Skip to content

Giles Philips signs permanently

edited August 2020 in Football

Former loanee Philips signs 1 year deal with the Blues

https://wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/august/giles-returns-on-permanent-deal/

Comments

• Very good news.

• Makes a lot of sense. Knows the set up, has bonded with the team and looked promising for a young lad. Will surely get minutes for the B team too.

• Good opportunity to gain experience and confidence in the B team and be ready to step up when needed.

• Unexpected but makes sense. Only a one-year deal and he won't be on much, you wouldn't have thought, so it's low risk in a financial sense. B team should be good for him. Adds depth but can't imagine he'll be the go-to guy for CB cover at first.

I suppose you've got to consider he's not even played 1,000 professional minutes (excluding EFL Trophy) and almost half of those were either covering at full-back or in a back 3.

• I agree it makes sense however its hardly breaking tranafer news ...its just a way of wetting our appetite , he is a good player with potential but not for the here and now. we have made 1 signing so far and lost our loanees so we are down on numbers with our 1st game 10 days or so away

• One of the tight knit team. Looked a bit off the pace to me when he played, but Gaz must know best. I must admit, of all the bit part players who got a game last season, Mascoll looked the most promising to me but I know that bus has left the station.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    I agree it makes sense however its hardly breaking tranafer news ...its just a way of wetting our appetite , he is a good player with potential but not for the here and now. we have made 1 signing so far and lost our loanees so we are down on numbers with our 1st game 10 days or so away

Do you not expect Gareth and Dobbo to be ready for kick-off @Wanderers82 ?

• @Wanderers82 said:
    I agree it makes sense however its hardly breaking tranafer news ...its just a way of wetting our appetite , he is a good player with potential but not for the here and now. we have made 1 signing so far and lost our loanees so we are down on numbers with our 1st game 10 days or so away

In Gaz we trust!

• Bit unexpected, but he obviously has potential. Not ready for Championship football just yet, but a useful addition for the B team. Hopefully he'll push on and earn himself another contract at the end of the season.

• I actually think most of our eye catching business will be done late September/early October, particularly with regards the loan signings.

• If Gaz thinks there's a player in there - am very happy to go with his judgement over my own.

However, I doubt even the most relentlessly positive poster like @floyd could suggest he looked good last year.
    We didn't dare give him an outing for the last few months.

However, as per line 1!

• The World Wide Wycombe Wanderers Phenomenon needs an American in the squad.

• All those shirt sales.

• @Wanderers82 said:

16 days away! Had me worried/excited at 10 days!

• Pleased with that. Giles clearly has something about him, but definitely a good squad option and hopefully he'll develop nicely between the first team and b team. Good signing!

• Yup, he's cheap and hopefully improving and we've invested time and effort in him that hopefully will come good for us rather than someone else, wonder if we'll see Mascoll back aswell.
    You'd think one more experienced CB at least also on way hopefully.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Yup, he's cheap and hopefully improving and we've invested time and effort in him that hopefully will come good for us rather than someone else, wonder if we'll see Mascoll back aswell.

Mascoll was our player though, whereas Phillips was on loan.
    So it'd be pretty baffling to release him then sign him back.

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Yup, he's cheap and hopefully improving and we've invested time and effort in him that hopefully will come good for us rather than someone else, wonder if we'll see Mascoll back aswell.

Mascoll was our player though, whereas Phillips was on loan.
    So it'd be pretty baffling to release him then sign him back.

True, it might suggest the replacements you had in mind weren't available. As someone said above we'll pick up some more players later - after the richer clubs have had their picks or potentially have spares they can't flog at asking price

• @mooneyman said:
    The World Wide Wycombe Wanderers Phenomenon needs an American in the squad.

I believe we need a player from China and 1 from India, that usually boosts the merchandise sales.

• I think that’s a decent bit of business. If he’d come through our youth team and that had been his first season at first team level I think people would generally have said that he’d done well overall and looked a potential prospect.

Sometimes expectations are raised slightly because players are on loan from bigger clubs.

He did ok and will only get better with experience.

• edited August 2020

@EwanHoosaami said:

@mooneyman said:
    The World Wide Wycombe Wanderers Phenomenon needs an American in the squad.

I believe we need a player from China and 1 from India, that usually boosts the merchandise sales.

Honestly, if we did get a Chinese player, it would only take 100,000 fans from that vast country to sign up for iFollow, to generate ten million pounds a year in revenue. It is hard to see us being so cynical, though.

• South Korean players also generate a lot of interest...perhaps Son has a brother who would like to play in the Championship.

• @Malone never been described as ‘relentlessly positive,’ on the gasroom before! Mind you, this is the greatest period in our history and I’m determined to enjoy it!

• What position would everyone want us to fill next? I’d be buzzing if we could get a winger in who has an eye for goal

• We do have Fred.

• edited August 2020

@micra said:
    We do have Fred.

And Wheeler, who ought to get more opportunity to contribute on the goal front now we've got Ikpeazu as the target for those initial long balls. None of our forwards shot less often than Wheeler last season - and he still scored four. Quite excited to see what he could do with more freedom to make runs into the box - albeit it at a higher level.

• I think Phillips's reputation suffers a bit down to recency bias in that his last 2 games were the disastrous performance at sunderland where he was played out of position at RB and the farcical early red card at Peterborough. 2 tough games where we'd have pleased to come away with any points from.

The 1st half of the season he performed perfectly adequately as CB cover and I'm sure he'll do the same again this year if required. Hopefully no more than 5-10 games though!

• I think the next position we need to get sorted is still centre back.

They’ll be a lot of midweek games this season given that it’s going to be about six weeks shorter than normal.

Darius can’t really play Sat-Tue-Sat and both he and Tools are a bit injury prone. Therefore, we’re definitely going to need a third first team centre half.

• Tools played every game last season didn't he?