Skip to content

F.A. Cup starts on Tuesday 1st September

With the announcement that spectators are now allowed to watch Non-League football from Step 3 downwards there’s a chance to watch some live F.A. Cup action on Tuesday 1st September. The F.A. Cup kicks off on this date with the Extra Preliminary Round. The winners at this stage receive £1,125 & the losers £375.

There are 184 ties scheduled at this stage with more clubs joining in the Preliminary Round on September 12th. Here are some local games you may be interested in taking in. However, do check with the clubs before setting off as some of these will be “ticket only”:

Oxhey Jets v Bishops Cleeve
Clanfield 85 v Long Crendon
Holmer Green v Shrivenham
Roman Glass St George v Flackwell Heath
Risborough Rangers v Longlevens
Leighton Town v Abingdon United
Burnham v Cheltenham Saracens
Dunstable Town v Thame Rangers

The 3 most local games are at Burnham, Holmer Green and Risborough Rangers. Flackwell Heath have to travel to Roman Glass St George who are in fact the oldest club in Bristol (founded in 1872). They play in the Western League Premier Division. Remember, no replays and I’m sure you’ll be doing grass roots football a huge favour by handing over a fiver or whatever to support the greatest cup competition in the world!

Comments

• Some additional games I missed out on my initial post:

Aylesbury Vale Dynamos v Windsor
    Winslow Utd v Newport Pagnell Town **
    (** Ticket only **)
    Easington Sports (Banbury) v Tring Ath

• I take it they are all evening kick-offs, Andy?

• Winslow ticket purchase link. £7.50 General admission, £5.50 60+ and U18.

https://www.tickettailor.com/events/winslowunitedfootballclub/410093

• @micra I think you can probably take that as read but that’s why I stated you should always check with the relevant club before setting off - or preferably the day before.

• 737 clubs will be competing in the 2020-21 F.A. Cup.

• How does that compare with ‘normal’ times?

• Winslow United 2-1 Newport Pagnell Town.

A first ever FA Cup win for Winslow in a very competitive but rather fractious game. The visitors took the lead on 13 minutes, a header from a corner, Winslow equalising 6 minutes later with a header from a free kick. Just before half time, the Newport keeper couldn't hang onto a shot, Winslow striker nips in, rounds the keeper who brings him down. The penalty was converted, right down the middle, which is where the keeper stayed but still couldn't save it.

After the break Town threw the game away with two red cards, one a second yellow for dissent, the other a straight red for a nasty looking, studs up late challenge, which brought on a brief brawl. After that Newport did have a great chance to equalise, rounding the keeper but shooting wide. I lost count of the fouls and cards, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

Winslow are a very hard working, hard pressing team with a lot of spirit. Town, with perhaps a bit more finesse about them, and pace, couldn't really get a rhythm going.

The £1125 for the winners will come in very handy, with Winslow recently having to appeal for donations to pay some bills. They now travel to Risborough Rangers on Saturday 12 September in the Preliminary Round, after their 4-1 at home to Longlevens tonight (att. 180). Very handy having our game at 12:30, I can get over there for that! Even better if Risborough show the game in the clubhouse.

The capacity at Winslow tonight was set at 300, nearly sold out apparently. Everyone was temperature checked at the gate.

• I'm getting mixed up with my early kick-offs, Rotherham not on Sky, but on iFollow perhaps.

• Aylesbury Vale Dynamos 1 Windsor 2

A full-on FA Cup-tie deservedly won by the visitors. Windsor scored early on then doubled their lead with a second-half penalty. AVD staged a late recovery and halved the deficit but despite 9 minutes of stoppage time couldn’t find an equaliser. Around 150 attended.

• Tavistock 2 Bradford 0
    Proper FA Cup football. Rained all night, queues at the turnstiles (well .... turnstile, well ....hole in the fence) and a thoroughly enjoyable open game (as they always seem to be at this level). Proper cup footie, Tavi lead 1-0 at half time, Bradford pushed them back, balls in box, successive corners, goal line clearances, missed chances, red card for bradford (no one knows why) second Tavi goal and then could have been more. £6 well spent.

Next round a week on Saturday - there will be a game near you. Go give it a try.

• Holmer Green won 3-2... didnt go to the match but saw it on the local Facebook page

• Dev encouraging us to get along to a game. What a year this has been

• Was that City or Park Avenue @DevC ?
    That’ll fox the younger Gasroomers.

• It's a lot easier when they are eight minutes away rather than eight hours round trip @eric_plant .

park avenue are national league north these days. Only two below City. This one was Town though (from on Avon near Brizzle). Mangotsfield up next - as all know - no room for confusion there!

Flackwell Heath had a good win in the Colisseum of Roman Glass tonight by the way. I never could get my head round quite where FH is in relation to HW, even when I lived locally.