Skip to content

#signshirley

Despite the clanger against WH in the friendly I am still very much in the #signshirley camp as I believe he is an excellent keeper that would challenge Rocky for the number one shirt and that he adds a lot to the squad with his character and experience.

Intrigued to know what everyone else thinks on this though.

Poll not found

Comments

• It depends on wages for me. If he’d command a big wage, I think it would be better spent elsewhere. We have Yates waiting in the wings who will get some game time in the B team to keep him fresh. The focus ought to be on bringing through youth over past it veterans.

• I’m far from convinced. What exactly is the question @Noodle_Noggin that folk are being asked to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to?

• Sorry. I hadn’t spotted the slightly strange #signshirley bit. So, presumably it’s should we sign Shirley?

• I believe he has been a decent ‘keeper.

• Sorry for any confusion. Yes to Sign And No to Not sign.

• I don’t feel qualified to judge.

• I dont think Yates is a viable second keeper for this season. I'd probably prefer us to try and find a young loanee GK who would command a lower wage contribution than Stockdale, but I suspect that may be easier said than done. If we can't, I'd have Stockdale in a heartbeat. Stacks of experience, clearly a quality keeper and a popular member of the squad. I'm personally not worried if he dropped a couple of clangers in a PSF - very much doubt Gareth would be either.

• A player doesn't stay a quality player forever though. Just ask Duberry.

Are these errors a bit of rustiness or has he massively dropped off? Gaz will know.

• Very true. Although at 34 he's still a good age for a GK...

• Remember Yates doesn't qualify as a "professional GK" under the rules and hence we could go with one GK plus Yates on bench bringing in a loanee if Allsopp got injured/banned. Risk of that would be if Allsopp simply lost form/confidence. Believe transfer window doesnt close until some way into season.

• Just get the best loanee available

Each season

• @eric_plant said:
      Just get the best loanee available

Each season

Seconded

• I totally understand why people would think a loanee. However, they usually still command the wage to be covered either fully or partially and if Stocko's demands are reasonable then the financial side of things might be irrelevant.

I also don't think he's past it at 34. Many keepers have gone on a lot longer. His fitness and confidence seemed lacking when he first arrived but I believe the first has been dealt with.

• Problem with getting the best available loanee is the parent club will have a certain expectation that they play. At the moment, I can't see Allsop being dropped as number one.

• @chairboyscentral said:
      Problem with getting the best available loanee is the parent club will have a certain expectation that they play. At the moment, I can't see Allsop being dropped as number one.

That is it for me. Happy to see Stockdale join if he gets in as a number one but he does seem to be losing his powers without playing and would be a risky reserve.

• If we can afford him and given the number of games we will have next term I am quite happy for a Rocky/Stockdale rotating duo, but I'm less worried about Rocky between the sticks than some.

• Rotating you goalkeeper is a big no! Ipswich did that last season and it was a complete disaster (even if this is Lambert we're talking about).

• I'm no Lambert, I am far more scientific. I suggest they arm wrestle before each match to decide who plays @chairboyscentral

Problem with getting the best available loanee is the parent club will have a certain expectation that they play. At the moment, I can't see Allsop being dropped as number one.

This.

If you were a Premier League club would you loan a promising goalkeeper to a club with League One/Two facilities, if he's just going to sit on the bench. We don't even have the Checkatrade this year for them to get a run out.

I know they'd pick up some valuable mental stuff from an Ainsworth/Dobbo dressing room but they want them to get game time.

• I think, for this season at least, if we can strengthen defence and midfield (as well as the 20 goal a year striker of course) Rocky is a decent bet to be Number 1 even if we have doubled our revenue!

• Sorry, but from what I've seen so far (v Blackpool, MK, West Ham), I've not been impressed.

• I reckon we stand a better chance of survival with a new first-choice keeper who has a better command of his area.

• edited August 2020

@OxfordBlue said:

@chairboyscentral said:

This.

If you were a Premier League club would you loan a promising goalkeeper to a club with League One/Two facilities, if he's just going to sit on the bench. We don't even have the Checkatrade this year for them to get a run out.

I know they'd pick up some valuable mental stuff from an Ainsworth/Dobbo dressing room but they want them to get game time.

Of course not.

Do you think we have league 2 facilities out of interest? Or league 1?
      How have Sunderland's premier league facilities gone down recently?

What was that expensive room they had in that doc? Didn't get used!

• @Malone said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@chairboyscentral said:

This.

Of course not.

Do you think we have league 2 facilities out of interest? Or league 1?
      How have Sunderland's premier league facilities gone down recently?

What was that expensive room they had in that doc? Didn't get used!

I spent a day filming inside the WWFC training ground as part of a work project two seasons ago, and all I'll say as a non-expert is that it didn't look Championship to me!

He would be if we got a much better goalkeeper.

• Mind games. Surely we want every team to turn up and think they are in an FA Cup tie with a tinpot lower league club?

• If we were going to sign Stocks surely we would have by now. To be sure GA is working on bringing in a loanee.

• If Stockdale genuinely needs a number of games to be competitive again it would be tricky then having him as a backup. Those that see him in training would have a better idea but he's made errors in all the games he's played since he came back. Couple of decent performances and this would all be forgotten of course.

• I’m not convinced from what I have seen he is better than what we have got. We need a keeper to compete with Allsop. For me he doesn’t.

• Big no to signing Stockdale, been far from the required level whenever played and the wage hed want would be huge. Could do a hell of a lot better, its a shame to have missed out on Blackman :(