Skip to content

Bizarre transfer rumors thread

Comments

• The sense of reality is that we are in the Championship and if I know Ainsworth and Dobbo we will fight for every single point we can. That is what we do.

• As I think we all want the same thing I embrace the downthumbers @micra in fact, sometimes I even join in. :smile:

• @DevC said:
    Football supporters @eric_plant tend to fall into two camps..

And then there are those who fall into a third camp who have a reasonable and rational view about our chances in the antechamber of pre-season but then immediately descend into totally irrational (albeit psychologically traceable) as soon as the door of entry to the first match swings open

• Are Surman and Francis likely to be out of our price range?

• @The_Gravelman said:
    Are Surman and Francis likely to be out of our price range?

Depends simply upon if they get any better offers, and if they want to play on!

As if they don't their current wage is 0!

• Welcome aboard @The_Gravelman but I’ve not been keeping up (as usual) and am unaware of Surman and Francis.

• Pete has us on strings but I think it’s likely we will see the yellow banner again within the next few days announcing Shirley.

• @Gary said:

Pete has us on strings but I think it’s likely we will see the yellow banner again within the next few days announcing Shirley.

Of course I could be reading too much into that (as others on Twitter may be too).

• Charlie Elphick ??

• Random rumour of the day - Neven Subotić has left Union Berlin to seek a new challenge after helping them to an improbable mid-table finish in the Bundesliga. Who knows if keeping us up in the Championship would be enough of a challenge...

• edited August 2020

Hearing rumours coming out of Bristol ... Just found this link....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0y0wixkvMeI

• It feels embarrassing watching that at my age, goodness knows how most of the gasroom must feel!

• Certainly not suitable for octogenarians!
    Probably just as well but I’ve rarely been able to decipher the words of popular “songs” and the utterances of the Bravehearts left me cold, I’m afraid. Not sure what relevance the video has to the rumour mill but no doubt someone will enlighten me!

• QPR sign a striker from Livingstone for a 7 figure fee. Pushes Smyth down the pecking order.

• Do we really want Smyth ? Just think we are in a position to get a lot better quality of player than what Smyth showed last season

• edited August 2020

Depends entirely on how highly Gareth rates him.

I barely saw much in him, but he was injured for most of the season.

It clearly depends on what quality we can bring in.

For the people talking about 8-10 signings, yes we do have until October, but the first game is 2 1/2 weeks away, so maybe it'll be a lot fewer than expected.

• I think Smyth would be desperate to prove himself if he came back and could be a great player if he can avoid injury.

• Gareth didn't think Smyth was worth bringing on in the play offs though @Wendoverman.

Similar to Aarons, I think Smyth is somewhat overated. Whilst he has pace he is too lightweight and gets outmuscled to easily. His goalscoring record for us and Accrington at League one level is pretty poor, so I don't see him being an immediate success in the Championship.

I would much rather we tried to get Randell Williams as I feel he could cope with the physicality of the Championship better.

• You could be right @mooneyman

• @mooneyman said:
    Gareth didn't think Smyth was worth bringing on in the play offs though @Wendoverman.

Similar to Aarons, I think Smyth is somewhat overated. Whilst he has pace he is too lightweight and gets outmuscled to easily. His goalscoring record for us and Accrington at League one level is pretty poor, so I don't see him being an immediate success in the Championship.

I would much rather we tried to get Randell Williams as I feel he could cope with the physicality of the Championship better.

Was with you until the last sentence.

Smyth and Randall both scored 3 for their teams in 18/19 in league 1.
    Randall's from 23 games, Smyth from 16

Both teams very similar table positions (2 points different)

Randall only scored 5 last year from 46 appearances, in a superb season, so it's a stretch to expect him to be the immediate success you say Smyth wouldn't be.

Of course rate of improvement comes differently to different players, but surely Smyth (a year younger too) has the higher ceiling.

• I probably shouldn't have argued the respective goalscoring aspect of the players @Malone . I agree neither are prolific and I dont see any real sign that their return would significantly improve. However, Samuel only has 6 goals in 44 appearances for us.

I just feel that Smyth is a bit of a one trick pony, admittedly with good pace and trickery, but not really suited to our current style of play. Williams on the other hand seems to have a more rounded game and in the play offs was at times the playmaker for Exeter. He is also probably better player defensively.

• Fair arguments. Goals alone don't define things - if ever a team has shown that it's our gang!

I also feel a bit awkward singing Smyth's praises, as I barely saw anything in him, outside of a nice lad, good pedigree, and a bit of pace. Injury did wreck his season, but I fear like with Aarons his style didn't particularly fit us.

• Smith and Aarons hardly set the world alight with goal scoring. My thoughts are to find someone who has been a half decent goal scorer. I know it’s difficult but it’s something we sorely miss within the squad.

• Id rather have James Henry.... him and Dickie would be great signings

• edited August 2020

@bigred87 said:
    Id rather have James Henry.... him and Dickie would be great signings

Met a girl back in the day who quoted Henry as someone she'd "got to know".
    For that reason alone I'd prefer not to see him here :)

Dickie will surely be going for a bigger fee and wages than we can offer.

• I am really hoping we get a decent goalscoring loanee from a PL club. Someone not ready for the top flight, but who just needs a bit of development.

• Do we think we will get another central striker?

Playing 1 central striker, and having brought a 3 year deal guy in, with Samuel and Bayo there as well, I actually wonder if we will or not. Even Morgan and Kashket too.

Although last year we piled the attackers in. Who can forget those glorious musings on picking the best eleven

• Morgan?

• @bigred87 said:
    Morgan?

Blooming heck that should be Parker.

Why am I even thinking about Morgan? Must be tired!