Skip to content

First new signing

Uche Ikpeazu striker from Hearts having medical at Wycombe

Comments

• Not confirmed though...yet

• If it happens, we will then have two of the top 5 ranked players on FIFA for strength. Not bad if we're going to be keeping the ball in the corner for the last 10 minutes of every game next season.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    If it happens, we will then have two of the top 5 ranked players on FIFA for strength. Not bad if we're going to be keeping the ball in the corner for the last 10 minutes of every game next season.

is that what you want to see every game negative tactics ?

• @trevor said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    If it happens, we will then have two of the top 5 ranked players on FIFA for strength. Not bad if we're going to be keeping the ball in the corner for the last 10 minutes of every game next season.

I believe it's something called "tongue in cheek"

• And if it means we gain precious points, I for one will be delighted to see ‘negative’ tactics. Some people just don’t get it, do they?

• Be nice. It’s @trevor. He (or she) doesn’t get a lot...

• I always thought the @trevor account was where @glasshalfempty got his most negative stuff out of his system.

• @trevor said:

Yes. To match your posts.

• I rather envy @trevor.

Personally, I fully believe that Wycombe Wanderers are the greatest football team in the history of the world.

Unfortunately as I grew older a small rational part of my brain keeps producing statistical and various other evidence to undermine that blind faith.

In Trevorworld we are that indisputably great team who can attract the best players and play football like Barcelona

• Maybe not the best time to play football like Barcelona, based on tonight's display!

• @bookertease said:
    I rather envy @trevor.

Personally, I fully believe that Wycombe Wanderers are the greatest football team in the history of the world.

Unfortunately as I grew older a small rational part of my brain keeps producing statistical and various other evidence to undermine that blind faith.

In Trevorworld we are that indisputably great team who can attract the best players and play football like Barcelona

no i would be happy with football like under john gorman when people praised our play instead of everyone criticizing us .

• Why do you worry about what other fans say? You only get criticism when you’re successful. Also, although John Gorman’s teams were a delight to watch, they never actually won anything (and John is a personal friend so that’s not meant as a criticism).

• It doesn't matter if a single non-Wycombe fan likes to watch us or not. All that matters is that we love watching us! And if you don't love watching the drama this club brings on a regular basis as a Wycombe fan, I fear for your pulse!

• Uche would be a great fit for us.

Hearts fans are hurting after being relegated - this guy is a serious handful and will more than play his part for us if he signs

• @Shev said:
    It doesn't matter if a single non-Wycombe fan likes to watch us or not. All that matters is that we love watching us! And if you don't love watching the drama this club brings on a regular basis as a Wycombe fan, I fear for your pulse!

well you cant tell me time wasting for 10 minutes for every game is something you really want to see some people have said they would it isn't sporting or how football should be .

• It was a jocular throwaway line @trevor.
    Don’t lose any sleep over it. Time for bye byes.
    Good night.

• edited August 2020

QPR, Wigan, Bristol City and Derby were looking at him last year - Cardiff, Celtic and Rangers too apparently.

• edited August 2020

@trevor said:

@Shev said:
    It doesn't matter if a single non-Wycombe fan likes to watch us or not. All that matters is that we love watching us! And if you don't love watching the drama this club brings on a regular basis as a Wycombe fan, I fear for your pulse!

well you cant tell me time wasting for 10 minutes for every game is something you really want to see some people have said they would it isn't sporting or how football should be .

I can't imagine a Wycombe fan not finding us entertaining! I also have not seen any other teams who rush around when they are ahead in a game, as opposed to milking the clock.

• @trevor said:

@Shev said:

If you'd rather watch a team with a high passing accuracy tapping it around the back 4 instead then there's plenty of smaller teams in League One you could follow, like Oxford or Peterborough.

• @trevor said:

@bookertease said:
    I rather envy @trevor.

no i would be happy with football like under john gorman when people praised our play instead of everyone criticizing us .

Actually I do have to agree with you on this point. That first half of that season with the long unbeaten run at the start (and then the record-breaking losing streak later on) was wonderful to watch. And I remember sitting in the car in traffic on the way out from Grimsby listening to the local radio call in getting a warm glow from the locals’ comments of our style of football.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t get the same (but different) glow when I hear or read fans moaning about our ‘shithousery’ (I do like that word).

I couldn’t be prouder of my team for what we’ve achieved and it doesn’t matter to me how we’ve done it on the pitch.

To use a cricket analogy, lots of people love the entertainment value of 20-20 cricket with boundaries flowing and wickets falling but in my view this is bettered by watching a tense session where the ball is spinning (for example) and the batsmen are using all their skill to solidly block for a dot ball, patiently waiting for the occasional bad ball which they can dispatch for the boundary/winning goal.

Relax, settle down and try and enjoy.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Why do you worry about what other fans say?

Someone get Alanis Morrisette on the phone

• I’ve got vague memories of him being a bit of handful when he played against us for Cambridge a few seasons back.

• edited August 2020

@Shev said:
    Maybe not the best time to play football like Barcelona, based on tonight's display!

Not sure it’s one or the other really.

• edited August 2020

@Brownie said:

@trevor said:

@Shev said:

If you'd rather watch a team with a high passing accuracy tapping it around the back 4 instead then there's plenty of smaller teams in League One you could follow, like Oxford or Peterborough.

Can anyone seriously say they would rather be in Rochdales' shoes than ours right now?

• If anyone thinks we can go head-to-head against Championship teams playing a patient passing game, they are very much mistaken. We will play to our strengths and ignore the inevitable (biased) criticism from opposition fans and that is absolutely the right approach. I long to hear Championship managers trotting out the old cliche ‘They’re a difficult team to play against’.

• @glasshalffull said:
    If anyone thinks we can go head-to-head against Championship teams playing a patient passing game, they are very much mistaken. We will play to our strengths and ignore the inevitable (biased) criticism from opposition fans and that is absolutely the right approach. I long to hear Championship managers trotting out the old cliche ‘They’re a difficult team to play against’.

Why would anyone expect a patient passing game? I think the more interesting question is whether Wycombe will succeed allowing sides with superior technical quality than last year such a huge share of possession.

It’s worked before so not saying it won’t but it will be fascinating to watch

• edited August 2020

That's why getting hold of a couple of technical CMs is so important, need to give ourselves the option to play through the midfield, if only occasionally. The amount of ball-chasing we do worked fine in League One 'cause only a very small number of sides kept and moved the ball well enough - in addition to having the end product - to overrun us. Gareth isn't going to change his philosophy - because it is just that, a philosophy - but it will need tweaks and I expect him to make them.

The flip side of that is that the press becomes more important, but we'll absolutely shatter ourselves if we continue exactly the same scrapping midfield approach.

• Gape and Thompson can play a bit though can't they?

It's not like say (with all due respect) Stuey Lewis days. Now he was an absolute terrier, arguably to a level beyond either of them, but very little ball playing ability.