Skip to content

EFL agree streaming deal with Sky Sports

Comments

• It says the matches will be available to stream from the club's website, might that still be through the iFollow system?

• Says it'll be a Sky stream. I didn't have any faith in iFollow coping with the extra load, so this should be good. I hope I've not spoken too soon...?

• Has to be good news.

Just that slight niggle that as season ticket holders we're paying £22 a game, so a £10 pass would leave us a little out of pocket if there are too many games we can't get in.
    But fingers crossed it's the Sep games maximum?

• We were supposed to be getting better coverage on iPlayer anyway with extra cameras as we went up, hope we still get friendly Comms from @bluntphil and co.

• @Malone they agreed at refunds for closed matches if people wanted them

• Is there restrictions on oversees fans tuning in?

• I may be wrong but I read this as Sky agreeing to relax the exclusivity rights of their contract with the EFL. So it just means clubs can stream all games via ifollow, not that Sky themselves will offer the service.

• @Glenactico said:
    I may be wrong but I read this as Sky agreeing to relax the exclusivity rights of their contract with the EFL. So it just means clubs can stream all games via ifollow, not that Sky themselves will offer the service.

Have just reread it and I think you're right. Better hope the EFL have checked their servers can handle the massive increase I traffic then.

• Let’s hope so.

My best guess is that it means all games will be available somewhere but that if a game is live on Sky it won’t be on ifollow. I believe last season in the championship all midweek games were on Sky and not on ifollow. It would be useful to know if this will be the case again as it will surely influence people’s decision as to whether to buy a subscription.

I’d also be interested to know if the club are considering opening bars at the ground for away games and streaming them at AP.

• I read it the same way as @Glenactico yeah

• Yes a key question is if sky televise midweek games on their red button does that mean you can't actually pick them up on either a now tv subscription or through i follow.

That'd be a huge blow if not, with 13 or so midweekers.

• I'm thinking about ditching my sky subscription @Malone and getting nowtv instead. I was researching the question you pose above re. the midweek red button games. All I could find online was that in the early part of last season the red button games weren't available on nowtv - I don't know though if that's changed for this season though.

• I read it as saying (until 50% capacity allowed) that all games live on sky will also be allowed to be streamed by clubs online.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    I'm thinking about ditching my sky subscription @Malone and getting nowtv instead. I was researching the question you pose above re. the midweek red button games. All I could find online was that in the early part of last season the red button games weren't available on nowtv - I don't know though if that's changed for this season though.

I wouldn't expect them on now tv but i hope they're still on ifollow.
    The sky being happy to lose exclusivity part surely means the games will be on ifollow.

I've heard now tv do a season pass for sky sports. £200 last year in a 10month season. This one will be 9, so surely they can't put it up.

Tesco vouchers count treble so with a stash of that, the package will be exceptional value.

Might have to wait until quite late on, into September for them to launch the season pass though. But chatting to one of their online advisors they say it is coming

• edited August 2020

As others, I read that statement as confirming that clubs will be able to stream their matches - presumably by ifollow, but I seem to remember not every club is signed up - with Sky waiving any compensation for loss of exclusivity.
    As such I take that to mean matches chosen for Sky coverage will still be available via ifollow.

I had assumed that the upgrade to the ifollow platform is being done this weekend as Matt confirmed earlier in the week that ifollow was offline until next Tuesday(?).

• Apologies as it may have all been explained but as an ST holder...what is the deal until we can go in again? Do i recall talk of a free pass for ifollow or am i dreaming?

• @Wendoverman Yeah, free to stream if you're a ST holder

• @Wendoverman said:
    Apologies as it may have all been explained but as an ST holder...what is the deal until we can go in again? Do i recall talk of a free pass for ifollow or am i dreaming?

You do. But as the price of each ticket is way more than the ifollow pass would have been - we really hope there's the absolute minimum of games where we'll need it!

Superb facility though - if this was just 2-3 years ago we'd be facing zero games at all.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @Wendoverman Yeah, free to stream if you're a ST holder

Huzzah!

• @CyprusSwan said:
    Is there restrictions on oversees fans tuning in?

Would assume same as last season we can watch if we have the subscription.

• Im not bothered about the cost so much @Malone just about getting access to the sizzling entertainment !

• @JohnBoy said:

@CyprusSwan said:

Been wondering for a while, are you the same guy who used to have JohnBoy on his shirt a good few years ago now?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Im not bothered about the cost so much @Malone just about getting access to the sizzling entertainment !

Agreed that is the big picture.

But imagine we're not back in by the end of 2020, and you've wellied £250 or so for watching a bunch of £10 streams :)

Really hope there's some sort of away game snifty soon. Even if it's a mere crumb load of tickets and a real "I went to Carlisle", or "I still have the green kit" scuffle for them

• I also have to factor in not paying a fiver to park on the industrial estate and not having to replace two or three tyres with screws and bolts in them a season!??

• Just park a bit further out for free like ole Malone.

Though embarrassingly, over 1mile away was getting silly at times last year.

• If anyone cam suggest any safe streets where I can safely park mrs w's pride and joy and not bring the ire of angry residents down on my cap...

• @Wendoverman said:
    If anyone cam suggest any safe streets where I can safely park mrs w's pride and joy and not bring the ire of angry residents down on my cap...

I could...but potentially further than most reasonable fans want to park!!

• Talking of the free streaming pass to ST holders. It really doesn't add up for me as I have purchased 3 season tickets at a cost of £1107. I didn't claim my four missed home games, (When I had two seats), neither did I claim my cash back for the extra ticket I purchased for the Oxford game. Now though it has sadly reached a point where I can no longer afford to be so generous as I will effectively be on 60% of my former income when I return to work in September. A £10 fee to watch The game for the 3 of us, but I feel a bit of a tight wad, but needs must I'm afraid.

• Tyres with screws and bolts in them are hard to come by @Wendoverman. Just ask Anthony Stewart.

• @Malone said:

@JohnBoy said:

@CyprusSwan said:

Been wondering for a while, are you the same guy who used to have JohnBoy on his shirt a good few years ago now?

Yeah, but I try not to mention it!