Skip to content

Game of the Season

Apart from the playoff games (otherwise this poll is a bit pointless) what would you vote as the best game of the season? If 'Other', which one?

Pretty interesting that all the contenders are home games...

Poll not found

Comments

• For me the goaless draw at Ipswich was almost the perfect away performance. Barring the late penalty miss we went toe to toe with one of the divisions big teams at their ground.
      It showed to me we were capable of big things

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
      For me the goaless draw at Ipswich was almost the perfect away performance. Barring the late penalty miss we went toe to toe with one of the divisions big teams at their ground.
      It showed to me we were capable of big things

Agree 100%. My favourite 'moment' of the season, was at the end of that game. The players came over to thank us for the support, and JJ was clearly upset at having missed the penalty. However, 100s of us singing the 'Wycombe's number 3' song, and there being no negative reaction (that I could see or hear) from our part of the ground towards JJ, left me thinking that we had things in perspective and were tight as a group. All of that, in addition to the points that @Right_in_the_Middle made, meant I left Portman Road with a 'Readybrek' glow that night

• Rotherham away for me

• Lincoln at home for me. I was never in doubt at any stage that we would win that one, (once the game had kicked off), a rare moment for me in that I could see from the set up what the game plan was. Sit deep, let them play tikka takka & hit them on the break. The plan was executed so perfectly, but for a rather cretinous decision by the referee which led to their goal, I had a very comfortable fan experience.

• edited August 2020

For similar reasons to @Right_in_the_Middle above it has to be the 1-0 home win over Sunderland for me. Everything from Charles' goal, his celebration to the away end and Rocky's unbelievable last gasp save to keep out McGeady was exceptional.

Seeing us deservedly beat such a "big" club on our own patch, in the same week that GA reportedly turned down their manager's job was the moment I finally thought we could really make some big noise in League 1.

The less said about the away game the better...

• edited August 2020

A tough one, but I had to go Southend. Perhaps the game suffers by being against such a poor side, and the three second half Wycombe goals were scored at the away end, but it was a mental day. 2-0 and 3-1 down, and then the late late show for both the equalizer and winner. It's hard to beat a 4-3 with a late comeback, as Marcus Bean will attest!

Second would be Lincoln - in some ways our most impressive game of the regular season, and it included an incredible JJ hattrick and our ascent to the top of League One.

But then there is that amazing 3-3 against a fantastic Peterborough side, which left Darren Ferguson fuming that we prevented them going on to glory, a theme that would be revisited in a significant way later in the season...

We certainly have a lot to choose from. If one was to include playoffs, it would be hard to beat the 4-1 drubbing of Fleetwood, as that game really did have everything!

• I generally only go Home (except this season for an ill-fated trip to MK) but it does bring home to me how many really good games we saw this season and why I was confident even pre-lock down that despite a dip we were still in the running for a play-off spot.