Skip to content

League Cup Round One draw

We're away to Brentford, which I assume makes us the first visitors to their new ground?

Comments

• Literally the most difficult tie we could get based on last season's final positions.

• International call-ups might mean it gets brought forward to next weekend

• Looking forward to it...

• Hopefully we can "s*******" our way through

• Real shame we can't be there. I imagine the first game would have had a good chance of being sell out, and we could have taken a big following for such a local game at a brand new stadium. I'm sure it would have been quite a celebratory atmosphere.

• @Glenactico said:
    Literally the most difficult tie we could get based on last season's final positions.

I guess Norwich technically would have been more difficult? Hopefully it can be as good a tie as last time we played them!

• edited August 2020

Are we going to have a way of watching this game?

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Glenactico said:
    Literally the most difficult tie we could get based on last season's final positions.

I guess Norwich technically would have been more difficult? Hopefully it can be as good a tie as last time we played them!

Fair point. I stand corrected

• @therabbittest said:
    Are we going to have a way of watching this game?

iPlayer hopefully, if it isn't chosen by sky

• @Glenactico said:
    Real shame we can't be there. I imagine the first game would have had a good chance of being sell out, and we could have taken a big following for such a local game at a brand new stadium. I'm sure it would have been quite a celebratory atmosphere.

2.2 miles from my house. Gutted I can't be there.

• Let’s hope it’s a repeat of our Huddersfield party-poopers

• On a side note, will this be the beginning of the end for printed programmes (I still treasure the Huddersfield commemorative programme, which is what reminded me)

Obviously there will be no programmes printed for those games with no fans to buy them and I can easily see it being easier just to carry on not printing them once (if!!!) fans do start coming back (I think we debated it a bit on here pre-Covid

Feels inevitable but I, for one, will miss them

• I'd be surprised if we stopped ours - would probably even print them for BCD games.

• Getting the programme used to be essential for me.
    Madly I actuallly went and bought some from the first few seasons in the league that I hadn't even gone to either.

But you eventually reach that quandry - what do I do with these 100s and 100s of programmes. Surely barely anyone ever reads them back?

• @Malone said:
    Surely barely anyone ever reads them back?

*slowly raises hand*

• edited August 2020

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

*slowly raises hand*

You're a bit too into all this aren't you. :sweat_smile:

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

*slowly raises hand*

You're a bit too into all this aren't you. :sweat_smile:

I don't 'get' a lot of football traditions, but I'm a sucker for a programme and will be sad when they're gone.

• Slight thread highjack but I have a box of old programmes, mainly from the O’Neill years, that need a new home. Do you want them @chairboyscentral?

One of them Alan Smith signed ‘good luck at colledge Lloyd’.

• @Lloyd2084 That's a kind offer, but I daren't take any more! Haven't got loads, but it's getting that way...

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Slight thread highjack but I have a box of old programmes, mainly from the O’Neill years, that need a new home. Do you want them @chairboyscentral?

One of them Alan Smith signed ‘good luck at colledge Lloyd’.

Spelt like that? Brilliant. Or something.

• Programmes do tend to be a bit similar these days (and easiest to file).

Back in or non-league days they came in all shapes and sizes (from Hitchin’s ‘fold in 3’ style to Leatherhead’s A4 ‘paper’ style.

I rarely venture into the loft where most of them are stored but when I do they inevitably bring back memories of the person I was back then and of Dylan Evans skilfully gliding past 3 defenders and the goalkeeper before shooting side from 3 feet out (although to be fair that did happen every week do the memories do get confused)

• Well, there will still (hopefully) continue to be The Wanderer. Always worth a read!

• Hear hear to that @Shev.
    Hope your Harman soon arrives.

• I'm with you @bookertease as doing a Huddersfield to brentford came to mind.....I usually ask any Huddersfield fans I meet if they went to the opening game at their new ground..... ? Just asking like.

• I’m really pleased with the draw, as unlike normal circumstances I think most teams will play their strongest lineup, which means we will get a great barometer of how we can compete with top opposition in our league

• @username123 said:
    I’m really pleased with the draw, as unlike normal circumstances I think most teams will play their strongest lineup, which means we will get a great barometer of how we can compete with top opposition in our league

Good point, a game or two like this could really help us prepare.

• @username123 said:
    I’m really pleased with the draw, as unlike normal circumstances I think most teams will play their strongest lineup, which means we will get a great barometer of how we can compete with top opposition in our league

Without meaning to burst bubble, family member is brentford fan. Told me that they have 6/7 first teamers on International duty. Right back, centre back, 2 centre midfielders, 2 forwards all away. Says they will play string of fringe players/b team players.

Favours us getting through and get confidence for first game!! But in terms of a real test to see where we are truly at, highly unlikely against a bunch of 19/20 year olds.

Amazed they didn’t ask to move it but guess they have bigger priorities than league cup

• This could be like the situation we encountered once or twice last season when anything up to half a dozen players at particular clubs (Ipswich comes to mind, for example) were “internationals” but it transpired that most had merely played a game or two at youth level for a particular country. Not only that, it also transpired (I think) that they were more often than not fringe/development squad members.

With the size of Brentford’s squad, I don’t think they will be unduly weakened. Hope not. We don’t want them to have to make excuses if we beat them!

Wonder if @SmiroludyBlue will experience any trace of divided allegiance?

• Blimey. Wish I’d never gone on that rapid reading course. Just reread @user1996’s post and he states unequivocally that their internationals are first-teamers.

• I mean > @micra said:

Blimey. Wish I’d never gone on that rapid reading course. Just reread @user1996’s post and he states unequivocally that their internationals are first-teamers.

Again due to family I follow brentford closely. If want to look them up be my guest. Dalsgaard first choice right back, (starts for Denmark) Norgaard starter in midfield (play for Denmark), dasilva starter in midfield just been selected for England u21, Pontus jansson main centre back (regularly plays for Sweden), mbeumo who was part of famous bmw (France u21), back up forward (been selected for turkey u21). That alongside benrahma and watkins who most likely won’t play (watkins may) that is most of their starters in play off final. Most likely it will be fringe players who didn’t play towards end of last season.

If you go on their forum, they are scratching around about who to play. They’ve never had the biggest of squads due to reliance on bringing through B team players which is admirable.

Comparing Ipswich to Brentford is pointless not only divisions apart, but worlds apart (brentford had a bid accepted for Toney for 10m and want 50+ for watkins and benrahma).

As fans we have to get used to champ clubs having internationals. Derby who are a mid table side at best have Wayne bloody Rooney.