarps.

• Thanks @ChasHarps. Your memory is a hundred times better than mine, But it did look good under the lights. I do remember that

• The kit they wore against Newcastle was a classic, Green shirt with two diagonal white stripes. Alan Phillips and Gary Hand in the Hendon team.

• If we're picking up on BFP stuff, the writer said Gape was sent off for a "late" challenge.

While we spent ages debating the merits of the red, whether it was ankle or foot, we can all agree it certainly wasn't late.

• There is a bit of me (whisper it quietly) that would enjoy the old light blue top/dark blue short combo. Maybe an FA Cup tribute 4th strip?

• @perfidious_albion said:
    There is a bit of me (whisper it quietly) that would enjoy the old light blue top/dark blue short combo. Maybe an FA Cup tribute 4th strip?

I wouldn't mind it as a tribute kit. We all see the quarters as the historical kit, but it's not the original to be fair...

• I would love to see the return of the light blue shirts, dark blue shorts and light blue socks. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I think the retention of our colours is primary to the quarters. How many professional clubs around the globe play in light and dark blue ?

• edited September 2020

With you all the way, @ChasHarps. Nothing against the quarters at all, just that part of my upbringing was spent worshipping the light blue shirt - and the relative rarity of the light and dark blue club colours is key. The style, or pattern, is a more transient thing. I completely get the historical significance of the quarters, and the fact that they are synonymous with the Adams Park and Football League era, though.

• 1970/71 kit for me, though todays necessary shirt advertising would spoil the uncluttered simplicity.