Skip to content

Desperate for some live sport?

If you have had enough of sitting at home & watching sport on TV with no crowds & dubbed crowd-noise there is actually real live sport going on locally. The Home Counties Premier Cricket League is up & running & you can go along and watch. Clubs have their bars open and it’s lovely to experience a return to something resembling normality. Last Saturday I saw a thoroughly entertaining match at Great Brickhill (near Milton Keynes) as the Home side lost narrowly by 2 wickets to Tring Park.

The standard is extremely good. Matches start at midday & are of 40 overs duration. This weekend (August 15th) the scheduled matches are:

Datchet v Burnham
Finchampstead v Slough
Great Brickhill v Amersham
Harefield v Aston Rowant
High Wycombe v Banbury **
Horspath v Chesham
Oxford v Wargrave
Oxford Downs v Thame
Tring Park v Buckingham
Wokingham v Henley

**Ladies Day from 2pm. Pimms a-plenty

Comments

• Pity the weather intervened!

• Thanks for this. Great Brickhill is a two mile walk through the woods from me. Might drag the dog up there one Saturday.

• The Home Counties Premier League matches for next Saturday are as follows (midday start):

Amersham v High Wycombe
    Aston Rowant v Datchet
    Banbury v Great Brickhill
    Buckingham Town v Oxford
    Burnham v Wokingham
    Chesham v Harefield
    Henley v Finchampstead
    Slough v Horspath
    Thame Town v Tring Park
    Wargrave v Oxford Downs

The weather forecast is much better for Saturday so hopefully some live cricket should be on.

• Just another aside. Did you know that Wycombe Wanderers used to have a cricket team? Or at least so my family mythology insists.

• Brilliant game of cricket today as Thame Town beat Tring Park by 5 runs in a game that went right to the last over. Played in a very competitive but good-spirited manner at a beautiful ground next to the church. A great afternoon’s entertainment!