Skip to content

Salary Cap - Leagues 1 & 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53696424

How are such a 'huge' club as Sunderland going to cope!!

I can see quite a few clubs paying fines this season

Comments

• edited August 2020

The below looks to be the saving grace for the likes of Sunderland on existing deals.

Otherwise, they're thought to have players on huge money for league 1, so how could they even hope to get their whole squad to 50k a week all in?!

Their statement added: "Any contract entered into on or prior to the vote will be capped at an agreed divisional average until that contract expires.

"Moving forwards, clubs that are relegated will be permitted to cap all contracts at the divisional average prior to the club's relegation until those contracts expire."

• Once crowds are allowed back in, the likes of Sunderland and Pompey will have more income than they can spend on wages. Surely this will just distort the market and these two (and some others) will get round the regulations by paying out massive signing on fees. They will also have the spare cash to pay high transfer fees.

In my opinion the wages a club can pay should be based on a percentage of income. Obviously in the unlikely event of us being relegated the new rules would favour us.

• Guess that means only including a portion of the wage in the cap rather than renegotiating the contract.
    Thought Will Grigg was on most of the limit himself.

• Even with the 'existing deal clause' you can't imagine there's much left in the pot for some of the clubs in either league for the up-coming season.

I don't have an issue really if those clubs want to pay 'massive' signing-on fees. Clubs will always find a way round these things.
    If you capped that then the next thing would be image rights in league 2 which is just total bllcks

• Think you will find image rights and agent fees are included in the cap

Fromm BBC Sport -

Clubs in League One and League Two have voted in favour of introducing a salary cap, taking effect immediately.

Limits have been set at £2.5m and £1.5m for the respective divisions.

Wages, bonuses, taxes and image rights, plus agents' and other relevant fees, will be included within the cap but bonuses gained from promotion or progression in cups will be exempt.

• I would expect to see something similar announced for the Championship in the next couple of weeks with a cap somewhere between £8m & £20m

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    I would expect to see something similar announced for the Championship in the next couple of weeks with a cap somewhere between £8m & £20m

Thanks for that Erroll. I had wondered what you thought. Will Wycombe be fined for not reaching the minimum?

In all seriousness though shouldn't Sunderland be allowed to spend more than maybe Peterborough purely because they have a much bigger average crowd. I'm not sure how a blanket figure is fair.

• I think the EFL has to do something to protect not only its brand but football clubs from themselves, the current situation is the ideal opportunity to force through systemic changes to the sustainability rules as well as giving serious consideration to stuff like protected asset status to grounds, training facilities etc.

• The only way I can judge this is to apply the Darragh MacAnthony test.

On a scale of 1-10 how much will the League One Salary cap piss MacAnthony off?

The lower the score the poorer the idea. The higher the score the more value there is in it.

• Then it is surely a blindingly good Spinal Tap 11 idea

• My thinking exactly

• He'll have to call it the 'Discount Revenge Tour' now...

• Why is this being posted on a Championship club forum ? Surely this kind of thing is only of interest to fans of lower league clubs.

• PFA already making noises, could be a battle if clubs that want to pay aren't able to. Daragh and the other Massive clubs that find themselves only in L1 due to the authorities will fall in behind.

Something needs to happen but I'm not sure how. Overall caps are the only thing that will keep wage inflation down. Simple maths, integrity and long term survival prospects don't seem to matter for most.

Alongside an overall cap I'd love to see much stronger stuff around clubs showing where the money is coming from and owner liability being tied in a bit more. If you want to offer a player £50k a week for five years be my guest but prove you have it, either by higher proportion of money being upfront via signing on fees, or via posting money in schemes or paying higher insurance.

• @Stewie63 said:
    Why is this being posted on a Championship club forum ? Surely this kind of thing is only of interest to fans of lower league clubs.

Some of us retain an interest in former opponents who we've left behind. Slough, Enfield, Dulwich Hamlet, Sunderland, Peterborough...

• It will effect us if we loan some of our fringe players to the likes of Peterborough to gain experience. With the salary cap in place, lower league clubs may only be able to contribute part of our players wage to avoid exceeding their cap!

• Is it OK for a man to wear a shower cap? Just asking for a friend

• If I read it correctly there's nothing to stop Sunderland, Peterborough and those that wish including a massive promotion bonus to compensate for the lower guaranteed wage.
    As promotion's a given for those clubs that's surely a winning formula for player and club alike.
    Actually I'd say it would give their players an incentive to achieve something!!

• Interesting to see what happens with clubs relegated from Champ to L1. I took the part about "divisional average" to refer to relegation from L1 to L2. Surely a relegated Champ club can't be expected to absolutely slash their wage bill all in one go?

• I saw someone on the fb page summarise it by saying if someone has a 30k a week 3 year deal, they will simply count as the divisional average until the contract ends.

So 30k could count as say 1.5k a week.

This sounds reasonable logic as you can't suddenly expect clubs to massively slash their bill with no notice. And you can't always shift your Rodwell types who might suddenly be 90% of the new cap alone.

• That makes more sense. For a second I thought it meant the divisional average of the division the team had been relegated from - before realising that would have been just a bit silly.

• These things will be interesting to police.

It invites paying players via second accounts, bonuses and even more dodgy brown envelope jobs.

Having said that they couldn't even clamp down on at least one Prem giant who people suspect of all manner of shenanigans, so will they even be that interested?

• Clubs will end up appointing a clever and devious person to find loopholes in the new rules and ways of bending them.

• @Malone said:
    These things will be interesting to police.

It invites paying players via second accounts, bonuses and even more dodgy brown envelope jobs.

Having said that they couldn't even clamp down on at least one Prem giant who people suspect of all manner of shenanigans, so will they even be that interested?

I believe that George Graham & Harry Redknapp have set up a consultancy business in readiness?

• Player wages are going to get a whole lot more complicated.

• Good explanation here:

The average Championship weekly wage is almost £13,000 higher than the average in League One ?

• Relegated teams have already had a big advantage. And it didn't give Sunderland that big a leg up these last two years.

• To be honest, it may be crude and there may be exceptions but in the current climate football finances needed to change and clubs need to move towards sustainability. It is noticeable that other than the Couhigs very few owners have talked about sustainability as a virtue in and of itself.

• "Big" clubs rarely find themselves in L1 by bad luck. They are usually a shambles

• It is pleasing that the football authorities are prepared to take concrete action in an effort to promote sustainability. But I’ll reserve judgement on the salary cap.

If the governing body in my industry imposed a wage cap tomorrow I’d support legal action against it. I suspect footballers will do the same and I don’t blame them.

Many clubs certainly spend way beyond their means, in some cases threatening the sustainability and stability of the league. But I’m not convinced a wage cap like this is the best way to get things under control.