Skip to content

Pierre punishment: waste of time and 3 points

Still trying to get my head round GA decision last night? Why leave him out risking loss of 3 points? Why punish supporters, some of which travel a long way on a Tues night, with sub standard starting 11? Surely fine player & deal with it following day one to one. Leaving Pierre out showed up GA in the end as he was forced to chase game and made some baffling positional substitutions.....starting to worry his ego maybe growing, leading to stubbornness and distancing from players..always a dangerous time in a new manager's career.. ..can't stand this mid table talk either seems players starting to believe it!

Comments

• I've no problem with Pierre's punishment, hopefully he'll have learnt a valuable lesson and he/we will be better off for it. And I think we should all cut Ainsworth some slack, yes recent performances have been poor, but we all knew this would happen as soon as we had a few injuries. We were fortunate for much of last season, but less so this season. Hopefully with players returning we can start to pick up points again soon.

• Hopefully GA & team bounce back on Sat....I'll be right behind whatever 11 is on pitch as usual. But Sammy Wood in center....Hayes left wing....No lessons learnt from Stevenage.....when we finally got some width in last with Harriman in last twenty mins....way to narrow....way to obvious...strikers need width and crosses to score.

• it seems to me we set out to stop the opposition with no plan to score ourselves, we haven't got the players for 4-3-3 and he needs to realise this before 4 defeats becomes 6 or 7 and he is worrying for his job because we cannot afford arrogance and this my way or not at all which is how it looks.

• In my opinion Gareth had to take the action he did and make it public,otherwise a whispering campaign would have run for weeks. He made a marker for the players out of strength not weakness and had he not done so the players would have seen it as licence to break any club rule. I'm with him 100% on this one.

• if we loose our next 5 games is gareth under pressure ??

• How precisely do we `loose' our next five games? Just set them free in a big field?

• Agree with Cambblue.Only 4 teams have scored less goals than us season to date so giving better service to the forwards is key.

• Fewer, please! Otherwise@DevonBlue no-one could possibly disagree with your analysis.

• Agree with punishment...GA has been nothing but complimentary about AP since he arrive...and to be honest, if he was going to miss a game I would have rather it was against an 'easy ' team at the bottom of the table. In hindsight, a mistake possibly, but still feel the team subsequent selection was a bit dodgy.

• We didn't lose the game because Pierre was left out. We lost because the formation was wrong and none of the three forwards couldn't hold the ball thus putting unecessary pressure on the overun midfield.

• I agree Pierre should have been punished but not in the way he was . It undoubtedly weakened our defence for the night and meant yet another reshuffle . I think a fine of a weeks wages or some sort of community work would have been better . Publicly shaming him would also have been quite humiliating and may do more harm than good . I am not saying he should not have been punished , just don't think it was the best thing to do just before an important game . Half the team may well have thought it wrong and performed accordingly .

• @bourne70 said:
    I agree Pierre should have been punished but not in the way he was . It undoubtedly weakened our defence for the night and meant yet another reshuffle . I think a fine of a weeks wages or some sort of community work would have been better . Publicly shaming him would also have been quite humiliating and may do more harm than good . I am not saying he should not have been punished , just don't think it was the best thing to do just before an important game . Half the team may well have thought it wrong and performed accordingly .

Agreed!

• Disagree. For a start he was late for the team meeting where I assume Ainsworth will have been talking about the tactics/formation of both his team and the opposition, so in missing that information, he was not really in a position to expect to play. Also this isn't the Premier League and I suspect a week's wages could be quite difficult for a League 2 player to miss out on.

I think it was a strong statement and a correct statement to send out. Hopefully we'll see a fired up Pierre starting the game on Saturday.

• Does anyone know who was fined for forgetting to publicise the venue of our game in France?

• Can we stop saying that GA 'publicly shamed' Pierre? he gave an honest answer to a direct question.

• @LX1 said:
    Does anyone know who was fined for forgetting to publicise the venue of our game in France?

Whoever it was got dropped for the next match.

• Maybe they hadn't been sufficiently Wycombised to know where the game was going to be played.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Disagree. For a start he was late for the team meeting where I assume Ainsworth will have been talking about the tactics/formation of both his team and the opposition, so in missing that information, he was not really in a position to expect to play. Also this isn't the Premier League and I suspect a week's wages could be quite difficult for a League 2 player to miss out on.

I think it was a strong statement and a correct statement to send out. Hopefully we'll see a fired up Pierre starting the game on Saturday.

Sorry, but if he missed the team meeting then that was probably a good reason to play him! Quite clearly those who did attend didn't have a clue what they were supposed to be doing anyway! 4-3-3 is not going to work.

• So your policy would be to automatically play any player who breaches club discipline Frigid! What a ridiculous idea, anarchy would break out in the squad

• Although @FrijidPink's comment was clearly a joke, it would be nice if something broke out in that squad.

• It sounds like a few of the ones he DID play on Tuesday were not up top the job so it would be nice to see a few of the others given a go. Mooneyman...that was so obviously a joke by @FrijidPink...did you really think it was serious?