Skip to content

We did it our way

Just got my copy of the book, it is a brilliant record of the season and a quick flick through bought back many memories. The photographers, writers and team deserve out thanks.

Comments

• Likewise, it is a nice recap of the season with some great photos. Aside from the play off final shots I think the best is probably Wheeler celebrating the winning goal Vs Franchise.

• Mine arrived today but i only managed a quick run through but it looks vey good and well worth the money.

• This publication couldn’t be any better if it had been produced on behalf of a PL club.
    It’s of the highest quality in every sense.

• Very good record of an amazing season and well worth it.

I assume the comment in the foreword about some of the players learning Spanish was an-in joke?

• @bookertease said:

I assume the comment in the foreword about some of the players learning Spanish was an-in joke?

Oh no. Hope its not a typo. Could they have meant to put 'Spinnish'?

• I contacted Waterstones yesterday on behalf of an even more elderly fellow supporter who doesn’t possess a mobile phone to enquire if they had any copies in stock. The fellow in question lives about a 15 minute walk away from the shop and had told me he intended to look for it there.

It seems that copies of the book have been “flying off the table” at Waterstones but a very helpful guy (Ben) undertook to phone the old boy on Monday or Tuesday when the next consignment is due. I asked the old boy if I could borrow his copy but I knew from previous experience that he would say ‘no’ (and he did!) so I ordered a copy from the online bookseller (hive.co.uk) which @arnos_grove grove helpfully drew attention to on Tuesday.

Oh, shucks - in scrolling back to check the online address I discover that I’m on the wrong thread. I was whipping through the latest posts a few hours ago and read @glasshalffull’s post of 1.36 pm saying what a fine publication ‘it’ was, thinking he was referring to Close Quarters.

Apologies.

• @micra , so you're helping the old fella out, and he won't even let you borrow the book down the line sometime!?

• Cantankerous old cumudgeons make the world go round.
    The legendary cowshed at Loakes Park was full of them.

• That is true I’m afraid @Malone. An extraordinary character. Known him for fifty years. Was forever delivering Wanderers related stuff to his flat and never invited in!
    Only thing we have in common is our dedication to the cause - WWFC.

• Just got our copy today...brilliant memories....what a run to Christmas we had!

• Indeed @Forest_Blue and a reminder if we needed one that we deserved to end up where we did! Happy days!

• edited August 2020

@micra said:
    Oh, shucks - in scrolling back to check the online address I discover that I’m on the wrong thread. I was whipping through the latest posts a few hours ago and read @glasshalffull’s post of 1.36 pm saying what a fine publication ‘it’ was, thinking he was referring to Close Quarters.

So what publication are we talking about here? Can't find one called "we did it our way" (apart from something on Forest Green Rovers).

• Ahh.....found it, the official wwfc publication.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Cantankerous old cumudgeons make the world go round.
    The legendary cowshed at Loakes Park was full of them.

All you could smell in there was pipe smoke. And sometimes linament drifting across from the pitch.
    Leads me to think. When was the last time anyone on here came across someone smoking a pipe?

• If I remember correctly, the sadly departed 'Bill the Teacher' used to puff on a pipe ? That's when he wasn't discussing team selection with his pet cuddly toy monkey that used to hand round his neck.
    His school lessons must have been fun !!

• Valley Wanderer
    Where did you find the book? I have just gone to the Club's site and can see all sorts of Play Off memorabilia but no reference to a book. Can you put a link in or point me at the right page?

• @Thicketblue, look under 'Shop News' on the site and scroll down to 'Limited edition book ready to pre-order'.

• @ValleyWanderer
    Many thanks - Located and ordered