Skip to content

The teams that we will be playing next season

Comments

• Last season it was the same for the 'C's' in League Two. Crewe ruined it by getting promoted...

• So there are 4 teams in the Championship that we’ve not played in a league game before. Leaving 20 teams that must have been in tier 3 or 4 in the last 20 years or so, which I suppose could seem surprisingly high.

• @Doob said:
    So there are 4 teams in the Championship that we’ve not played in a league game before. Leaving 20 teams that must have been in tier 3 or 4 in the last 20 years or so, which I suppose could seem surprisingly high.

Bearing in mind the league is like a who's who of ex top flight teams, combining your last point, it really does show the turnover of teams versus division.

• Thank God we have promotion/relegation in this country, the American system is whack.

Thinking about my time supporting wwfc; the ups of promotion, downs of relegation, cup runs and the Great Escape. Fabled exploits from Essandoh to Akinfenwa, Mr Wycombe, St. Martin, Gaz the Great and too many others to mention. Ownership changes and off field issues and now financial stability, business nous and a chance to compete in the Championship with an established management duo and a squad of winners.

This is our time. Believe. Make a commitment to remain positive this season no matter what and not give in to trolling but to recognise and ignore or call it out.

We are Wycombe Wanderers and we're in the Championship! Championship...

COYB ?

• Here here to that Nors. We also have a secret weapon in the background of Andrew Howard. That mans expertise & negotiating skills are not to be underestimated and were crucial during our ups a few years ago.

• This is the kind of division we're in now, bloody hell.

• @chairboyscentral if you thought the 'big teams' in L1 were angry when they dropped points against us...just imagine...

• Pete Couhig interviewed on the proper main BBC news just now about the club's success - as part of a feature on how businesses might cope and recover from recession. It's on iPlayer here (around the 16.19pm mark). https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews

• edited August 2020

@chairboyscentral said:
    This is the kind of division we're in now, bloody hell.

Probably need it to pay their fine for breaching FFP! Sorry for blocking up your "machine" @micra!!

• Looks like the loan is secured against Pride Park - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53751251

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    Looks like the loan is secured against Pride Park - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53751251

Who'd do a thing like that? Madness

• Don't you have to own the ground to secure a loan against it?

• Only a technicality I'm sure.

• They have got a long lease on the ground and that has value so can be mortaged.

• Any suggestions of how they might pay back that loan?

• @mooneyman said:
    They have got a long lease on the ground and that has value so can be mortaged.

Who else would lease that stadium? Seems like the tail wagging the dog to a simple man like me!

• MSD Capital is a posh name for Michael Dell (the guy who founded Dell Computers) private assets.
    Effectively he has loaned a large sum of money to the club taking ultimate control of the stadium. Makes it harder for any rival bidder to gazump him if he wishes to buy the club. Expect Dell to own at least a substantial share of Derby by Christmas.

• @DevC said:
    MSD Capital is a posh name for Michael Dell (the guy who founded Dell Computers) private assets.
    Effectively he has loaned a large sum of money to the club taking ultimate control of the stadium. Makes it harder for any rival bidder to gazump him if he wishes to buy the club. Expect Dell to own at least a substantial share of Derby by Christmas.

Is this the same guy who was going to put money into Sunderland? On the way to the game at AP last season a couple of Sunderland fans seemed very confident that Dell were about to pump a load of cash into the Mackems

• Ah Michael Dell

"Back in 1997, Dell famously said that if he were put in charge of Apple, "I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."
    Was worth about $500m then, worth $1.9tn now

• Dell. The Amstrad of the United States.

• Yes @StrongestTeam . He has made $27 billion dollars from scratch. Less than the vast majority of us surely. Plainly a business idiot

• Fixtures out next Friday (21st)

• @DevC said:
    Yes @StrongestTeam . He has made $27 billion dollars from scratch. Less than the vast majority of us surely. Plainly a business idiot

Well if he wants to get rid of it I'm sure Derby will help him.

• @DevC said:
    Yes @StrongestTeam . He has made $27 billion dollars from scratch. Less than the vast majority of us surely. Plainly a business idiot

Yes...what can go wrong with a rich man lending you money? It's not like he'll get the arsehole, walk away and demand it all back at some point.

• "its not like he'll get the arsehole" is a new phrase to me.....

I am not saying Derby taking out a loan is a good or bad thing. That is up to them. I very much doubt it will ever be paid back though. Owners loans rarely are and i expect him to be an owner soon.

• @DevC said:
    "its not like he'll get the arsehole" is a new phrase to me.....

I am not saying Derby taking out a loan is a good or bad thing. That is up to them. I very much doubt it will ever be paid back though. Owners loans rarely are and i expect him to be an owner soon.

He isn't the owner.

• edited August 2020

Getting the arsehole is quite a common phrase among the impoverished non-tech billionaire circles I have moved in through the years.

• Yep, used that phrase many a time, particularly with my rather temperamental daughter.

• So the League cup Round 1-4 is packed into Sept whilst there are no spectators. I assume this is a condensed schedule compared to a normal season, although I don't actually know when rnds 2, 3 & 4 of the League cup would normally be played. Anyone?

I suppose if any games are to be ‘sacrificed’ during the behind closed doors period in Sept I’d rather it be the League Cup. So I’m pleased with the approach to front loading the first mth of the season with those lesser cup fixtures, rather than having Tues night league fixtures played in Sept.

I really hope the second half of the season is packed. As far as possible I’d like to see Sat-Tues almost every week to maximise the games in 2021 when spectators are more likely to be admitted.