Skip to content

Moment that defined the season

We had some memorable wins and scored some memorable goals this season, and there are some amazing moments on and off the field that will live on perpetually - Trevor Stroud announcing Fred, Wheeler against MK, Scotty against Southend, JJ's hattrick, RC running through the rain to the fans, and so on, right up to the iconic playoff moments against Fleetwood and Oxford.

However, if someone asked me to sum up 2019/20 Wycombe Wanderers, I would not turn to a goal, but to the sequence of events that preserved the 3-3 draw against Peterborough at Adams Park, from 1:56 in the highlights video:

The tenacity, the refusal to be beaten, the throwing of bodies on the line, and the team effort...it's all there. I feel like someone could learn more about the team in those ten-odd seconds than any other similar period of time throughout the season.

Comments

• Wholeheartedly agree @Shev i reminisced about that game in the Vere many a time this season. Really thought we could do something after that. Noice.

• I'd put our huge 4-3 comeback against Southend, and the last minute winner against MK Dons at home, as huge moments too.

• I've just watched the MK Dons highlights back again and my god, the terrace when the final goal goes in is like a tidal wave.

• All the above and many more, but the defining moment for me has to be Eastwood taking out Fred at Wembley, without that incident not sure we'd be in the championship

• @RogertheBandito Didn't @bluntphil call that moment absolutely right, when he contrasted Marcus Browne not bothering to chase down the slightly tired back pass to Allsop? As he said, that would not have been acceptable in this Wycombe side, and was what allowed Allsop to make the well-judged kick forward under no pressure, for Fred to run onto doggedly and win the penalty.

While mentioning Phil - many congratulations on the birth of the future Wanderer.

• Whether that defender heard a call or not I'm still amazed he ducked that ball.

Miles out from goal, the simplest header ever with zero risk, it just beggars belief.

Just pure lotto letting that bounce and hoping it has enough legs to get to the keeper without anyone running onto it.

• Good shout Shev...and also shows that Rocky for all his faults also saved that point for us at the end.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    I've just watched the MK Dons highlights back again and my god, the terrace when the final goal goes in is like a tidal wave.

Any chance of a link to that video?

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    I've just watched the MK Dons highlights back again and my god, the terrace when the final goal goes in is like a tidal wave.

Any chance of a link to that video?

• The two awful penalty decisions made the late goal even sweeter

• @RogertheBandito said:
    All the above and many more, but the defining moment for me has to be Eastwood taking out Fred at Wembley, without that incident not sure we'd be in the championship

Fair shout - and there are lots of great moments. My point was more about a sequence that would sum up the team to someone else. I think the Eastwood foul could be a candidate owing to the contrasting effort (or lack thereof) between the Oxford player and Fred. And goals such as the Wheeler winner were superb in their own right. But for me that sequence at Peterborough showcases and encapsulates the team in a way no other moment does.

• @OxfordBlue said:

Limbs?

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@OxfordBlue said:

Limbs?

Deffo. Many an oldie or kid clattered into the railings.