Skip to content

Chairboys Central 2020/21 build-up

edited August 2020 in Football

Everything building up to the new CHAMPIONSHIP season in one place: https://chairboyscentral.com/category/2020-21-build-up/

Starting with a look at the current state of the squad and what we might add: https://chairboyscentral.com/tag/squad-goals/

Comments

• Thanks for these articles @chairboyscentral

It’s getting closer! :)

• Seeing these graphics has made it feel a lot more real ?

• Am I right in thinking we've already played 19 of these teams in league football?

Pretty sure we've also already beaten the majority of these in league football too.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Am I right in thinking we've already played 19 of these teams in league football?

Pretty sure we've also already beaten the majority of these in league football too.

Yeah, haven't played Forest or Boro in the league and haven't played Blackburn or Derby in any competition.

• And how many league points have we already collected against the clubs we've played.

Is it around 1.74 per game?

• Haha, maybe...

Coventry, Norwich, Watford and Wednesday are probably the only ones we've never beaten?

• We've beaten lots of them over the years and I am looking forward to a good few more in the next few months.

The away win at Birmingham is particularly memorable for me. First ever season the the third tier and a great win against a big club showed we belong.

• Thanks @chairboyscentral Gawd...the butterflies are starting.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    We've beaten lots of them over the years and I am looking forward to a good few more in the next few months.

The away win at Birmingham is particularly memorable for me. First ever season the the third tier and a great win against a big club showed we belong.

Was that one where Cyrille scored, and Hutch or someone said Birmingham had the wrong Regis?

• I remember listening on the radio on the way back from St Andrew's after a hasty/hairy exit on our mini bus.
    Some Brummy rang in, "Bloody Cyrille Regis has played and caused havoc against us, for every Midlands club, and weve got his lousy bloody.. cousin'.

• "interesting" walk back to the car that night

Always remember it for the comical sight of Jose Dominguez being up against Terry Evans

• Dominguez was tearing our full back apart that night, and Fatty Fry substitutes him !!

• @ChasHarps said:
    Dominguez was tearing our full back apart that night, and Fatty Fry substitutes him !!

See my memory of that night was Simon Stapleton marking him and confusing him by simply standing up and not diving in to the tackle. Not sure whether he was full back or not.

• Final two pieces looking at the current and potential make-up of the squad here

• Thanks for these! @chairboyscentral

• I seem to be being asked to log-in or start up a website when I click those links. Have I been excluded again.

• @Wendoverman Sorry, it's closed off while I make some changes - will be back up by tonight!

• Phew! The day I decide to start my own website it really will be the end of civilisation as we know it.

• @Wendoverman It'll let you in again now!

• Were you allowed in again @Wendoverman ?

• Sorry was offline for a while. I can confirm that @chairboyscentral website is now fully inclusive.

• Also interesting stuff @chairboyscentral . We may have some potential deficiencies in our promotion squad...but it's pretty exciting waiting to see just how they will do, isn't it?

• I also thought they were really good pieces and thought-provoking.

I did feel, though, that they underplayed the potential of both Thompson and Kashket to contribute in the Championship. Whilst they had quiet play-offs, they both contributed significantly last season at other times and showed the kind of talent in their different roles which led me to think that they might seize the opportunity in the second tier, if they can get fit and firing.

• Yeah, I'm just less sure about how Thompson and Kashket will fit in than I am with other players so didn't want to shoehorn them into the pieces for the sake of it - doesn't mean they won't fit in!

• I think Scotty has become a bit of a forgotten man and we've seen so little of him over the past couple of seasons, it's difficult to assess whether or not this will be 'his time' to get over his injury and off-field problems and finally unleash the quality we have seen in the past. I think Thompson will be there to be Blooms when Blooms is needed but is not available, if that makes sense, but he worked so well with the ball when given so little space by opposition over the past couple of seasons, he may be one of the ones for whom the Championship is a much better fit. And to be fair there will also be far more flair players in the higher league who possibly 'don't like it up them' in a midfield battle!
    :smile:

• Kashket could probably score goals in any division given a chance.
    But it's hard right now to see him starting too often, let alone once we presumably bring in enhanced quality.

• edited August 2020

Thompson and Gape back in tandem in the middle of the park will be absolutely key to our success this season. I'd love to see Ofoborh back, but I suspect it's unlikely. Blooms will undoubtedly be used more sparingly through necessity as much as anything else. He may well be fit, but he's 36 and will be 37 in February which matters, particularly when you are playing at the highest level you've ever played. I'd expect to see him used as he was in the play-off final, as and when he starts.

I love Scotty K, and I'd love to see him get a decent chance in the side and find form this season. I just find it very difficult to see. I've always wanted to see him and Fred playing off Bayo or insert other target man or perhaps David Wheeler here.

• ....or the new target man” ?

• Oh, I put it inside less than and greater than signs which seems to have made it disappear. Bear with me...