Skip to content

Daryl Horgan set to sign

Comments

• This would be an exciting signing. He was brilliant against us in the cup for Preston a couple of years back. Scored their third and ran rings around us that day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&feature=onebox&v=adhTT7BLzGQ

• Scored both goals in Hibs win at Hearts...

• Getting a lot more of these early news stories on transfers now we're in the big time

• It's all a bit surreal. Also, can we class these as signings from abroad?

• Would be an excellent signing

• Thought he looked a bit similar to that James McLean chap on first look.

But seems he's 5ft 7, so not at all!

• @Malone said:
    Thought he looked a bit similar to that James McLean chap on first look.

But seems he's 5ft 7, so not at all!

He definitely does in the video thumbnail

• I seem to remember most of the discussion after that game was about what a shambles our makeshift right backs has been. Marcus Bean in the first half and Will De Havilland in the second.

In fairness to both players, neither is a natural full back.

And what neither needed was being absolutely tormented by Horgan who was on fire on PNE’s left wing.

Let’s hope that’s a sign of things to come.

• Going to be a heck of a battle to get a game in those forward positions this season.

We said that last year too!

• An Irish fan on Twitter says he can also play centrally. The more versatility, the better - that's going to be massive this season.

• CM, that is, not as a striker.

• @Vital said:
    Scored both goals in Hibs win at Hearts...

From a game nearly 18 months ago though!

Not the greatest goal scoring record with just 3 last season. Good signing I reckon though considering he'd started all of Hibs games this season until he was left out today plus good Championship experience with Preston.

Presumably will be another 3 year contract too.

• According to Wikipedia he has made six appearances for the ROI senior team. Quite incredible that we’re being linked to players at that sort of level.

• Interesting signing If it happens.. What makes a guy playing top level football and still under contract in Scotland join a team who will be fighting for their lives in the English Championship. It can’t be for the wages if we believe the figures in Neil Harman’s book( even allowing for some increase after promotion). Certainly spice up the competition on the wings . Hopefully a few more will follow him in the next few days. Defensive reinforcements are still needed,perhaps more creative midfielders and especially for @drcongo , someone who has half a chance of being a regular goal scorer. I know it’s a wish list but let’s continue to dream.

• We already have at least two players with half a chance of being a regular goalscorer!

• Hasn’t Samuel scored in all three pre season games so far? That’s pretty regular

• @53cheese said:
    Hasn’t Samuel scored in all three pre season games so far? That’s pretty regular

2 out of 3 I think

• @Noodle_Noggin said:

@53cheese said:
    Hasn’t Samuel scored in all three pre season games so far? That’s pretty regular

2 out of 3 I think

Yep, you’re right. Scotty wouldn’t be happy with my addled recollection.

• @Glenactico said:
    According to Wikipedia he has made six appearances for the ROI senior team. Quite incredible that we’re being linked to players at that sort of level.

Interestingly, Martin O’Neill was the Republic of Ireland manager for all six of Horgan’s caps.

• This would be an interesting one.

19 year old with the below wiki. Played for England U16,17,18 and 19s
    Seems classic B team material, but where would that leave Yates?

Club career
    In 2012, at 11-years old, Anderson moved from Blackpool to Manchester City for a fee of £15,000.[1][2] Anderson played with Manchester City's youth and academy sides until moving to second-tier North American side Charlotte Independence in March 2019.[3]

Anderson and Charlotte Independence mutually agreed to terminate his contract on 29 August 2019.[4]

• @chairboyscentral - I admire your optimism but would be interested who you think the two are because we didn’t have one in League 1. And unless I’m mistaken the Championship is a big step up.

• edited August 2020

@davecz said:
    @chairboyscentral - I admire your optimism but would be interested who you think the two are because we didn’t have one in League 1. And unless I’m mistaken the Championship is a big step up.

Well, Fred averaged a goal every other game last season and I back Gaz to get Uche ticking. Then you've got Wheeler, Kashket (our best finisher) and others who will chip in with a few. You don't need a guaranteed 10+ goal striker to stay in the Championship - Luton's top scorer, James Collins, only got 8 non-penalty goals last season. A 'traditional' striker - not that I believe there is such a thing these days - would be a passenger in our system anyway.

• I can Uche and Fred getting 10+ each....

• @chairboyscentral - Fred played so little last year , his goal scoring record is misleading. Uche previous record isn’t prolific apart from time at Cambridge ( League 2) so it certainly is going to take a lot of Ainsworth magic . Don’t you think it’s worth having options if our system doesn’t work !!!!

• @davecz said:
    @chairboyscentral - Fred played so little last year , his goal scoring record is misleading. Uche previous record isn’t prolific apart from time at Cambridge ( League 2) so it certainly is going to take a lot of Ainsworth magic . Don’t you think it’s worth having options if our system doesn’t work !!!!

I imagine a front two with Kashket or a new forward in a similar mould playing off Uche or Bayo would be the 'plan B', but you can't just completely change your system. Formations and personnel change, but our approach/what we do remains largely the same. Strikers who can 'guarantee' you, say, 15 goals a season will be out of our budget anyway.

• Even before I had read Rob and Pete's views about being a yo-yo club I assumed we were planning for relegation while hoping to stay up. Therefore the chances if us buying anyone in I had heard of were quite slim. If the seven years since Torquay have taught us anything it is to trust in the work of Gareth and dobbo...even if this is the season they get 'found out'!?

• Allsop GK
    Grimmer RB
    Stewart CB
    Charles CB
    Jacobson LB
    McCarthy CDM (Possibly?)
    Gape CM
    Horgan CM (If he signs)
    Wheeler RW
    Ikpeazu ST
    Onyedinma LW

This could actually be quite a good lineup for next season if we played. Not 100% sure if Jason would be a CDM but would love too see it.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@davecz said:
    @chairboyscentral - Fred played so little last year , his goal scoring record is misleading. Uche previous record isn’t prolific apart from time at Cambridge ( League 2) so it certainly is going to take a lot of Ainsworth magic . Don’t you think it’s worth having options if our system doesn’t work !!!!

I imagine a front two with Kashket or a new forward in a similar mould playing off Uche or Bayo would be the 'plan B', but you can't just completely change your system. Formations and personnel change, but our approach/what we do remains largely the same. Strikers who can 'guarantee' you, say, 15 goals a season will be out of our budget anyway.

I've always thought Kashket would thrive upfront in a 4-4-2 alongside a big man. If I recall correctly, that was how he was utilised in that magic spell he had in League Two?

• Plus Fred, Scott K and Bayo have all had spells out for various reasons (Injury etc.) so a couple of extra heads could make a difference....