Skip to content

Close Quarters - Neil Harman

Comments

• @eric_plant said:
    Bit uncomfortable with how he described Trust board members as a "lot of snouts in a rapidly emptying trough"

A nod towards heading off any criticism from marlowchair and nicecarrots ?

• In fairness, it was in the context of decision making, but I feel he chose a very clumsy metaphor and it ended up coming across very badly (in my opinion)

As I said, the image he conjured up was one of people fighting each other to get what they could out of the club, rather than a lot of people being involved in decision making, a process which is obviously simplified with club owners and a small board

It's a shame because I don't think it's what he intended to convey

• Indeed...too many cooks would perhaps have been the better cliche. I must admit I did think it jarred with the actual atmosphere he was trying to convey of people doing their best in a difficult situation.

• be warned - a prominent Wycombe landmark is described as "Marlow's Hill" at one point. Oh the ignominy of it.

that said, I still think everyone should buy it regardless.

• @PBo thanks for the spoiler which is what your allegedly non spoiler comment is.

• I never knew that revealing typos counted as spoilers. Only in the magical world of the Gasroom.

• Not sure how anyone can say the book didn't elucidate on the El-Abd situation. It had a whole part with him explaining what went down!

• @JohnBoy said:
    Not sure how anyone can say the book didn't elucidate on the El-Abd situation. It had a whole part with him explaining what went down!

Summarise it for us?

• Was promised a new contract half way through 2018/19 season, but said he left it until the end of the season as he knew there was financial difficulties. Got to the end of the season and GA said no. Felt he was being edged out. Final straw came when Phillips got the nod ahead of him a few times this season and he realised he was 4th choice.

• Ah apologies - I clearly haven’t reached that bit yet. I assumed if it hadn’t been covered at the point in the story where he actually left the club it wouldn’t be covered again afterwards!

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Ah apologies - I clearly haven’t reached that bit yet. I assumed if it hadn’t been covered at the point in the story where he actually left the club it wouldn’t be covered again afterwards!

Gotcha. I think it's when we play Stevenage in the EFL Trophy that it comes up again. Sorry, I assumed everyone was like me and couldn't put it down for 2 days until I got to the end!

• That's odd. Didn't he start the season in the team then Charles came in.

I thought he then pretty much soon after before any ousting to 4th choice?

• He referenced the AFC Wimbledon game where Stewart was down getting medical attention and GA called Phillips to get the nod ahead of him.

• @JohnBoy said:
    He referenced the AFC Wimbledon game where Stewart was down getting medical attention and GA called Phillips to get the nod ahead of him.

A fall out of sorts made sense, as you don't start the season as captain for a team, and then get bombed out of the club a couple of games in otherwise.

• Think he was still annoyed that he was promised a new contract season before last, held off as he knew the finances were an issue, then when he brought it up at the end of the season, was told no.

• @PBo said:
    I never knew that revealing typos counted as spoilers. Only in the magical world of the Gasroom.

I posted incorrectly - I was referring to your earlier post.

• Yes that doesn't sound the best, but even the nicest managers have to be ruthless at some points.

• @PBo said:
    I never knew that revealing typos counted as spoilers. Only in the magical world of the Gasroom.

Got to agree. Can’t wait until we progress to European competitions where two thirds of discussions on here about matches to far flung Eastern European destinations will be about semantic considerations of the local language

• 1/3rd of the way through it and can't put it down, a brilliant read.

• As well as Neil’s excellent book we have the club’s own publication ‘We did it our way’ and having just seen a copy I can thoroughly recommend it. The photos are superb and it’s a real high quality print job, a wonderful memento of a season we’ll never forget.

• Mine is on the way apparently

• Nice to be reminded of the Southend AP game as well. Trailing 1-3 at half-time. That was the game where I first thought we would have a good season. Previous years it would have been curtains.

• Looking forward to reading both books really soon.

• We Dit It Our Way is arriving tomorrow i can't wait!

• So far full of great insights...Am I the only one who reads page 173, and thinks 'seriously' are some supporters off their rocker... ...did the exchange get caught on video for public shaming (tar and feathering) when we are allowed back in the ground?

• @blue67 said:
    So far full of great insights...Am I the only one who reads page 173, and thinks 'seriously' are some supporters off their rocker... ...did the exchange get caught on video for public shaming (tar and feathering) when we are allowed back in the ground?

You can't leave it at that - what happened?!

• At end of Ipswich game at AP as Gareth is handshaking a Wycombe fan apparently shouts 'Fuck you Ainsworth!' at him. It was not me as leg it at final whistle and I would have been getting in my car at the end of the industrial estate.

• To clarify, is he shaking hands with the guy who shouts the abuse, or a separate one?

Didn't Oily Sailor coin the term "Wycombe fans are vermin"

While slightly harsh on some of us, for some it's kind!

• Rocky's comments in the next chapter are very insightful on abuse too in general BTW ...and Malone..I was trying not to spoil the read when you get to it (which I know you will :) ) ... but it did make my blood boil. It rather comes out of the blue (no pun) in the narrative and I am sure for Ainsworth, after what was generally a great New Years Day at Adams Park.

• Re Adam El-A. Fascinating how delusional players can be about their value, role, position etc. I guess a self protection mechanism in a short and vulnerable career. When an ageing players’ ‘legs go’ it can happen in an incredibly short time, and Adams had gone, probably between being offered a new contract and subsequent refused one (or so he claims). He had the turning circle of a tanker and no pace to compensate towards the end, the fact that he subsequently got nowhere near a struggling lower league side suggests he had been found out. I wish him well in coaching and whatever else he turns to. Another hard but fair decision by Gaffer and I’m sure there will be more where that came from.