Skip to content

Tallest ever centre forward at WWFC

At 6ft 3 1/2" will Ipeazu be the tallest ever centre forward in a Wanderers shirt ?
Others I can think of that were tall, Micky Nuttall,Rowan Liburd,Gozie,Howard Kettlebrough,Andy Hunt,Rowan Dodds but cant think of any this tall.

Comments

• There's that half inch @micra

• Andy Rammell was so good in the air I thought he was that sort of height, but a much more humble 6ft 1 in reality?

• I’ll bow to Chas’s superior knowledge on this one, but I do know that we’ve signed another player with impeccable character. I hear that he once drove over 7 hours from Scotland to help out at a charity for homeless people in London. We have a squad of first class human beings.

• Akinde is fairly tall?

• I think the answer, rather sadly, might be Simon Patterson who played a handful of games in 2003 on loan from Watford.

Patterson was a gangly 6ft 5inches or possibly even bigger.

Unfortunately he was killed in a car crash a couple of year later aged just 24 having left the professional game.

• Was @ChasHarps your source @Malone?

• Richard harris?

• The guy from Swindon?

• @micra said:
    Was @ChasHarps your source @Malone?

It's out there on the interweb oldest son.

• Fola onibuje was tall. Whether he could be called a footballer another question....

• @DevC said:
    Fola onibuje was tall. Whether he could be called a footballer another question....

The Swindon guy

• Luke Oliver is taller...didn’t his best mate Peter Taylor play him up top a few times if my memory serves me correctly??

• If Wiki is right (it might not be) Fola managed the surely unique record for a “striker” of going eight CLUBS without a goal....

• @Gary said:
    Luke Oliver is taller...didn’t his best mate Peter Taylor play him up top a few times if my memory serves me correctly??

Not for a whole game surely.

Oliver and Duberry together brings back some bad memories.

• I had a few years away (taylor years)..... how bad was oliver?

• There was an even taller black player who briefly arrived on the scene around 10-12 years ago. He was introduced to us in the Woodland (which has a high ceiling). A guy on our table - long since deceased - asked him, to our embarrassment, whether he’d been signed to change the light bulbs.
    If I could remember his name (I think it began with Ip....) I think he only stayed for a few months but I reckon he may have been the tallest.

• Terry Evans would sometimes end games playing up front if that counts

• Got it. He was Fola Onibuje - 6’5”.

• Rowan Liburd must have been 6ft 5 or 6?

• The most goals he scored (by quite a margin) was 9 for Cambridge United in 2006 - one of the.19 clubs he has played for, including Swindon. He’s currently with Cheshunt.

• @Malone said:

@Gary said:
    Luke Oliver is taller...didn’t his best mate Peter Taylor play him up top a few times if my memory serves me correctly??

Whilst my comment was slightly tongue in cheek, I think he did play a few games up top for Bradford, with actual out and out strikers sat on the bench. Don’t think he played too many minutes up front for us, but yes they are some bad memories!

• @peterparrotface said:
    Rowan Liburd must have been 6ft 5 or 6?

6’6” according to Wikipedia.

• @Gary said:

@Malone said:

@Gary said:

Whilst my comment was slightly tongue in cheek, I think he did play a few games up top for Bradford, with actual out and out strikers sat on the bench. Don’t think he played too many minutes up front for us, but yes they are some bad memories!

To think Oliver wasn't actually the weak part of that combo with Duberry either.

• Remember a youth player Oli Taylor being quite tall, and it was quite the sight watching him paired with Junior Morias briefly in a match.

• @micra said:

@peterparrotface said:
    Rowan Liburd must have been 6ft 5 or 6?

6’6” according to Wikipedia.

He’s the tallest I can think of

• @Double_H said:
    Remember a youth player Oli Taylor being quite tall, and it was quite the sight watching him paired with Junior Morias briefly in a match.

Dagenham away, Oli Taylor was truly awful.

• Who was the club barman who played in goal though not for us, I think. Nearer 7’ but probably never played up front!

• @micra somebody Mooney?

• Jason, I think

• Bas Savage?