Skip to content

The teams that we will be playing next season

Comments

• edited July 2020

How annoyed must Charlton be? Barnsley get saved by Wigan's punishment being applied this season, but an earlier offense by Sheffield Wednesday gets punished next season.

• I feel very bad for Charlton Athletic as whilst I have respect for both Charlton Athletic and Sheffield Wednesday, I believe the rules are the rules, and Sheffield Wednesday should be relegated. I do wonder if this means Wigan Athletic verdict could be reconsidered though. I do wonder if Derby County will be deducted points too because of their alleged offence too.

In the meantime #announcesurvival

• Either way, it will be weird to be off the bottom going to into the season, where we usually are based on alphabet!

• edited July 2020

So apparently Wednesday put the payment through in a later accounting period than Derby - so could have been seen to be gaining an unfair FFP advantage. Derby also had theirs signed off by the EFL - but there's still a verdict to come.

• Charlton certainly have every right to be furious.

The league taking ages to decide, and then saying there's no time for an appeal, is utterly incredible to use as a defence!

• That said, Charlton aren't in a great state themselves.

• @Shev, I assume that it didn't take long to deduct 12 points from Wigan because there was no debate about the offence? There was no denying that had gone into administration. The fact that they are mounting an appeal isn't really relevant to how quickly the points deduction is imposed.
    For Sheffield Wednesday and indeed Derby, the alleged offence is much more difficult to investigate and to determine if the rules have been broken. Hence the delay in making the judgement and imposing the sanction.
    Also, I believe that the EFL Rules dictate when the points deduction for going into administration are imposed. Not so for the FFP irregularities.

All that said, if I were a Charlton fan I'd want the club to seek a review. However, as a Wycombe fan I'd rather they impose the sanction in season 20/21.

• edited August 2020

Eddie Howe has left Bournemouth

• @Twizz said:
    @Shev, I assume that it didn't take long to deduct 12 points from Wigan because there was no debate about the offence? There was no denying that had gone into administration. The fact that they are mounting an appeal isn't really relevant to how quickly the points deduction is imposed.
    For Sheffield Wednesday and indeed Derby, the alleged offence is much more difficult to investigate and to determine if the rules have been broken. Hence the delay in making the judgement and imposing the sanction.
    Also, I believe that the EFL Rules dictate when the points deduction for going into administration are imposed. Not so for the FFP irregularities.

All that said, if I were a Charlton fan I'd want the club to seek a review. However, as a Wycombe fan I'd rather they impose the sanction in season 20/21.

Good points @Twizz - but I would still be fuming if I was Charlton, as the Sheffield Wednesday investigation did lag, only to be wrapped up a week or so after the season ended. The timing would be infuriating even if the process was all honest and above board.

• It certainly feels like the investigation did lapse for a while then get wrapped up very quick. However, without being privy to more information it's impossible to say what the truth is.
    For all we know it may be that they have completed the investigation as fast as they could - I would presume that doing any kind of forensic accounts analysis between March and July was almost impossible - and expedited their findings to allow any appeal to be complete before the new season starts.
    If Charlton are granted a review I will assume there was possibly some underhand goings on. Otherwise they just have to accept the outcome and timing of the points deduction (if it happens) much like league 1 teams had to accept PPG.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Eddie Howe has left Bournemouth

I know he was born in Amersham, but shame on him angling for the Wycombe job like that.

• edited August 2020

Gareth is already down to 12-1 for the Bournemouth hot seat.

• Bookies! What do they know? What a culture shock for Bournemouth that would be! It ain’t gonna happen. Relax everybody.

• I really should know you better by now @mooneyman, winding us up like that.

• It means some idiot or idiots have placed a bet with Sky @micra. Perhaps the ex club shop employee who is/was privy to our manager's intentions!

• Whatever happened to RichieEmuRMJ?
    Miss his ever reliable transfer tips. (And I’m not referring to fake tattoos.)

• @micra said:
    Whatever happened to RichieEmuRMJ?
    Miss his ever reliable transfer tips. (And I’m not referring to fake tattoos.)

I don't think he'll be back. I think he left a couple of clues to his real status with a few similarly timed tweets lets say..

• I thought emus made a grunting noise rather than a tweet!

• Impressed with your ornithological knowledge @mooneyman.

• Barnsley now confirmed as Wigan lose appeal. No real surprise.

Final place decided tonight. I prefer Brentford as a club to Fulham but actually I do think there is a possibility that if Fulham go up, Masson May go out on loan. In that case Swansea perhaps favourites but we may be a possible. Believe my nowtv subscription expired yesterday which is a shame

• edited August 2020

Norwich looking to buy Mawson as a replacement for Ben Godfrey according to Sky Sports

• ah shame

• Football really is a funny old game:

Barnsley: Injury time winner v Forest + injury time winner v Brentford, + Fulham equalizer against Wigan, + Wigan appeal denied = Survival.

Charlton: Barnsley injury time winner v Forest + Barnsley injury time winner v Brentford + Two Blackburn own goals against Luton + Sheffield Wednesday's fate being decided a week too late = Relegation.

• @Shev said:
    Football really is a funny old game:

Barnsley: Injury time winner v Forest + injury time winner v Brentford, + Fulham equalizer against Wigan, + Wigan appeal denied = Survival.

Charlton: Barnsley injury time winner v Forest + Barnsley injury time winner v Brentford + Two Blackburn own goals against Luton + Sheffield Wednesday's fate being decided a week too late = Relegation.

Let's hope we're safely out the way of any fun on the last day next season.

But that Charlton/Sheff Wed decision is an absolute travesty.

Imagine being relegated because another club's wrongdoing can't be punished in the season it took place in!

• After Fulham beat Brentford in the playoff final the teams division next season is the following:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Barnsley
    Birmingham City
    Blackburn Rovers
    Brentford
    Bristol City
    Cardiff City
    Coventry City
    Derby County
    Huddersfield Town
    Luton Town
    Middlesbrough
    Millwall
    Norwich City
    Nottingham Forest
    Preston North End
    Queens Park Rangers
    Reading
    Rotherham United
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Stoke City
    Swansea City
    Watford
    Wycombe Wanderers

COYB!!

• edited August 2020

Found this link for the prices for away tickets last season.

A few disclaimers about category game - you'd imagine we won't be anyone's A game, even Reading, so not quite as high as I'd imagined - probably averaging mid/high 20s.

Leeds aside, £37-39!! Thank goodness they've gone.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/every-championship-clubs-away-ticket-prices/

• What do we charge for an away ticket these days?

• Most of them pretty reasonable, L1 and L2 clubs often similar, Luton seems high but only on the basis that it's a pit.

• 25% of the Championship will begin with 'B'

It's a honeytrap!