Skip to content

Comments

• I’m interesting to see how it works out. Given how the smallness of our squad led to better morale as most people had a decent shot at playing. Sure Ainsworth and Dobbo will get it right though. Nice step forward.

• The decision to release Mascoll is a bit odd given this news, and to a lesser extent JGS

• This could be the best news we've had in the last few years, big call as that is. We clearly won't and shouldn't chase other teams budgets this season so If we can get this right whilst we have some extra cash not only could it be a money spinner for the future but it can give us cover and let some rough diamonds have time to be polished. Have to have upmost faith in Gaz and Dobbo to get the right kids, some as academy budgets are squeezed ,and look after them. Could help us keep them as well.

• Excellent...if we manage to secure some decent first team players, stay in the Championship and establish a development programme it goes some way towards assuring me about the owners commitment and motives at least...and for the future health of the team.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    I’m interesting to see how it works out. Given how the smallness of our squad led to better morale as most people had a decent shot at playing. Sure Ainsworth and Dobbo will get it right though. Nice step forward.

My guess is the B Team will be players from the age of 18-21. Highly likely that the B Team will be around 8 players between these ages with 5-7 players from the 1st team playing in games with them. Giving us a squad of around 30 players(22 1st Team and 8 "B" Team) plus loans.

This would allow around 15-17 senior pros to play regularly in 1st team games. Then the other 5-7 senior pros and 8 B teamers getting friendly games. Would also allow both squads to train together and play matches against each other with rotation from the bench.

• edited August 2020

Brilliant news and fantastic to see that we're approaching the future in this fashion. Brentford B have shown this to be a savvy model, and hopefully we can replicate their successes (albeit on a smaller, less international scale) by getting players into the first team squad, developing players and being able to once again utilise player sales as a more reliable revenue stream. Smart play from the Couhigs, big fan of this news!

Great article here on the successes experienced by the Brentford B team; https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46864784

• @Tom said:
    The decision to release Mascoll is a bit odd given this news, and to a lesser extent JGS

Have to agree there...I thought Mascoll (I don't think I ever saw JGS play!) looked a decent prospect but perhaps Gaz and Dobbo thought they could get better cover for JJ. Hope he gets a good club in L1 anyway.

• @Tom said:
    The decision to release Mascoll is a bit odd given this news, and to a lesser extent JGS

Both now having reached 23 years old, I suspect the club are looking for younger players to develop. Gareth has probably decided that realistically they are unlikely to improve to Championship standard, so I don't think it is odd at all.

• edited August 2020

So this makes us - I think - only the third club in English football to have a B Team. Brentford launched theirs in 2016, Huddersfield last month.

• So a top 3 finish in the B league is assured.

Do reserve teams not exist anymore?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    So this makes us - I think - only the third club in English football to have a B Team. Brentford launched theirs in 2016, Huddersfield last month.

Risky post, but are we high enough to put a B team into the Checkatrade now!

• @Malone I think we'd have to be pretty high to willingly enter the tinpot trophy.

• The B Team could at least schedule friendlies against lower league clubs like Sunderland and Peterborough, though?

• Wonder how soon we will have a full young squad or wether they start with a few and play alongside those returning from injury and out of favour.

• @Shev said:
    The B Team could at least schedule friendlies against lower league clubs like Sunderland and Peterborough, though?

There must be some reserve leagues or U23 leagues knocking about?
    Ideally that allow a couple of overage players so returning to fitness first teamers could come back?

Although if you start talking games and leagues, you'd need at least 15-16 kids in there. Which is a lot of initial recruitment.

• Really looking forward to this, could help us keep first team players fit and could help us attract some good youth players!

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    The B Team could at least schedule friendlies against lower league clubs like Sunderland and Peterborough, though?

There must be some reserve leagues or U23 leagues knocking about?
    Ideally that allow a couple of overage players so returning to fitness first teamers could come back?

Although if you start talking games and leagues, you'd need at least 15-16 kids in there. Which is a lot of initial recruitment.

I agree @Malone - I only posted that for the satisfaction of calling Sunderland and Peterborough "lower league clubs", and candidates for our kids to play...

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @Malone I think we'd have to be pretty high to willingly enter the tinpot trophy.

Can you imagine the shithouse splendour of seeing "enjoy Wycombe B away" trending on Twitter. Especially if it was Oxford or Peterborough we were up against.

• @Shev said:

Or a 'local derby' against Oxford?

• There's always the FA Cup third round for those teams to get their glamour tie.

• I am so glad we don't have to play in that tinpot league next season. So many teams in there I would not want to watch every week.

• Interesting decision bearing in mind the financial impact of Covid. Not sure when fans will be back this season, so we may not get the sell out games they are hoping for. Clearly an investment in the future but should we have used this year to invest only in the first team, hopefully secure our place in the Championship and then make this decision for the 2021/2 season.

• I disagree @davecz. To invest in the first team to any extent would cost millions and if done would probably breach FFP and potentially put us in financial do do. The Couhigs do not (as far as I am aware) have a bottomless pit of cash

In my opinion our only realistic chance of becoming an established Championship side (this may initially mean becoming a yo yo side), it is better to try and develop players for resale as Brentford have done and Exeter in League 2 and build a solid financial base. The only way to do this is via a development squad.

• @mooneyman - don’t disagree we need to be developing our own talent to in time sell on but this maybe the only time, we have a chance to stay in the Championship by investing money in the first team only this year. Clearly we don’t have millions but can you honestly see us becoming a yo, yo side. It’s taken us all our history to get here. Don’t waste the opportunity.

• It'll be great to know we can dip into the development/youth team in case of an injury crisis for the first time in...how long has it been? A decade or so?

Those days where we could just about squeeze 4 subs onto the bench are oh so fresh in the memory.

• Another reason I think it is a good shout is that they will learn the Wycombe ethos, so any transition to the first team should be more seamless from a character standpoint.

• How many hours a week just training on shithousery #thewycombeway?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    How many hours a week just training on shithousery #thewycombeway?

24/7 :smiley:

• Saw a dude walking round sainsburys yesterday wearing an Ipswich Town face mask....I thought it was quaint to see folks supporting the small tin pot teams from league one.....maybe our B team could play them for practice......

• Exeter get a sell on windfall of £4.2m for Ollie Watkins who they sold in 2017. Just shows the potential of developing young players.