Skip to content

#signshirley

2»

Comments

• He certainly has it all to prove at this moment.

Another chance at the weekend in the next friendly.

• Rocky had a very good season overall - we did keep six clean sheets in a row at one point, and he had some outstanding moments, such as the goalmouth melee at home to Peterborough, and the world class save against Oxford to keep us level in the final.

He has not always convinced me, but I think GA will see him as having earned the right to start the season. If he is an absolute shambles, maybe we get someone in January. I would be a little surprised if we spent too much money trying to replace him when we have so many other areas which need strengthening, though.

• We can't - and won't - go into our first Championship season with only one first team goalkeeper.

• I agree. I just think it will be Rocky starting.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Problem with getting the best available loanee is the parent club will have a certain expectation that they play. At the moment, I can't see Allsop being dropped as number one.

I think this is spot on. Jamal Blackman has gone to Rotherham presumably as first choice keeper. Rocky has earned the right to be our first choice, especially in the play off final under the greatest pressure. So we will be signing a reliable back up keeper who will play a few games and help in training. Stockdale can play that role.

• Not sure if this would be an option but I think Stockdale on a Player/Coach contract would be a great piece of business. Players seem to respect him massively and with his experience from his career could no doubt add some wisdom to our already strong staffing team.

• @DPR38 said:
    Not sure if this would be an option but I think Stockdale on a Player/Coach contract would be a great piece of business. Players seem to respect him massively and with his experience from his career could no doubt add some wisdom to our already strong staffing team.

He probably needs to go all in on the playing side for now, to show he's still got it!

• I read somewhere Rocky kept 13 clean sheets until play was ended...top was 15. I don't think that tap back would have evaded him for example! :smile: Ingram. Brown. A 'good shot stopper' who 'does not command his area' has been the Wycombe way for a while hasn't it? :smiley:

• I've never been on board with crediting clean sheets to the goalkeeper - it's down to the whole defensive unit. Take our run of six straight clean sheets last winter, for example: Allsop didn't have to make a single save in two of them. There are games like Sunderland where he really did make a match-winning save, but that was a superb collective effort as well!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I read somewhere Rocky kept 13 clean sheets until play was ended...top was 15. I don't think that tap back would have evaded him for example! :smile: Ingram. Brown. A 'good shot stopper' who 'does not command his area' has been the Wycombe way for a while hasn't it? :smiley:

It was pure farce. Worst in career type moment, just about spared that accolade by being in a meaningless game with no crowd.

That ball almost apologetically crept over the line

• I actually quite like the player/coach idea. Unless of course we currently have a goalkeeper coach. (Forgive my ignorance on that score.)

• Yes we have Andy Fairman

• Well that puts the tin lid on it. I dread to think how exercised @DevC would be if we recruited a second goalkeeper coach.
    I’m assuming Andy Fairman’s position is secure.

Rocky/Stocky, let’s call the whole thing off.

• I honestly think Shirley was lined up for the job as number 2/ to fight with Ryan for number 1.... Then "that" game happened. I expect they are having second thoughts, or at least choosing to announce the signing at another time (ie, when he hasn't just had a mare of a game). I don't see why else we would be playing him, even if it is just in friendly games, if he is not in our team? Surely if he was not prospective signing material, we would be giving friendly game time to Yates instead.... You know... A player who actually is a Wycombe player?!!

• @micra said:
    I actually quite like the player/coach idea. Unless of course we currently have a goalkeeper coach. (Forgive my ignorance on that score.)

Who do you think the little guy is who spends hours crossing the ball pre match? And with Rocky and Cam day after day on the training ground? Andy F is a key member of back room staff. If you read ‘Close Quarters‘ it demonstrates what a vital job he does, dedicated going about his business quietly under the radar.
    Oh and he actually got us promoted, it was his analysis of the Oxford keepers reaction to penalties that got JJ to go down the middle with his.

• I feel guilty now @perfidious_albion. My only feeble excuse is that I’ve never really felt the need to know anything about goalkeeping coaches and pre-kickoff I’m usually deeply engrossed in scintillating conversation in the Woodland Lounge! My Gasroom verbal diarrhoea is as nothing compared with my pre-match outpourings (if you’ll pardon the expression).

• Given the season starts in just a few days now and we've only signed two players (I'm not counting Phillips), I do think bringing back Stockdale makes sense. Not just because he's a classy player with plenty of Championship pedigree - yes he makes mistakes, who doesn't - not just because he clearly shares the esprit de corps that Gareth values so highly... But also because we really do need to sign at least three more other players and I would prefer the management team to free up the head space to sort those in the remaining time.

• I certainly would have expected more than three signings this close to our first game, but we're not at the point of signing players just for the sake of it are we?

• edited August 2020

Got two weeks yet, it's all under control. We need more signings and Gaz acknowledged as much on Tuesday. Need another 6/7 in total but would expect at least 3 more before the big kick-off. It's a long process and we don't have the budget or recruitment department of most Championship clubs.

• I wonder if the radio silence around today's game with Villa suggests a high number of trialists involved.

• 5-2 to Villa was the final score according to Villa website. Picture gallery from the match for us to pick out trialists

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Got two weeks yet, it's all under control. We need more signings and Gaz acknowledged as much on Tuesday. Need another 6/7 in total but would expect at least 3 more before the big kick-off. It's a long process and we don't have the budget or recruitment department of most Championship clubs.

Presume you are counting the game in 8 days as the big kick off rather than first league game?

• Has the League Cup ever been less important to us? It'll be a great run out before the league starts, not much more tho'.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Presume you are counting the game in 8 days as the big kick off rather than first league game?

Nah, the league game!

• @floyd said:
    Has the League Cup ever been less important to us? It'll be a great run out before the league starts, not much more tho'.

Was talking to a Doncaster fan (they lost 3-2 to Blackburn in their LC tie today) and both sides looked incredibly rusty apparently. Donny only have 13 senior players as it stands! Sounds like it really was just a runout for them.

• I’m hoping that having played competitive games more recently than most of our opponents is going to help us.

• I'm worried that we have a competitive game in eight days and still don't have a match kit!

• But we haven't? Our play off final was 13th July and final day of the Champ season was 22nd July. Premier League finished 26th July so it's only Coventry and Rotherham who haven't played since our last game.

• I’d forgotten that the Championship played out. Should help us on the opening day at least.